Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA-- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Hardly. All the story arcs just did nothing. No cliffhanger, no sub-storylines were concluded. Literally felt like the season just ended half way through. As a season ending it was awful.

It's times like this though that I like that I don't watch some stuff until it's about three seasons old. Means I don't have to put up with this shit
No cliffhanger? The series ends with the guarantee that a gigantic war is about to start and that none of the sides should be discounted. Game of Thrones' source material is a series of books that rely on continuity, not conclusion - show carries on in a similar manner. It has it's flaws, certainly, but as a series it's endings do what they need to do, make people want to watch the next season.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
No cliffhanger? The series ends with the guarantee that a gigantic war is about to start and that none of the sides should be discounted.
That's not a cliffhanger. It was obvious from about episode 5, maybe even earlier. The whole thing has been about all the factions going to war.

Quote:
It has it's flaws, certainly, but as a series it's endings do what they need to do, make people want to watch the next season.
Exactly. Because they aren't endings. The story is merely part way through. Born out by the fact that the seasons are so short - half the length of a normal US drama - and the episodes are numbered consecutively from season to season. They're telling the story in half season chunks and calling them full seasons. It's like saying episode 10 of a regular US series does it's job by making people want to watch episode 11, it's just in this case episode 11 is the first one of the second "season". It's probably partly as a means of dragging it out for as long as possible without going to 'Lost' extents of idiotic plot twists, and because it likely costs so damn much to make they need to spread the production costs out.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull

Last edited by ravenheart; 09-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Now watching season 2 of Homeland. Fuck me Carrie is annoying.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
That's not a cliffhanger. It was obvious from about episode 5, maybe even earlier. The whole thing has been about all the factions going to war.

Exactly. Because they aren't endings. The story is merely part way through. Born out by the fact that the seasons are so short - half the length of a normal US drama - and the episodes are numbered consecutively from season to season. They're telling the story in half season chunks and calling them full seasons. It's like saying episode 10 of a regular US series does it's job by making people want to watch episode 11, it's just in this case episode 11 is the first one of the second "season". It's probably partly as a means of dragging it out for as long as possible without going to 'Lost' extents of idiotic plot twists, and because it likely costs so damn much to make they need to spread the production costs out.
Okay, it may not be a cliffhanger, but it certainly is intriguing and exciting.

Well, actually, you're somewhat wrong there. US story based dramas are often around the 10-13 episode mark per season. Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad - all around the 12 episode mark per season. Usually if a show has more than that, it has a format that allows for 'case of the week' episodes, like Supernatural, or House (I say usually, Prison Break and Lost are the only two that come to mind as pure story based shows that are 20 episodes a season). Episodes that don't continue the plot and just play with the format. Game of Thrones is 10-12 episodes a season because it's entirely story-based, and it has a source material that it is keeping very close to it's chest (though much like LOTR, stuff has been cut from the books, some necessary, some not so much). It would certainly have to do with production costs, but it also fits the format of the type of show it is. That said, it could be argued that season 3 is 24 episodes, because book 3 has been split up to two seasons due to the amount of story-line strands, the story would have been impossible to convey in 12 episodes. Unlike Lost, it has a set story that it has yet to deviate from in any major way, so the plot twists aren't going to be ridiculous and seem made up on the spot.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Okay, it may not be a cliffhanger, but it certainly is intriguing and exciting.
Only if you didn't realise that was the whole point from episode 4 onwards. Honestly, the other things going on, like the Lannister's gradual undermining of everything and whether or not the Starks can stop them, or the apparent return of the White Walkers, are far more intriguing story arcs than a war. A war is just a given. But they kind of just left those hanging where they were so they could show a couple of baby dragons to get people excited.

Have you seen the alternate ending to the Amanda Seyfried version of Red Riding Hood? It was basically that. Actually, they're both just the ending to every contrived '80s sci fi movie that ends with a baby being born to leave the possibility of a sequel open. Yes, it's part of the story for GoT, and yes it needs to be done, but as an ending to a season it was beyond weak.

Is that how the first book ends?

Quote:
Well, actually, you're somewhat wrong there. US story based dramas are often around the 10-13 episode mark per season. Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad
Hmm, yeah, there are definitely more short ones than long ones. Although '24' is the biggest exception to the rule I can think of.

