Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014
Dave Mustaine with San Diego Symphony -- San Diego, CA -- April 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM
N00B

Cormorant - Dwellings

Progressive Black Metal

Dwellings, the sophomore effort by the bay area outfit Cormorant is an album meant to be listened through thoroughly in order to be fully appreciated but once it clicks.... it explodes. They have conjured a very unique sound in spite of wearing their influences upon their sleeves. "The First Man" kicks off Dwellings phenomenally before leading into countless other equally fantastic and powerful tracks.

This album is best listened to with your eyes closed and meditative so you can fully appreciate it. Take 55 minutes out of your day and do something nice for yourself.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
N00B

Nocturnal - The Black Dahlia Murder

My gateway drug of metal music. While indubitably not the best album of the 21st century. This album will always hold a special place within the confines of my metal infected heart.

Favorite Track: Deathmask Divine
Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM
N00B

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Technical Melodic Death Metal

Death metal is a genre that has become over saturated as of late. Bands of the genre that boast about being technical, while indisputably talented at their respected instruments, are basically just masturbating those instruments in order to force every note to cum outwards, leaving the listener unimpressed, unfazed, and ultimately un-infatuated with the genre of Death metal due to the lack of creative song writing and structure. However, Arsis debut LP "A Celebration of Guilt" is a glorious exception to this trend of late. Arsis shows the ignorant plebs in Brain Drill how Technical Death Metal is truly done. The riffs are extremely technical while maintaining structure and substance as all decent music should have. The riffs are relentless, bludgeoning while still requiring a fair amount of solid musicianship AND maintaining substance? WHAT MORE DO YOU ASK FOR? The rest of the band, drums, rhythm, bass are able to meet the technicality and make one hell of an album.

Arsis bleeds technicality, substance, melody, songwriting, and catchiness (Yes, it is still catchy as hell while remaining technical) into one metal masterpiece that should not be ignored.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM
N00B

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Progressive Death Metal

If you have not listened to this album, reevaluate your life.

HOW TO REEVALUATE YOUR LIFE! CLICK BELOW!
Life Reevaluation
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datjazzfusion View Post

My gateway drug of metal music. While indubitably not the best album of the 21st century. This album will always hold a special place within the confines of my metal infected heart.

I actually checked this out since I'm currently trying to get into some melodic death metal, and I actually kinda like this record.The riffs are incredibly hooky, and I like the lead singer's style of singing where it is isn't just an overdose of growls, just a lot more shrieks.That album cover is also pretty sick.
8/14 - Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
I actually checked this out since I'm currently trying to get into some melodic death metal, and I actually kinda like this record.The riffs are incredibly hooky, and I like the lead singer's style of singing where it is isn't just an overdose of growls, just a lot more shrieks.That album cover is also pretty sick.
Holy shit your left or right nut drop?

JK brah TBDM is pure awesomeness!
Basement-8/12
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:

Good album, the title track has some wicked guitar riffs. And it's one of my favorite t-shirts.
07/04 -- Agalloch
12/06 -- Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-09-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM
N00B

Quote:

I recently just got into Black Dahlia Murder over the last few months and have listened to all their studio albums now, and this is probably my favourite of their's. The chorus on "Everything Went Black" is just so hooky and awesome.
06/10 - DevilDriver

Last edited by AnthG; 08-09-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:57 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Technical Melodic Death Metal

Death metal is a genre that has become over saturated as of late. Bands of the genre that boast about being technical, while indisputably talented at their respected instruments, are basically just masturbating those instruments in order to force every note to cum outwards, leaving the listener unimpressed, unfazed, and ultimately un-infatuated with the genre of Death metal due to the lack of creative song writing and structure. However, Arsis debut LP "A Celebration of Guilt" is a glorious exception to this trend of late. Arsis shows the ignorant plebs in Brain Drill how Technical Death Metal is truly done. The riffs are extremely technical while maintaining structure and substance as all decent music should have. The riffs are relentless, bludgeoning while still requiring a fair amount of solid musicianship AND maintaining substance? WHAT MORE DO YOU ASK FOR? The rest of the band, drums, rhythm, bass are able to meet the technicality and make one hell of an album.

Arsis bleeds technicality, substance, melody, songwriting, and catchiness (Yes, it is still catchy as hell while remaining technical) into one metal masterpiece that should not be ignored.
You pretty much summed up how I feel about most death metal today.
07/04 -- Agalloch
12/06 -- Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
N00B

Nokturnal Mortum - Voice of Steel
Epic Blackened Folk Metal

Nokturnal Mortum's "Voice of Steel" is a stellar example of raw, albeit well produced black metal that has been infected with a numerous Ukrainian and other European folk elements and implications showcased throughout the entirety of the album. The guitar and vocal tone, song structure, and for the lack of a better term, the overall vibe bleeds black metal mentality, alas the overall structure is elevated to gargantuan altitudes of grandeur through the incorporation of European folk-esque melodies, instrumentation, and atmosphere. The duo song combo of Intro/Voice of Steel seamlessly sets up the listener for standard folk elements until being bludgeoned by the raw chugging riff of "Voice of Steel" (song.) Nokturnal Mortum emulates further musical proficiency and grandiose, epic (as a definition; not as the modern bullshit lingo that a 12 year old might say when he tastes his first sip of vodka) through the numerous, differentiating genre infested song dubbed with elements of Black/Folk/Progressive Rock/Ambient/etc.

Nokturnal Mortum truly shines with this album due to the sheer amount of song variations, while in spite being possibly pigeonholed into the genre of Black/Folk Metal (the most obvious genres). Each song has a different mentality into it with multiple levels of groove/rawness/"folkiness"/"dancableness"/The ability for some of the riffs,solos,choruses,folk elements to get stuck in your head, etc. Its hard to suggest a song to check out so I would give the first 3 songs a shot, Voice of Steel - Valkyrie - Ukraine a shot and decide if you want to worship to one of the greatest folk influenced metal albums ever made.

Voice of Steel
Valkyrie
Ukraine