Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014
Nile -- Baltimore, MD -- April 15th, 2014
Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM
N00B

Alice In Chains -- Tinley Park, IL -- August 22nd, 2013

This is actually a review of all the bands I saw at Uproar Festival yesterday. I went there with my mom as there were a handful of bands I wanted to see and both of us wanted to see the new supergroup Walking Papers (featuring Duff McKagan original bassist of Guns N Roses and Barrett Martin drummer of both Mad Season and Screaming Trees) and attend their signing. Anyhow, I had a blast there! After the 2 and a half hour drive from Greenfield, WI (a suburb of Milwaukee), arrived at Uproar at about 2:50, as I wanted to get there in time to see the band New Politics...

New Politics (3:10-3:35)-
Give Me Hope
Dignity
Just Like Me
Tonight You're Perfect
Harlem
Yeah Yeah Yeah

^ The first time I heard New Politics was on the major Milwaukee alternative music station (FM 102/1) as they have played their song Harlem a handful of times, which I really enjoyed. They put on a great, energetic set. They just put out their second album earlier this year and on stage the singer said that they are in the midst of a year and a half tour for it. I would definitely see them again if they came to Milwaukee or Chicago.

Walking Papers signing-
As soon as New Politics ended we headed over to the Rockstar Energy Tent for the Walking Papers signing. I got my copy of their self-titled debut album signed and finally got to meet Duff McKagan, which was an honor. I also got the answer to a question I had always wondered about which was "who played the horns on the Guns N Roses song "Move To The City"? I was surprised enough to find out that it was Duff McKagan's brother who played the brass on that song. I also got a picture with him.

Danko Jones (4:40-5:09)-
The Rules
Had Enough
First Date
Sugar Chocolate
Legs
Lovercall
Cadillac
Full Of Regrets

^ After taking a break to sit down and eat some funnel cake we headed back to the side stage where we saw New Politics to get a good spot for Walking Papers. Danko Jones came on before them. The singer whose name is Danko Jones seemed like a complete spaz, saying he wished it was raining so he could separate the real rockers from the fakes. And then someone in the crowd requested one of their songs that was an album cut. He keep talking to the guy saying he would be cool and deviate from the written setlist. But in the end he didn't because he wanted to play a song that was 10x as better as the one requested, which he said was about oral sex. I definitely wasn't a fan but someone in the crowd near me got the set and I asked to copy it down into my notebook in case anyone here or on setlist.fm was interested in it.

Walking Papers (5:39-6:12)-
The Whole World's Watching
Red Envelopes
Your Secret's Safe With Me
Capital T
The Butcher
Two Tickets And A Room
Climber

^ Walking Papers put on a great rocking show, as expected. During "The Butcher" the singer Jeff Angel came out into the crowd catching me off guard and patting me on the shoulder. I got one of the setlists from the security off the stage which after they were down playing I got signed by singer Jeff Angel and drummer Barrett Martin who were doing another post-show signing. They are excellent musicians who put 110% into their performance and are very nice down to earth guys. I would definitely see them again.

Circa Survive (setlist courtesy of another user on setlist.fm)-
Oh, Hello
Sharp Practice
Holding Someone's Hair Back
In The Morning And Amazing...
The Lottery
Brother Song
Get Out

^ After getting the setlist signed, we headed over to the main amphitheater stage. I caught the last three songs or so of Circa Survive. Someone else posted the setlist on setlist.fm which is where I got it from to post it here. They were an average band. The singer was picking on some young kid in the audience named Josh and dedicated a song to him by saying "Josh, I hope you get your dick sucked someday".

Coheed And Cambria (7:12-7:52)-
Keeping The Blade
Key Entity Extraction V: Sentry The Defiant
A Favor House Atlantic
Goodnight, Fair Lady
Number City
Gravity's Union
Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)
Key Entity Extraction III: Vic The Butcher
Welcome Home

^ Coheed And Cambria was a band I was not familiar with their music, so it is another setlist I took courtesy of another user on setlist.fm. I thought they were an above average band. I really enjoyed the second to last song they played, Key Entity Extraction III: Vic The Butcher. I will probably look into a few of their albums

Jane's Addiction (8:19-9:18)-
Underground
Mountain Song
Had A Dad
Just Because
Ain't No Right
Been Caught Stealing
Another Soulmate
Three Days
Ocean Size
Stop!
Jane Says

^ Jane's Addiction was a band I was really excited to see. I love their music and have all four of their official studio albums. Towards the end of their set, Perry Farrell said that Jerry Cantrell is a "nice young man" and joked that he was perfect for your teenage daughter to date. They were fun to watch and I was glad to finally see them live. Although, I wish they would played "Ted, Just Admit It...", which is my favorite Jane's Addiction song.

Alice In Chains (9:44-10:55)-
Them Bones
Hollow
Again
Check My Brain
Man In The Box
Junkhead
Acid Bubble
We Die Young
Stone
Down In A Hole
No Excuses
Would?
Rooster

^ Finally, the time had come for Alice In Chains to take the stage. The band I was looking forward the most to finally be seeing live. I wanted to see them in May at The Rave in Milwaukee, but it was in the middle of my college finals week, so that didn't happen. Anyway, they put on one hell of a show! I wish they would have played Angry Chair, It Ain't Like That, and Your Decision but beggars can't be choosers. The set was awesome and Junkhead was definitely a big surprise highlight! One other missed opportunity I can think of is that they could have played Black Gives Way To Blue, a 2009 song dedicated to Layne Staley, whose birthday happened to be yesterday. Also, I was surprised at how poorly the show had sold, many seats near me were empty and the lawn was completely empty with the exception of one or two people. But regardless, I had such a great time yesterday and don't regret going by ANY means.
Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden (7/24)
Linkin Park/30 Seconds To Mars (8/29)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgrass View Post
^ Walking Papers put on a great rocking show, as expected. During "The Butcher" the singer Jeff Angel came out into the crowd catching me off guard and patting me on the shoulder. I got one of the setlists from the security off the stage which after they were down playing I got signed by singer Jeff Angel and drummer Barrett Martin who were doing another post-show signing. They are excellent musicians who put 110% into their performance and are very nice down to earth guys. I would definitely see them again.
It's a shame they couldn't have taken Circa or Coheed's spot on the main stage. I really hope they do a club tour of the States soon. The ones they were doing overseas they were playing their entire album plus five or so other unreleased songs.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
It's a shame they couldn't have taken Circa or Coheed's spot on the main stage. I really hope they do a club tour of the States soon.
I can't agree more!
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Headbanger

Junkhead!
6/29 - Primus
8/4 - Soundgarden & NIN
9/27 - Clutch & Janes Addiction
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Concert Veteran

According to setlist fm, Sludge Factory, Angry Chair and Nutshell got played last night in place of Junkhead, Acid Bubble and Down In A Hole.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-24-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
According to setlist fm, Sludge Factory, Angry Chair and Nutshell got played last night in place of Junkhead, Acid Bubble and Down In A Hole.
Man, I wish we would have got Angry Chair! I'm glad we got Down In A Hole though, it translated really well live, everybody who was there seemed to be into that one... must have been something in the air.

Tags
alice in chains, circa survive, coheed and cambria, danko jones, jane's addiction, new politics, walking papers