Quote:
Unlike Lost, it has a set story that it has yet to deviate from in any major way, so the plot twists aren't going to be ridiculous and seem made up on the spot.
Fortunately, I didn't expect it to. It seemed better than that, and Lost was just the dumbest shit, so I didn't think they'd make that mistake.

I'm not sure what to expect from season 2 (although it was dispatched this morning ), but really, calling the whole thing "seasons" is just wrong. It's one long thing and they clearly intended it to be that with the consecutive episode numbering. They just needed to make it in chunks because, let's face it, stations wouldn't be happy with something that wasn't appropriately divided into their concept of seasons. But it's pretty obvious the story doesn't fit that and they didn't do a very good job of making it pretend it does - probably on purpose, if I'm honest. I'm enjoying the fact that for the time being I can watch it properly, consecutively as it was clearly written to be, instead of having to wait for the gaps to end. I'll be annoyed when I get to the end of season 3 and can't watch season 4 yet

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull
Old 09-04-2013, 05:46 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Quote:
Only if you didn't realise that was the whole point from episode 4 onwards. Honestly, the other things going on, like the Lannister's gradual undermining of everything and whether or not the Starks can stop them, or the apparent return of the White Walkers, are far more intriguing story arcs than a war. A war is just a given. But they kind of just left those hanging where they were so they could show a couple of baby dragons to get people excited.

Have you seen the alternate ending to the Amanda Seyfried version of Red Riding Hood? It was basically that. Actually, they're both just the ending to every contrived '80s sci fi movie that ends with a baby being born to leave the possibility of a sequel open. Yes, it's part of the story for GoT, and yes it needs to be done, but as an ending to a season it was beyond weak.

Is that how the first book ends?

I'm not sure what to expect from season 2 (although it was dispatched this morning ), but really, calling the whole thing "seasons" is just wrong. It's one long thing and they clearly intended it to be that with the consecutive episode numbering. They just needed to make it in chunks because, let's face it, stations wouldn't be happy with something that wasn't appropriately divided into their concept of seasons. But it's pretty obvious the story doesn't fit that and they didn't do a very good job of making it pretend it does - probably on purpose, if I'm honest. I'm enjoying the fact that for the time being I can watch it properly, consecutively as it was clearly written to be, instead of having to wait for the gaps to end. I'll be annoyed when I get to the end of season 3 and can't watch season 4 yet
More or less that is where the first book ends, but the books delivery of things is a good deal different. More story-strands and stuff, but that was the best note to end season 1 on considering where the story goes.

Yeah, it's definitely a progressive piece of television, pushing how much information can be portrayed in a chronological set of episodes without leaving out too much of the books. You will be annoyed with Season 3's ending, though.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Watched "Nomads" last night. A movie with Pierce Brosnan in 1986. Fuck, that was weird.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Just watched "No Country For Old Men". A classic example of a fine movie with a shitty ending.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Just watched "No Country For Old Men". A classic example of a fine movie with a shitty ending.
Thought it was a pretty average movie all over.

So, the last week or so (woo, long flights!):

Unknown - the Liam Neeson one, not the excellent Jim Caviezel one. Pretty good, liked it much more than the first Taken.

The Croods - yep, pretty funny stuff.

Wreck-It Ralph - again, funny stuff, and lots of mockery/name-drops of games from my youth.

Jack The Giant Slayer - not bad, quite funny, CGi for the giants wasn't great though.

Contagion - gets a bad rep, but I thought it was pretty decent. Bit more of a personal angle on the contagious disease scenario, and probably quite accurate regarding timescales for getting cures approved etc. Made it a bit more realistic-feeling than most (excluding the ones with the zombie angle, obviously).

The Bourne Legacy - poor. Tries to be complicated but doesn't have the intelligence needed for that, and ends with a whimper.

Dark Shadows - never fancied this from the trailer, but it's actually quite funny. Enjoyed it a lot.

Beautiful Creatures - not what I expected, and much better for it. Even if Emmy Rossum was really fucking annoying.

Epic - yeah, not bad. Not great. Funny in places.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull

Last edited by ravenheart; 09-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
You will be annoyed with Season 3's ending, though.
It'll probably be a lot longer until I see that. Very expensive on DVD.

25/9 Andrew O'Neill
8/10 Jex Thoth
13/10 The Skull