Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Montreal, Quebec -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 07-17-2013, 01:07 AM
with his arms outstretched

I came across Utopia Banished and Words from the Exit Wound when I was browsing the CD store the other day so I had to buy them. Click on the titles for my updated reviews of both. Needless to say I really enjoyed and was surprised by Utopia Banished and was utterly disappointed and not the first bit surprised by Words from the Exit Wound.

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post

Words from the Exit Wound
Released on October 26th, 1998
Label: Earache

Line-up:
Unchanged

1. The Infiltraitor
2. Repression out of Uniform
3. Next of Kin to Chaos
4. Trio-Degradeable/Affixed by Disconcern
5. Cleanse Impure
6. Devouring Depraved
7. Ulterior Exterior
8. None the Wiser?
9. Clutching at Barbs
10. Incendiary Incoming
11. Throw Down a Rope
12. Sceptic in Perspective
13. Hung (live bonus on US release, from Bootlegged in Japan)
14. Greed Killing (live bonus on US release, from Bootlegged in Japan)
15. Suffer the Children (live bonus on US release, from Bootlegged in Japan)

This is just not a good album. A lot of Napalm Deaths material in the 1990ís was hit or miss. There are some really good songs from that era but there are a lot too that just fly by and you donít even remember them when theyíre done. This album is an album almost completely made up of those songs that just fly by. The band just sounds totally uninspired. Like they just went into the studio and said, ďokay guys, letís just bang out fifteen songs and be done with itĒ. There are a few songs with riffs that just sound so terrible to me (Cleanse Impure, Incendiary Incoming). I donít know what it is but as soon as I hear the riffs from those songs I just feel sick to my stomach. One thing they did do on this album that Iíll give them credit for was doing a lot more with the vocals. Thereís the usual Barney growl and Mitch shrieks. But thereís some really good shrieking during the last minute of Cleanse Impure that makes that horrible riff at the beginning forgivable. It actually makes it the best song off the album. And then thereís actual SINGING during None the Wiser. Like CLEAN VOCALS. In the three hundred plus songs Iíve heard by Napalm Death thatís a first and only. One of the better songs is the live version of Greed Killing on the US versions. I listen to that and Iím like ďwow, they made a really good song into a totally different, brutal beastĒ. But itís too little to save this boring album. And I canít list that as the best song on the album since itís really just tacked on. Itís weird first listening to this album now because I know that they released a ton of great material after this. But I can only imagine being a fan in 1998 and hearing it and just shaking my head. I canít see why anyone who liked Napalm Death and bought this album when it was brand new would listen to this and want to continue listening to them after it was over. By far this is Napalm Deaths worst album. Iíd only recommend it if youíre a completionist like myself who wants to support the band and be able to say you own everything by them. Even the cover artwork is godawful.
Best Song: Cleanse Impure
I've never actually listened to this album but I always loved Infiltrator and Next Kin.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 AM

I was pretty disappointed by Words from the Exit Wound but I was really impressed by the three songs tacked on it from Bootlegged in Japan. It was at the store when I was there last week and I was on the fence. But I went back today and bought it. Am I ever glad I did. I've updated my post for that album.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-19-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
One who onions things

So since this thread came to an end I've picked up Smear Campaign, The Code is Red and Enemy of the Music Business (I already had Utilitarian). These albums are all absolutely incredible, and I think Code is my favorite so far with Enemy coming in a close second. Where has recent Napalm Death been all my life?!
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
So since this thread came to an end I've picked up Smear Campaign, The Code is Red and Enemy of the Music Business (I already had Utilitarian). These albums are all absolutely incredible, and I think Code is my favorite so far with Enemy coming in a close second. Where has recent Napalm Death been all my life?!
Then my job is done. I'm glad you liked them. You really should check out Leaders Not Followers.

I've been thinking about doing another thread like this based on my love for a few other bands/artists but I don't know if anyone is really interested. I've been having a hard time deciding on a band to do too because some of them:
- had very little material, and even less that would be something on here that no one has heard (Type O Negative/Peter Steele, Faith No More, Kyuss)
- have large gaps in their careers that I wasn't interested in listening to or am just not fond of, therefor the history wouldn't be as complete as I'd like (Mike Patton, Enslaved, Glenn Danzig)
- are just artists that I don't think anyone here really has much interest in (the Melvins, Sigur Ros)
- are bands that I'm newer to so I don't know if I'm the person to do a history on them. Or my thoughts on the band just aren't developed enough (Sonic Youth, Immolation)

I want to do a band that has a really large amount of material to draw from. I think it makes for a more interesting read. I'm really thinking about doing one on the Melvins but I just don't think enough people would care.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-02-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Ive been wanting to get into the Melvins for years... DO IT

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 08-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Ive been wanting to get into the Melvins for years... DO IT
That's all I need, it shall be done. It won't be as comprehensive as this was (the Melvins release a lot of splits and seven inch singles) but expect it to start soon. And there won't be as much love in that thread either.

And for you, John, you'll like the Melvins. Dale Crover isn't a virtuoso like Neal Peart or Vinny P. behind the kit, but he's a fucking beast.

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:19 PM
PANNTURRRUHHHHHH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
That's all I need, it shall be done. It won't be as comprehensive as this was (the Melvins release a lot of splits and seven inch singles) but expect it to start soon. And there won't be as much love in that thread either.

And for you, John, you'll like the Melvins. Dale Crover isn't a virtuoso like Neal Peart or Vinny P. behind the kit, but he's a fucking beast.
The only Melvins ive ever heard were in the fantomas/melvins dvds...and those are amazing

Funeral Age
funeralage.com

Mesmur
facebook.com/mesmurdoom
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
The only Melvins ive ever heard were in the fantomas/melvins dvds...and those are amazing
...oh...well...let me just say if you like those you should love the rest of their stuff...or really hate some of my reviews...

Maybe next weekend I'll start.

07/06 -- U2
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Extreme Noise Terror - Damage 381
Released on July 27th, 1997
Label: Earache

Line-up:
Dean Jones - Vocals
Phil Vane - Vocals
Mark ďBarneyĒ Greenway - Vocals
Ali Firouzbahkt - Guitar
Lee Barrett - Bass
William A. ďWasĒ Sarginson - Drums

1. Utopia Burns
2. Punishment Solitude
3. Icon of Guilt
4. Jesus on my Side
5. Cold World
6. Damage 381
7. Shallow Existence
8. Chaos Perverse
9. Crawl
10. Downside

This isnít a Napalm Death release but an important piece of their history nonetheless. This is the album that Barney recorded with Extreme Noise Terror in the year that he left Napalm Death. Itís sort of funny that he was out of Napalm Death for less than a year, yet still managed to join another band and record an album with them. Iíd imagine that it was mostly written when he joined and he probably left shortly after it was released. I also find it funny that Extreme Noise Terror had been around for fifteen years at this point, yet on the picture on the back cover Barney is front and center with the other members in the background. I guess Earache was trying to cash in on his name to move more units. The story has it that Barney left Napalm Death because he was unhappy with the way the band had moved away from grindcore in the mid-nineties. This album is defiantly grittier sounding than Napalm Deaths work at the time. I wouldnít call it grindcore, just more hardcore than Napalm Death was. The production is pretty raw and the duel/triple vocal attack is something cool. The liner notes say there are three vocalists on the album but I donít know who is who, except Barney. He does sound a lot angrier on this album than he does on any 1990ís Napalm Death albums. The only problem I have with this album is some of the songs are too long. With this style of music anything over two minutes is stretching it. Itís cool, check it out.
Favorite Song: Punishment Solitude

07/06 -- U2