The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Iron Maiden -- Kansas City, MO -- September 7th, 2013

The legendary Iron Maiden returned to Kansas City after 13 long years to a crowd of over 15,000 on a sweltering Saturday night. The anticipation of the legendary British heavy metal band was too much for most of the fans in attendance, resulting in multiple impromptu sing-alongs while waiting in line for the doors to open. The rabid fanbase is legendary for their devotion to the band - in Kansas City alone there were attendees from Canada, Brazil and England.

After the usual pre-show ritual of playing UFO's "Doctor Doctor" over the PA, Maden exploded onto stage with "Moonchild" from their 1988 album "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son," which was the basis for most of the setlist that night. "Seventh Son" isn't the most recognizable album for casual Iron Maiden fans, resulting in a less-than responsive crowd for deep cuts such as "The Clairvoyant" and the title track, but there was a huge crowd response for the heavy metal anthems "The Number Of The Beast" and "Run To The Hills," but that's to be expected. The crowd, overall, was one of the most engaging crowds that the Sprint Center has ever seen.

Iron Maiden, first and foremost, are entertainers - and entertain they did. The set was stuffed to the brim with explosions and pyrotechnics and animatronic demons. During one of the band's best known songs "The Trooper," the Iron Maiden mascot Eddie the Head came out on stage dressed in civil war garb complete with a rapier and towered over the musicians and delighted the crowd to no end. Other appearances from Eddie were a giant bespectacled Eddie sculpture for "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and a replica of the Eddie from the "Seventh Son" album art, complete with real fire coming out of the top of his head.

Legendary frontman Bruce Dickinson was all over the stage, bounding from side to side and launching himself off monitors before retreating backstage only to come out on the elevated part of the stage in costume. The 55 year-old with one of the greatest voices in music history has more energy on stage than most frontmen half his age. The rest of the band was just as energetic - founder Steve Harris on bass ran from side-to-side engaging the crowd and emphatically singing and "shooting" the crowd with his guitar. The trio of guitarists in Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers were all mixed beautifully with neither of their guitars drowning out the others, and their guitar solos in songs came through clear. Nicko McBrain on drums was hidden behind his multiple cymbals, but a video camera projecting onto screens flanking the stage showed him drumming away with a permanent smile on his face.

Whether they were playing their hits or some deeper cuts, Iron Maiden never gave less than 100%. It was a memorable concert not just because it's a legendary band, but they put on one of the best performances that the Sprint Center has ever seen.

Opening the show was another legendary band, thrash metal titans Megadeth. Fronted by controversial shredder Dave Mustaine, the band ripped through a short set with little in-between song banter that they're usually known for. They opened with "Hangar 18" from their amazing "Rust In Peace" album and kept most of the set in their classic albums. A rare performance of "In My Darkened Hour" set most of the crowd into one big mosh pit and their political anthem "Peace Sells" incited a huge chant from everyone. It was a quick set, but Megadeth made the most of it and was the perfect opener for Iron Maiden.

Iron Maiden:

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes To Midnight
5. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. Phantom Of The Opera
9. Run To The Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear Of The Dark
14. Iron Maiden
----
15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

Megadeth:

1. Hangar 18
2. Wake Up Dead
3. In My Darkest Hour
4. Sweating Bullets
5. Kingmaker
6. Tornado Of Souls
7. Peace Sells
8. Symphony Of Destruction
----
9. Holy Wars

Iron Maiden: 10/10
Megadeth: 9/10
10/22 - Mastodong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Are In My Darkest hour & Tornado that rare?

I've only seen Megadeth once and I've seen every song on that set except for Kingmaker.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM

I think they are only rare in the last few years. Don't think they've been playing Tornado since the RIP tours.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 AM

My personal thoughts:

Iron Maiden was everything I thought it would be and more. Like honestly, this is probably the only thing that I've had hyped up so hard and it actually exceeded my expectations. When they were playing The Prisoner and Aces High and The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do, I was in fucking heaven.

The crowd was pretty good from where I was for most of the songs, though I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more singing along to songs like Seventh Son and Phantom of the Opera, but it more than made up for it for how crazy everyone went for the hits, especially NOTB and Fear of the Dark. Singing along with Peace Sells with everyone used to be one of my favorite concert memories, but now the chilling feeling I get when everyone was singing along with the opening of Fear of the Dark is my favorite concert moment ever. May just have been the best concert experience of my life!

Also Megadeth was really good. Dave kept his mouth shut and just shred, which is exactly what I wanted him to do. Tornado of Souls rules!
10/22 - Mastodong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

Maiden was actually selling merch outside of the Sprint Center before doors opened, so that was awesome. I thought I was gonna have to get in line early so I could get merch and still get a good spot. They were only selling shirts outside, but inside they had their own stand selling flags and then other stuff like cups (these were actually really fucking cool) and some other stuff.

Shirts were $40 except for the stupid Affliction-looking one, which was $50.
10/22 - Mastodong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Are In My Darkest hour & Tornado that rare?

I've only seen Megadeth once and I've seen every song on that set except for Kingmaker.
I know that Tornado hasn't been in the set for a while. Also I'm just using flowery language because that's my "professional" review, cut me some slack. :P
10/22 - Mastodong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

So many merch choices. Think I'm gonna get the event shirt tonight, then the Maiden England 2013 shirt later if they put it online.

Last edited by anomynous; 09-08-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Which shirt did you get? I got the Seventh Son one myself when I seen them in June. Maiden are untouchable when it's a classics set.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
Which shirt did you get? I got the Seventh Son one myself when I seen them in June. Maiden are untouchable when it's a classics set.
Just the North America event shirt. I really like the eddie as uncle sam take on the seventh son artwork, but i REALLY like the tattered US + British flags on the back. Also less dates = "Kansas City" is in a bigger font
10/22 - Mastodong
10/27 - DJ Qbert
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

back home in Montreal, the whole trip went great , I'm really happy I did it

show was nothing short of awesome. Maiden were on fire like always and the Kansas city crowd was one of the best, if not THE best U.S. crowd I have ever seen.

sorry we have missed eachother Manky but I'm happy you finally saw the greatest metal band on earth.

Here a pic I took during the show

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Tags
iron maiden, megadeth