Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Dittohead

Heavy MTL Festival Day 2 -- Montreal, Quebec -- August 11th, 2013

My body is beat down, bruised and incredibly sore! Damn Im getting old!! I could only afford to go to one day of the festival this year but what a day it was!!! I gathered most of the sets from setlist.fm as there was no way I was gonna remember them all in order. But they do seem to be in order there. So here we go...

Drove from Ottawa and arrived later than we had originally planned as one buddy was running late when we arrived to get him. So we got there a little before 3 and walked in as Finntroll were playing. We only caught the last 2 songs unfort.

Next up was Amon Amarth and man did they start the day off right for us! This was my first time seeing them as I have recently become a fan of theirs (dunno why I didnt before) and they really got the place going. The pits were strong and the band was tight! They put on a great performance! How can you not like Viking metal huh?!?!?

Set:
War of the Gods
Deceiver of the Gods
Runes to My Memory
For Victory or Death
The Pursuit of Vikings
Father of the Wolf
Destroyer of the Universe
Death in Fire
Twilight of the Thunder God

Next up was the LEGEND Philip H Anslemo and the Illegals! I have seen Pantera several times and Down several times as well over the years, so no matter what Phil does, he is going to be known as one of the greatest metal frontmen of all time! He came out to a thunderous cheer and applause from the rowdy crowd! I checked out his solo stuff a month ago and while the album has received some different reviews, for obvious reasons, it definitley sounds terrific live!! I was a little disappointed that we didnt get the Pantera/Superjoint Ritual duo of Death Rattle and Fuck Your Enemy that he has been doing on this tour. But it was still great to see him end it off with the Domination/Hollow/By Demons Be Driven combo! Phil is the MAN!!!

Set:
Battalion of Zero
Betrayed
Ursurper Bastard's Rant
Walk Through Exits Only
Bedroom Destroyer
Bedridden
Irrevelant Walls and Computer Screens
Domination/Hollow/By Demons Be Driven

We took a beer break afterwards and walked around the site, checked out the scenery and man I love the ladies of Montreal!!! August Burns Red played in the background. I am not a fan but I will say that they came off fairly heavy and they really got a great circle pit going at one point too. I wanted to go to the 3rd stage and check out Unexpect, but their set ended the same time as Machine Head's began and I wanted to be there for that. The next 3 bands really made the entire show for me too!

As just mentioned, Machine Head came out to the sounds of Imperium and blasted the crowd into a frenzy immediately! The pits were strong, big and tons o fun! Lots of sing alongs as well. Robb was completely blown away by the frantic crowd even commenting that they felt like they were in Europe with how crazy we were! Ive been a MH fan since Burn My Eyes was released, even through the nu-metal years but they have been on fire since the release of the TTAOE in 03. They are super tight and their new bassist Jared has some great pipes on him! I'll always catch them live!

Set:
Imperium
Ten Ton Hammer
Aesthetics of Hate
Locust
Beautiful Mourning
Halo

Next up was Children of Bodom and they continued the insanity! I was really worried that they were going to cancel as they had the few previous shows in the US due to an apparent wrist injury to Alexi. But they confirmed that they would be there and they certainly showed up!!! Alexi mentioned, as many other bands did, that this was the last stop on their summer tour and no date has topped what we were giving them! The band was furious as was the crowd! Top notch! Really gald they didnt cancel!

Set:
Transference
Needled 24/7
Living Dead Beat
Angels Dont kill
Halo of Blood
Bodom After Midnight
Silent Night, Bodom Night
Hate Me
In Your Face
Blooddrunk
Downfall
Hate Crew Deathroll

I really wanted to go to the 3rd stage again to check out Havok as Ive never seen them before but their set overlapped with the mighty Mastodon! I haven't passed up a Mastodon show in years! They have never disappointed live and IMO are one of the top acts in a live setting. This was actually the 4th time I have seen them in a year and a half! I knew this would be another Hunter-heavy set, but Im ok with that. Watching Troy, Brent and Bill up front and Brann just destroying the drum kit behind them is an absolute sight to see! Phil ran out at one point and hugged and kissed Brann mid-song to acknowledge his brilliance! It was pretty funny to see! He really stepped up his game this night!

Set:
Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
Dry Bone Valley
Megalodon
Octopus Has No Friends
Stargasm
Blasteroid
Crack the Skye
All the Heavy Lifting
Spectrelight
Bedazzled Fingernails
Blood and Thunder
The Sparrow

After a punishing 3 hrs of MH, CoB and Mastodon...we took a much needed break to grab some grub and more beer! Godsmack played as we did and I never have been a fan of theirs at all. TBH, I could barely name 2 songs from them until I heard them play them. They sounded ok but at one point Sully talked the ear off the crowd for almost 10 minutes. He did comment about how crazy we had been through the day and how he wanted everyone to do the same for one of their songs. Prob is, your Godsmack!! Its kinda hard to go batshit insane for Godsmack!!! Anyways...

