Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Old Guy

I just noticed this thread and agree mostly with your ratings but differ with some. I think you have rated Hell Awaits way too high and Reign in Blood too low, IMO Hell Awaits is forgettable except that the title track is awesome and the last track is good too. In advance I will agree with others and complain if Beneath the Remains doesn't get 10/10.

In 1986 Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood were the albums that made even kids in the suburbs like me notice thrash. I think all 3 of those records went gold and would be in my hypothetical Thrash Hall of Fame, not just for the greatness of the records themselves but the influence they had. Remember that there was no internet in 1986, radio wouldn't touch this stuff and MTV's Headbangers Ball wouldn't touch much of it and word of mouth/record sales and promotion was the only way a lot of people heard good music at all. A lot of people here seem to dismiss Master of Puppets as being the start of Metallica's sellout streak but for someone in 1986 who was first discovering this kind of music, it made a great start.

Totally agree with you with 5/10 for Detente, it gave no hint of the genius that Dawn Crosby would find with Fear of God's Within the Veil, one of the best albums of all time but you won't get to that one for several more years. Keep 'em coming!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:56 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Crew View Post
I just noticed this thread and agree mostly with your ratings but differ with some. I think you have rated Hell Awaits way too high and Reign in Blood too low, IMO Hell Awaits is forgettable except that the title track is awesome and the last track is good too. In advance I will agree with others and complain if Beneath the Remains doesn't get 10/10.

In 1986 Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood were the albums that made even kids in the suburbs like me notice thrash. I think all 3 of those records went gold and would be in my hypothetical Thrash Hall of Fame, not just for the greatness of the records themselves but the influence they had. Remember that there was no internet in 1986, radio wouldn't touch this stuff and MTV's Headbangers Ball wouldn't touch much of it and word of mouth/record sales and promotion was the only way a lot of people heard good music at all. A lot of people here seem to dismiss Master of Puppets as being the start of Metallica's sellout streak but for someone in 1986 who was first discovering this kind of music, it made a great start.

Totally agree with you with 5/10 for Detente, it gave no hint of the genius that Dawn Crosby would find with Fear of God's Within the Veil, one of the best albums of all time but you won't get to that one for several more years. Keep 'em coming!
I agree that those three albums from 1986 are of more influence than others, but that's not the point of this exercise. The fact is, is that we do have the internet now, and anyone can hear virtually any album ever with a few keystrokes and a bit of perseverance. I don't dismiss Master of Puppets at all... I think a 9/10 is a pretty strong score, same goes for Peace Sells at 9.5. I also don't dismiss Reign in Blood's far-reaching influence, but just because an album is influential, it doesn't mean it is the best ever, it just means a lot of people heard it. Of course, to be influential it does have to be good, which is what an 8/10 score would indicate. Obviously, this is all subject to my opinion as well, which some may agree with while others may not. Basically, I'm trying to look at all of these records while ignoring that word of mouth/promotion that you speak of. What if the internet had existed in the 1980's? Obviously the musical landscape would be much, much different, but let's not get crazy!

At any rate, I'm glad that many have found this thread entertaining, interesting, annoying, offensive or all of the above. Moving on...
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

F'rlz, bring on 87 already!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Deathrow - Riders of Doom - 1986

If Deathrow's Riders of Doom (originally named Satan's Gift, which was banned or something so they renamed it) was as good as the crushing, dynamic instrumental that opens it, "Winds of Death", it would be one hell of a debut! Unfortunately, these Germans are a little overzealous and most of the album sounds as if it's in danger of becoming unhinged. There is a clear influence from bands like Slayer and Kreator, and there are parts of this record that actually sound fucking vicious, but the band has trouble putting it all together without sounding kind of ridiculous at times. Overall, a pretty enjoyable, albeit flawed album.

Standouts: Winds of Death, Spider Attack, Dark Tales

Score: 6/10
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Living Death - Back to the Weapons - 1986

Well, it's clear that at some point after Living Death's second full length, Metal Revolution, the band decided that they wanted to start getting serious about thrash. The common thread in this four-song EP is speed; vicious, relentless speed. Vocalist Thorsten Bergmann screams along in a register probably only reserved for Overkill's Bobby Blitz at this point, and the rest of the bad screams along right with him. The songs themselves aren't exactly all that memorable or groundbreaking, but the aggression the band shows here is definitely a step in the right direction.

