Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Sleep -- Chicago, IL -- August 29th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Clarkston, MI -- August 24th, 2014
Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014

Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM
D.B.B.

Those prices aren't a stretch at all. People will buy them. Wrestling is probably even more popular now than in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_Chalupa666 View Post
Do they still make special floor chairs for each PPV that you can take home? I remember when they would do that.
Yeah for some. I know they had them at Summerslam last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I consider myself a n00b, and thus have not read the chapter of why Jeff Hardy winning the title was a bad thing.
He wasn't really that good. Take out all the spots and crazy shit he did and he was a very bland wrestler. Matt deserved it more, but I guess his injury probably had a lot to do with him never winning.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Jeff only had a scant few really good matches in the WWE, and most of them were just due to him jumping off shit. It was really cool in 1999 but after a few years it wore thin.

And hadn't the WWE really toned down their style when he came back (due to the injuries and Benoit)? Toning down on highspots really stunted his in ring abilities.

That said; that match verses the Undertaker for the title in May 2002 was really good. Anyone who hasn't seen it should. And the match verses Rob Van Dam at Invasion in July 2001 was really good too but I think it was more of an RVD show (it was his first match in the WWF). The TLC's were good but again, mostly spotfests.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Watching Sabu's Youshoot. Apparently The Sheik (not the Iron one, Ed Farhat) was babysitting Vincent Kennedy when he was 9 and tried to drown him in a pool.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:39 PM

So, Tito Ortiz...I hear he got quite the "Rob Conway" reaction.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Wrestling is probably even more popular now than in the 90s.
Maybe world wide but not in the US. RAW pulls in half the audience now than it did back during the Attitude Era. RAW usually gets around a 3.0 rating which translates to around 4 million viewers. During the attitude era they were pulling in about a 6.0 rating or better every week. Now, there are more ways to watch TV shows today but the huge drop off in the rating's still can't be denied. If they were putting on compelling TV every week then people would be tuning in when it's airs and not watching it through other methods later on.

Plus, factoring in how popular both WCW and ECW were in the 90s there's no way wrestling is bigger now.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-03-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
So, Tito Ortiz...I hear he got quite the "Rob Conway" reaction.
Man, after getting rid of Vince Russo and having a great 2012 I thought TNA was finally on the right track and got their heads out of their asses. This shit with bringing in Ortiz makes no sense. Him and Rampage Jackson are gonna have a fight in Belator soon and they're using TNA to promote it. This does nothing for TNA as an organization, nor does it help to expand their brand or help the TV product. The reason Ortiz got a nothing reaction is because there was no hype for this beyond some videos that were airing on TNA's web last week leading up to the show. Nobody knew who it was and most people were expecting a new wrestler to debut. That's even if they knew about these videos to begin with since they were never shown on TV before. But Tito Ortiz? Who the fuck cares? This isn't ten years ago when he was one of the most popular guys and a force to be reckoned with in the UFC.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-03-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjturtle9 View Post
Wrestling is probably even more popular now than in the 90s.
I gotta agree with Sanitarium on his comments about this. If you're talking about the mid-1990's then yes, wrestling is bigger now. But wrestling was beyond huge in the late-1990's. It was actually "cool". Ratings were huge, I think ECW got 2.0's, and WCW at its worst averaged better than Raw does today.

Strange thing about the late-1990s. Everyone looks back on it so fondly but the actual in-ring product was terrible IMO. There were PPV main events that were really good but the undercards were full of a lot of crap. The storylines and characters were better but a lot of the wrestling was secondary and rushed. There was a lot going on but the average match on Raw was less than five minutes. Not too far off from today, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Man, after getting rid of Vince Russo and having a great 2012 I thought TNA was finally on the right track and got their heads out of their asses. This shit with bringing in Ortiz makes no sense. Him and Rampage Jackson are gonna have a fight in Belator soon and they're using TNA to promote it. This does nothing for TNA as an organization, nor does it help to expand their brand or help the TV product. The reason Ortiz got a nothing reaction is because there was no hype for this beyond some videos that were airing on TNA's web last week leading up to the show. Nobody knew who it was and most people were expecting a new wrestler to debut. That's even if they knew about these videos to begin with since they were never shown on TV before. But Tito Ortiz? Who the fuck cares? This isn't ten years ago when he was one of the most popular guys and a force to be reckoned with in the UFC.
It's sad that not only do they use so many of the WWE's cast-offs but now UFC's as well.

