Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

The Goddamn Gallows -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 6th, 2013

Venue: The Atrium located inside the Catalyst.
Source: Me

Yesterday, I made the five and a half hour drive up to Santa Cruz to see The Goddamn Gallows with Jayke Orvis and The Calamity Cubes. The ride was nice. We arrived at the venue around 8 and had a few drinks before heading in. We saw all the guys in the Goddamn Gallows and talked for a few minutes to each one of them. They are all the coolest people. The Calamity Cubes started at 830 and played a good 25/30 minutes. I've been waiting years to see them live and I finally got my chance. They're an awesome bluegrass band. The world needs more bluegrass. During Empty Bottle, the singer walked around from the mic and he sang the chorus and I could still hear him over all the amps from about 10 feet from the stage. I thought that was really cool. I knew all the songs except the last song because they got off the stage and played in the crowd without any amps so it was difficult to hear them clearly.

Lillybelle
Pearls at Your Feet
Anchor's the Way
Daisy
Devil in Her Eyes
Kite
Empty Bottle
????

Jayke Orvis was up next. This was my third time seeing his solo band. James Hunnicutt plays guitar for the band, but wasn't on tour, so the band played as a three peice where Jayke switched off between mandolin and guitar. I was bummed they only got 30 minutes to play but I got to see them play a full 70 minute set the following night in Fullerton so that made up for it. Jayke is such a great mandolin player. I missed the first song so not sure what he played, but I'm sure it was an instrumental.

????
Crooked Smile
Bound to Ride (Ralph Stanley cover)
Kaw Liga (Hank Williams cover)
Dirty ol' Times (new song)
Feelings Like This
Dreadful Sinners
Raise the Moon
Lead me Astray

Up next was Sean and Zander. They were acoustic folk, I wasn't paying attention to them.

After them, The Goddamn Gallows went on. They were the main reason why I made the drive up to Santa Cruz. They played for about an hour. They play awesome metal and bluegrass infused psychobilly. I am going to see them three or four more times in the next week or so. Not obsessed They put on a great show as always! Every time I see them, they change up the set and the experience is awesome! Avery, the washboard player, is just comedy on stage. He drinks a bunch of Red Bulls and just acts like a nut and its awesome! The only thing that bothered me was that I was taking a picture of the band and he grabbed my phone and put it down his pants. I should have known better than to put shiny things in front of him . Jayke doesn't tour with the Gallows anymore, so I came up to the show hoping he would do a few songs with them and he came out for two songs! I was so happy for that. They were cut short at the end of the show. In League with Satan was written on their setlist, but they ended up cutting it for a new song, which was equally awesome. Baby Genius took over on lead vocals and they played an AWESOME black metal style psychobilly song!! I was in love with it! It made me even more excited for the new cd coming out. I can't wait to see them again on Saturday with xdoomsayerx and oraclesofagony!

47 Crosses
Ghosts of the Rails
Heaven
Y'all Motherfuckers Need Jesus
Gutterbilly Blues
7 Devils
Save Me
What Was the High
Load Your Guns
The Marker
Ragz n Bones w/ Jayke
Pass me the Bottle w/ Jayke
Born to Lie
Howlin' Wind

Overall it was an amazing show and I'm happy I made the drive up!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Also, some tweaker ruined my white PLF shirt. There were about 50 or 60 people at the show. I was right up against the stage and there was a little bit of an open area behind me until the next set of people. Some guy kept going up to the stage and launching himself off into a back flip as if he was trying to stage dive, but there was no one there to catch him, so he kept landing on the back of his head. He did this about 5 or 6 times and did it around me a few times. After the show, someone pointed out to me there was blood on the back of my shoulder. Its now stained there for good.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Up next was Sean and Zander. They were acoustic folk, I wasn't paying attention to them.
Those guys are great live!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Wasn't Wizzbang's band Pisshorse playing the main part of the venue?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Wasn't Wizzbang's band Pisshorse playing the main part of the venue?
I have no idea. It didn't seem like there was a show going on at the main stage.

Tags
jayke orvis, the calamity cubes, the goddamn gallows