Standouts: The Way (Your Soul Must Go), Bloody Dance

Score: 6.5/10
Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction - 1986

Mortal Sin's debut is a bit of a throwback, as the band channels Metallica's Kill 'Em All with some Motorhead thrown in for good measure. The material here is neither very evil nor heavy, but it would definitely make for some good fun in the pit. Had it been released earlier, it would garner some higher marks but as it is these Aussies are just recycling what they've heard from their American counterparts.

Standouts: Mayhemic Destruction, Lebanon

Score: 5.5/10
Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Nasty Savage - Indulgence - 1986

While Nasty Savage's debut was campy, goofy heavy metal with thrash metal influences, the band's second full-length on the other hand, is thrash-fucking-metal! They don't make you wait for it, either. The opening track, "Stabbed In the Back" kicks things off right with a downright dirty (maybe even nasty?) thrash riff. The rest of the album continues in much the same vein, with fast, twisting riffs offset by slower, groovier pieces. Nasty Ronnie's vocals have also improved. While he still hits those King Diamond-esque high notes, he mostly sticks to a lower register, snarling and shouting his way through all eight tracks (track nine is an instrumental).

The subject matter has gotten more serious as well. While the debut album had song titles like "Dungeon of Pleasure" and "Metal Knights", Indulgence tackles heavier subject matter with songs like "Distorted Fanatic" and "Incursion Dementia" (which is a fucking monster, by the way). All in all, Indulgence is a hands-down winner, and if nothing else, signalled to California, New York & Germany that Florida was listening, and thrash metal's influence was growing.

Standouts: Incursion Dementia, Stabbed In the Back, Inferno

Score: 8/10
Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 PM

Necronomicon - Necronomicon - 1986

Back in the 90's, there used to be this commercial for light beer that this Necronomicon album made me think of. It went "If I wanted water, I'd ask for water." In this case, substitute 'water' for 'Destruction', and that pretty much sums up how I feel about this one. Necronomicon, at this point, are a poor man's Destruction, as they are sloppier than and not nearly as good at writing songs as those card-carrying members of the Teutonic Trio. In fact, there's really not one single song that is totally solid -- just when you think things are looking up, a weird guitar lead comes in or the vocalist does his best castrato impression. Necronomicon is a forgettable affair, and best left to idiots like yours truly to discover.

Standouts: None

Score: 1/10
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Onslaught - The Force - 1986
I somehow left Onslaught's debut album, Power From Hell off of my review queue, and I made sure not to make the same mistake with their second kick at the can, The Force. The Force picks up where the debut left off, except that there's a different vocalist and a more classic thrash metal sound to it. There are riffs aplenty here, and things start off very well but the album really gets going with "Fight With the Beast", continues with "Demoniac" and smashes you in the face with "Flame of the Antichrist". The sound is very aggressive and mosh-friendly, not unlike some of the better Bay Area output like Bonded By Blood or even Kill 'Em All but there's nothing really new here. With The Force, Onslaught solidifies themselves as yet another band in the seemingly endless army of blue collar thrash bands -- good enough to headbang to, not memorable enough to make a dent in your skull once the music is over.

Standouts: Flame of the Antichrist, Fight With the Beast, Demoniac

Score: 7/10
Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Sacrilege BC - Party With God - 1986

Sacrilege BC got lost in the shuffle when the big thrash bang happened in California, which is a shame because these guys played an extremely fast & violent brand of thrash. In fact, Party With God comes close to Reign in Blood in that regard, albeit with more of a punk vibe and much, much shittier production. It's not all speed though, with songs like "Skinned Alive" crushing the listener at a much slower pace before getting back to ludicrous speed for the guitar solo. There are times when the songs blend together a little bit, as Sacrilege BC were probably still honing their songwriting chops but songs like "Words of God" snap you back to attention. Judging by this album, Sacrilege BC deserved a better fate than to be a mere footnote in the history of thrash but it's gems like these that keep this crazy retrospective interesting.

Standouts: Skinned Alive, Fun With Napalm, Words of God

Score: 7/10

Up next... 1987!!