Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014
Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Gimme a break. I didn't produce the album, I'm just reviewing it. There are people throwing racial slurs around on this website without a bat of an eyelash and a silly album title like "The Severed Erection" gets deleted? Alright.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'm just joking around.

And the Keswick comment was the biggest joke of them all. I'm surprised when someone from Keswick can form sentences.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Yeah, I know it was a joke. I had a few drinks last night and posted while under the influence. I'm mostly just annoyed that my original post got taken down because of some cartoon boobies. I love Keswick jokes, now more than ever since I've become a resident!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Yeah, I know it was a joke. I had a few drinks last night and posted while under the influence. I'm mostly just annoyed that my original post got taken down because of some cartoon boobies. I love Keswick jokes, now more than ever since I've become a resident!
How long have you been here? I moved from Whitby just a little over a year ago. Some days I go to Walmart and see some people and wonder to myself, "how have you survived on your own for this long?".

You'd think living so near to Oshawa for so much of my life I'd be used to it but it's a different kind of person in Keswick. The way I see it is Keswick is like Oshawa's little brother, trying so hard to be like it but just never measuring up. Kinda like the brothers from Malcolm in the Middle. Oshawa is Francis, Keswick is Reece. Or maybe even somewhere between Reece and Dewey.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-05-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
How long have you been here? I moved from Whitby just a little over a year ago. Some days I go to Walmart and see some people and wonder to myself, "how have you survived on your own for this long?".

You'd think living so near to Oshawa for so much of my life I'd be used to it but it's a different kind of person in Keswick. The way I see it is Keswick is like Oshawa's little brother, trying so hard to be like it but just never measuring up. Kinda like the brothers from Malcolm in the Middle. Oshawa is Francis, Keswick is Reece. Or maybe even somewhere between Reece and Dewey.
I've lived here for about 3 years. I grew up in Aurora though, so I've known about (and made) the Keswick jokes for a long time. That Walmart is a sight to behold though, some real "interesting" people in there! Good analogy about Keswick and Oshawa though, it'll be interesting to see what happens here once the 404 extension is completed.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 AM

Anvil Bitch - Rise To Offend - 1986

With a wicked name like Anvil Bitch, you would hope that they'd be more than some one album, flash in the pan. You would hope that they could do more than recycle Metallica riffs buried under generic thrash vocals with below average production values. Yet that's exactly what Anvil Bitch did. It's not totally fucking awful, but at this point, with more and more quality bands surfacing, 'not awful' ain't good enough. Throw Rise To Offend in the "Only Thrash Die-Hard Idiots Like Gord Need To Hear This" bin. Truly unremarkable.

Standouts: Nothing, really.

Score: 2/10
Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 AM

At War - Ordered To Kill - 1986

At War were pretty standard fare for a 1986 thrash band. They were the thrashing everyman -- hard-working, full of attitude and enthusiasm, but a little short on originality and songwriting acumen. The album starts off well enough with the title track, then lulls for a couple songs before breaking into "Rapechase", a song that would be controversial if anyone ever heard it. It also sounds a lot like Motorhead which is funny since the next song is a Motorhead cover. At War do a great job on "The Hammer", which is a good thing but it kind of hurts their cause. It's obvious that "The Hammer" is head-and-shoulders a better song than any of the originals here and it kind of just makes me want to go listen to Motorhead.

Standouts: Ordered to Kill, Rapechase, Ilsa (She-Wolf of the SS)

Score: 4.5/10
Old 08-17-2013, 06:38 AM

Blood Money - Red, Raw and Bleeding! - 1986

Wow, sometimes an album really surprises you. I wasn't expecting much from this British quartet, but this is some good thrash. Heavily rooted in NWOBHM, it's a bit of a throwback but this is some down and dirty, riff-crazy stuff with some excellent, powerful, melodic vocals over top. And really, that's it -- vocalist Danny Foxx is so likeable in his role that the rest of the band could be playing some pretty generic stuff and it may receive a passing grade. Luckily though, the instrumentation is up to snuff, so this is a very enjoyable experience. Also, with song titles like "Deathstiny"... I mean, come on.

Standouts: Gor, Deathstiny, Death Heavy

Score: 7.5/10
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Cyclone - Brutal Destruction - 1986

It's not like Cyclone's debut album is without merit. I mean, depending on what you heard first, maybe you like it better than Feel the Fire, or Eternal Devastation, but I doubt it. This is not a groundbreaking release in any way, and while it may be a pretty spirited affair, the over-the-top vocals and pedestrian songwriting make sure it becomes nothing more than an also-ran in the great 1980's thrash race.

Standouts: Fall Under His Command, Fighting the Fatal

Score: 4/10
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Blood Money - Red, Raw and Bleeding! - 1986

Wow, sometimes an album really surprises you. I wasn't expecting much from this British quartet, but this is some good thrash. Heavily rooted in NWOBHM, it's a bit of a throwback but this is some down and dirty, riff-crazy stuff with some excellent, powerful, melodic vocals over top. And really, that's it -- vocalist Danny Foxx is so likeable in his role that the rest of the band could be playing some pretty generic stuff and it may receive a passing grade. Luckily though, the instrumentation is up to snuff, so this is a very enjoyable experience. Also, with song titles like "Deathstiny"... I mean, come on.

Standouts: Gor, Deathstiny, Death Heavy

Score: 7.5/10
I've heard a few tracks on YouTube and this is an excellent description. This is one gem that should be talked about more, and I really wish it was more widely available. I've never had any luck finding a copy.

Quote:
Cyclone - Brutal Destruction - 1986

It's not like Cyclone's debut album is without merit. I mean, depending on what you heard first, maybe you like it better than Feel the Fire, or Eternal Devastation, but I doubt it. This is not a groundbreaking release in any way, and while it may be a pretty spirited affair, the over-the-top vocals and pedestrian songwriting make sure it becomes nothing more than an also-ran in the great 1980's thrash race.

Standouts: Fall Under His Command, Fighting the Fatal

Score: 4/10
This description is absolutely bang-on, but I really like this album for some reason. The vocals are great, and "Fall Under His Command" is a wicked track.
10/18 - King Diamond