Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
N00B

IT'S BLACK AND WHITE!
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 AM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

There was a time in my life when I use to worship "Wisconsin Death Trip". I'm pretty sure i was in 6th grade or something. Wow, this thread really brings back old memories.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
...the dead are among us!

Shout out to anyone that listened to Nothingface back in the nu days. I remember them putting on a good show, but that's when I was young and thought if a band played songs I knew it was an excellent show regardless of how shitty the performance actually was.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Shout out to anyone that listened to Nothingface back in the nu days. I remember them putting on a good show, but that's when I was young and thought if a band played songs I knew it was an excellent show regardless of how shitty the performance actually was.
Love them. Still listen to Violence now. Great band.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
I actually didn't get into Nothingface until 2006 when a friend showed me Violence. Love that album. And that song "Ether" is catchy as hell. And I love "Walking on Bodies" that was recorded after they reformed for a bit and never released anywhere except their Myspace page. And then they broke up because of HellYeah.
12/27 - Protest the Hero
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

Slipknot- Iowa

1. "(515)" (Intro) 0:59
2. "People = Shit" 3:35
3. "Disasterpiece" 5:08
4. "My Plague" 3:40
5. "Everything Ends" 4:14
6. "The Heretic Anthem" 4:14
7. "Gently" 4:54
8. "Left Behind" 4:01
9. "The Shape" 3:37
10. "I Am Hated" 2:37
11. "Skin Ticket" 6:41
12. "New Abortion" 3:36
13. "Metabolic" 3:59
14. "Iowa" 15:04

HOLY shit was this an aggressive album; no not just aggressive album, Iowa punched you teeth in and laughed as you counted what you had left. In 2001 I had heard of Slipknot from their debut album and I liked some of the music ok but I was laughing at the whole mask and jumpsuit thing. But then a friend loaned me this and I was blown away; it has been said during the recording of Iowa that it was a very dark time for Slipknot and was a lot of in-fighting among the 9 members. Well all that anger turned into Gold as almost every track on Iowa pounds your senses and does not let up; shit the first song (not counting the intro) is called People=Shit; it is quite hard not to be more in your damn face than that

I consider myself a casual fan of Slipknot; I do like some of the stuff from the other 3 albums but not of those I feel even come close to the aggression this one offers; IMO, Slipknot slowly went downhill after this and never caught that fire they had here. To this today I enjoy songs like People=Shit, Left Behind, Disasterpiece, Gently, and the title track as much as I did 11 years ago.

today's score 9/10
11/11- Slipknot/Korn
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM
I know the songs you're singing saying nothing loud and clear I've heard that song a thousand times

I just noticed this thread and I can't believe the amount of good nu-metal albums being mention. The genre gets a bad rep from most metal fans and i am glad there is not a lot hate on here for it. For me, the years of 98-03 were some of the best times that I have had in my life. That is why I never grown to hate this genre but I can understand why older metalheads and the death/black fans hate this music.
7/24 - NIN/Soundgarden
8/28 - Linkin Park
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedX14 View Post
I just noticed this thread and I can't believe the amount of good nu-metal albums being mention. The genre gets a bad rep from most metal fans and i am glad there is not a lot hate on here for it. For me, the years of 98-03 were some of the best times that I have had in my life. That is why I never grown to hate this genre but I can understand why older metalheads and the death/black fans hate this music.
I credit nu-metal bands like Korn, Linkin Park and others in shaping my metal tastes; I feel like the majority of the hate came from these bands being super popular and getting time on the radio and TV a lot when metal in general doesn't really have that mainstream popularity. I may not listen to those bands much anymore but when I do I tend to still enjoy it as I did when I was in my early teens
11/11- Slipknot/Korn
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 AM

Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001

So I'm switching it up a little; I figured as long as I am showing the albums that got me into metal, why show the shows I went do and how my tastes changed and stayed the same over the years

This was my very first hard rock/metal concert and I'm 99% sure about that I do not recall going to anything else before 1999. So some back story on this show: Korn had started the Family Values tour in 1999 and due to their rise in popularity when they released Follow the Leader, the tour was a hit, along with the 2000 version. I heard that Family Values would be touring in 2001 and I automatically thought "Oh yea I get to see Korn" turns out Korn would not be headlining but Stone Temple Pilots and I did not realize this until my dad had gotten tickets for us. I was sad that I assumed Korn would be on the tour but to make up for it, Static-X, Linkin Park and Staind (more on them later in this thread) would be playing.

The first band up were pure shit; they were called Deadsy and from the time they started to finish it was nothing but booing from the crowd. The only reason I believe they got on the tour was that the singer for the band was Elijah Blue Allman who is the son of Cher and her second husband Gregg Allman. Needless to say the music was horrible and I was so glad when they left.

Theme from Dune[Intro]
The Key to Gramercy Park
Winners
Le Cirque En Rose (Obsolescence)
Flowing Glower
Mansion World

Static X came up next and they also were good; I recall them having some sound issues but they pushed through and gave a good show

Cold
Black and White
...In a Bag
I'm With Stupid
Push It
Love Dump

Next on the bill was Linkin Park; I was very excited to see them as I loved their debut album Hybrid Theory (my review is a couple pages back) and they kicked ass.

With You
Runaway
Papercut
By Myself
Points of Authority
Step Up
Pushing Me Away
In the End
A Place for My Head
Crawling
One Step Closer

Staind was next and was the band out of the 3 I liked that I was looking forward to; I'll review Break the Cycle here in a bit but it was my favorite album of 2001 so I loved every minute of the show

Open Your Eyes
Mudshovel
Fade
Take It
Outside
For You
Crawl
Suffer
It's Been Awhile
Spleen

Stone Temple Pilots headlined and since I had no idea who they were and the fact that it was a school night we left after a couple songs and I don't think I missed much STP is not really my cup of tea; this setlist is from a different city but I assume it is the same set

Wet My Bed
Crackerman
Vasoline
Wicked Garden
Big Empty
Dead & Bloated
Days of the Week
Sour Girl
Creep
Pretty Penny
Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Coma
Interstate Love Song
Plush
Moby Dick
Sex Type Thing

Deadsy: 1/10
Static X: 8/10
Linkin Park: 8.5/10
Staind: 9/10
Stone Temple Pilots: N/A

Note: in my research setlist.fm said Puddle of Mudd played on this tour; I do not remember them at my show so I assume they were only on for a few shows, more than likely the openers before getting replaced by Deadsy; I would have much prefered POM
11/11- Slipknot/Korn
11/19- Judas Priest
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Suck it I still love Deadsy!!! Even though I've yet to meet anyone else who actually did.