Rob Zombie finished off what was already an incredible day! This was the 2nd time Ive seen him now as a solo artist and his shows never disappoint. Even if you just go for the theatrics, its worth the price of admission. The band was full of energy and the crowd somehow still had some left to give back to him! Its always great to see him bust out the old White Zombie tracks as well. He truly is a great entertainer! He asked us to sing Oh Canada which the crowd obliged. But then it happened, many of the crowd began the ol Ole Ole Ole anthem towards the end of the anthem! Montreal...this is not the national anthem FFS! It is not a Habs game, nor is it a soccer game! Its Heavy MTL FFS! Anyhew...John 5 is a great guitarist! His solo was phenominal!! In all reality his talents are a bit wasted in Zombies band IMO. But hey, to each their own. One kewl but odd inclusion, they covered Enter Sandman for some reason??? Crowd loved it and sang along loudly, but it was just odd to see and hear it. Also, its not on the setlist, but I was sure I heard Never Gonna Stop but I could be wrong so....???

Set:
Teenage Nosferatu Pussy
Superbeast
Living Dead Girl
Super-Charger Heaven
Demonoid Phenomenon
More Human Than Human
Sick Bubble Gum
Meet the Creeper
House of 1000 Corpses
Dead City Radio and the New Gods of Supertown
Enter Sandman
Thunderkiss 65
Dragula

All in all, another fantastic day of metal in Montreal! As long as this festival is around, I will be going to at least one of the days! Long live Heavy MTL!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

great review , I also manage to catch Huntress = music is not bad but the singer is terrible, she sounds like a witch, Finntrool , my first time listening to them and I quite liked them even with those funny elf ears hahaha !! but yeah, AA, MH & COB completely destroy the place

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM

oh yeah and as for Alexi's condition it was gall stones this time... they should be pretty painful... and as my 12 th time seeing Bodom I could tell he was not in top form, but the crowd was so intense that it got him going the best he could and just that was enough to tore the place down. They were my favourite band of the day anyway...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymetalhead View Post
He asked us to sing Oh Canada which the crowd obliged. But then it happened, many of the crowd began the ol Ole Ole Ole anthem towards the end of the anthem! Montreal...this is not the national anthem FFS! It is not a Habs game, nor is it a soccer game! Its Heavy MTL FFS!
... and it's Heavy MTL, not Heavy Canada. As you probably know, most people in Quebec don't give a shit about canadian patriotism.

Anyway, pretty cool review dude! I wish I could have been there, but I had to make a choice between this and Osheaga.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
I had to make a choice between this and Osheaga.
:facepalm:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Dittohead

Quote:
... and it's Heavy MTL, not Heavy Canada. As you probably know, most people in Quebec don't give a shit about canadian patriotism.

Anyway, pretty cool review dude! I wish I could have been there, but I had to make a choice between this and Osheaga.
I hear where yur coming from. Montreal is the metal capital of Canada and it always will be. But I just hate hearing that chant at every chance that Montrealers get, that's all. It carries over here in Ottawa too and its frickin annoying. I thought it kinda sucked that the national anthem that Zombie asked to hear was cut at the end for that. Id rather hear it completely in French than hear the Ole chant! Just my personal opinion.

Also forgot to mention that I got a shit ton of cool pics n vids too!! Running thru them now...so far so good!

Thanks! Osheaga wasn't my thing at all, but looks like you had a great time according to your reviews. We'll hook up hopefully one day before you take off for school!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
N00B

Quote:
most people in Canada don't give a shit about canadian patriotism.
Fixed.

Anyways, it sounded like an awesome time at Heavy MTL. I wish Heavy TO would have happened and have no idea why it didn't. Heavy TO's Facebook page gave us some nonsense like "Heavy TO isn't cancelled! It's just a series of separate concerts this summer instead of one festival!". The lineup this year was 1000x better than last year's...if last year's was worth anything at all that is.

Last edited by Phil709; 08-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil709 View Post
Fixed.
Pfft... child please!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM
N00B

Pallbearer were heavy as fuck and it was pretty cool to watch them from the front as I missed them at MDF and I probably wouldn't have had such a good spot in the crowd.

Cryptopsy and Mastodon were awesome too. All in all, the day was a lot of fun and I don't regret going!

Tags
amon amarth, children of bodom, machine head, mastodon, philip h. anselmo & the illegals, rob zombie