The big rumors were it was Bob Holly or Low Ki. Either would've been better but gotten pretty bad reactions too. Bob Holly would've just gotten some eye rolls, and a lot of people would have had no idea who Low Ki is. But people seem downright mad about Tito Ortiz.

It's incredible how much TNA has fallen apart in the last three weeks. I don't feel bad for the managers and fools backstage but I feel bad for guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin and Abyss who will never make it to the WWE.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 08-03-2013, 05:51 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
It's sad that not only do they use so many of the WWE's cast-offs but now UFC's as well.

The big rumors were it was Bob Holly or Low Ki. Either would've been better but gotten pretty bad reactions too. Bob Holly would've just gotten some eye rolls, and a lot of people would have had no idea who Low Ki is. But people seem downright mad about Tito Ortiz.

It's incredible how much TNA has fallen apart in the last three weeks. I don't feel bad for the managers and fools backstage but I feel bad for guys like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, Chris Sabin and Abyss who will never make it to the WWE.
I think Low Ki may have gotten an OK reaction. He has wrestled for TNA before and he's a well known name on the independent scene and a lot of TNA fans follow that. Since they are yet again trying to re-build the X Division he would've been a nice addition to that and more importantly would've brought something to TNA unlike Ortiz.

It does suck that so many talented guys on the TNA roster will never get a chance at the big time. With the way Bryan and Punk have turned out it's very possible guys like AJ Styles, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels could be very successful in the WWE. Bobby Roode and James Storm could make a good name for themselves to if Vince singed them and used them right. The problem with all these guys is their age. Daniels is 40 and the other guys are in their mid 30s now. I'm not sure if the WWE would wanna take a chance on any of them because of that if they had the opportunity. They would all no doubt spend some time down in WWE developmental before they came up with a character and storyline to bring them up to the main roster. By then these guys would be getting a bit older.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 08-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
I think Low Ki may have gotten an OK reaction. He has wrestled for TNA before and he's a well known name on the independent scene and a lot of TNA fans follow that. Since they are yet again trying to re-build the X Division he would've been a nice addition to that and more importantly would've brought something to TNA unlike Ortiz.

It does suck that so many talented guys on the TNA roster will never get a chance at the big time. With the way Bryan and Punk have turned out it's very possible guys like AJ Styles, Austin Aries, Samoa Joe and Christopher Daniels could be very successful in the WWE. Bobby Roode and James Storm could make a good name for themselves to if Vince singed them and used them right. The problem with all these guys is their age. Daniels is 40 and the other guys are in their mid 30s now. I'm not sure if the WWE would wanna take a chance on any of them because of that if they had the opportunity. They would all no doubt spend some time down in WWE developmental before they came up with a character and storyline to bring them up to the main roster. By then these guys would be getting a bit older.
It's a little known fact but AJ Styles was actually on the WWE roster for a cup of coffee in 2001. When the WWF bought WCW he was on their roster and his contract was bought with it. He was gone within six months and never made it past developmental, but he was there.

The rest of them, probably not. Daniels definitely not, he's too old. It really depends if one or two get pushed to get signed by CM Punk.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
It's a little known fact but AJ Styles was actually on the WWE roster for a cup of coffee in 2001. When the WWF bought WCW he was on their roster and his contract was bought with it. He was gone within six months and never made it past developmental, but he was there.

The rest of them, probably not. Daniels definitely not, he's too old. It really depends if one or two get pushed to get signed by CM Punk.
I knew that about AJ Styles. The story I heard was that the WWE did offer him a developmental deal back then but it would have required him to move and be away from his future wife at the time who was going to school for something. He decided to turn it down because he didn't want to do that. Maybe he thought he would get another chance with them after his woman graduated from college. Then TNA picked him up a year later and he has become to TNA what Sting was to WCW. The only way AJ Styles leaves TNA is if the company goes under.

I'm not sure who Punk would try to convince WWE to sign away from TNA? Because of their history in ROH maybe Austin Aries or Samoa Joe? Still, the WWE would have to act quick and get those guys on TV as soon as they could while both are still in their primes.