Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
brotuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
If it's your first time seeing one of your favorite bands you're going to love it no matter what. It's magic that will never be duplicated.
My first time seeing Tool was one if the worst experiences of my life
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
My first time seeing Tool was one if the worst experiences of my life
Care to elaborate? Unless it was the fans ruining it, I can't see how a Tool show could be bad.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Care to elaborate? Unless it was the fans ruining it, I can't see how a Tool show could be bad.
Ill second that. Mastodon should look to them as an example of how to put on a show, being a more technical, stand on stage and play type of band.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:39 AM
brotuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
In the middle of performing Sober (the song they switched out Ticks and Leeches for), they had a DJ come out and remix it. Live. For about 15 minutes.
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus
Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
N00B

I actually had a solid time at Mayhem in Tampa this year. This is my 5th time going (only one I missed was 2010). Brief review:

Motionless in White: Definitely a solid band and the crowd was into them. No real complaints. 7.25/10

Butcher Babies: The chicks are smokin' and the music was heavier than expected. Some of the screams were pretty bad, but solid otherwise. 6.75/10

Born of Osiris: Not too bad, although some of their songs rubbed me the wrong way. I don't mind electronic parts in hardcore songs, but I didn't care for theirs. 6/10

Job for a Cowboy: Only saw their first and last songs, but I've seen them a couple other times and they are always fun

Emmure: Fuck the haters, but I thought these guys were pretty awesome. Definitely one of the most intense pits of the day, I had a lot of fun at this show, and I'm not even familiar with their songs. 8/10

Scorpion Child: Unexpected surprise, these guys didn't belong on Mayhem, but they had a tight classic rock vibe, even if their stage was shitty. I'd check em out. 7.5/10

Machine Head: Like the OP said, MH is awesome, but I'm getting tired of their short ass sets. They've played Tampa 4 times since 2008, and they've all been sets 45 minutes or less at this same venue. Hey MH, bring your next headlining tour here, that's what we want to see! But still, they did kick ass for sure. 8/10

Children of Bodom: I can't give them a fair score because it was so fucking hot at this point that it was hard to focus on the band. I spent half of their set sippin on free Rockstars and eating free beef jerky. They were pretty good though.

Amon Amarth: Second best band of the day, these guys kicked ass! I didn't know any of their stuff (other than TotTG), but I came away a fan. Their stage setup was one of the best metal setups I've ever seen too. At first I was skeptical of them opening the main stage, but they totally deserved it. 8.25/10

Mastodon: I love Mastodon, but they really aren't that great of a live band. This was my third time seeing them and this was the second best (and this was really average). Their setlist wasn't very good, and they just come across as dull, especially after AA. Even their headline show I saw in 2011 was 'pretty good' at best. It's not like their songs are bad, but they need to fix something. 6/10

Five Finger Death Punch: Unlike most people, I love FFDP, and their set was my favorite of the day by a pretty large margin. The setlist was pretty much perfect for me, and the band looks like they're having a ton of fun onstage. They also threw out a ridiculous amount of guitar picks too. I'd love to see them become an arena-level band in their own right, and I hope they come back on their headlining tour. 8.75/10

Rob Zombie: Don't get me wrong, his stage show is awesome, but his music just doesn't do anything for me. I also just saw him in October, and his show is pretty much the same now as it was then. I left early after Meet the Creeper so I could beat traffic, and I was very glad I did. That said, if you love his music, he won't disappoint live. 7/10

Mayhem was a good time this year, but this was definitely a big step down from last year, and probably my least favorite time overall. Also, I can see Florida getting skipped on next year's Mayhem, considering that this one sold so poorly that they upgraded everyone who had lawn tickets into seats. I believe the seats hold only 7,000 people (and the lawn 13,000) so those numbers aren't too hot. Black Sabbath, on the other hand, had nearly 14,000 people two nights before (that show was PACKED), so it's not like metal is dead here. They just need a better lineup next time.
3/2 - Dropkick Murphys
3/11 - Meshuggah
3/12 - Tenacious D
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM
...the dead are among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock91 View Post
In the middle of performing Sober (the song they switched out Ticks and Leeches for), they had a DJ come out and remix it. Live. For about 15 minutes.
Was it Lustmord?

If so, fuck you for complaining.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 AM
somebody somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRedBeardVII View Post
Ill second that. Mastodon should look to them as an example of how to put on a show, being a more technical, stand on stage and play type of band.
That's ridiculous. Maybe Brent should just stand at the back of the stage all night like that douchebag Maynard.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker View Post
That's ridiculous. Maybe Brent should just stand at the back of the stage all night like that douchebag Maynard.
Maynard stands up front now and has for years, but my point was they just stand there, just like mastodon, but the show with the screens and lights and what not make it fun to watch and enhance the music. Mastodon should do something similar, it would be cool to see their music with some kind of light shot behind it.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenzombie013 View Post
Also, I can see Florida getting skipped on next year's Mayhem, considering that this one sold so poorly that they upgraded everyone who had lawn tickets into seats. I believe the seats hold only 7,000 people (and the lawn 13,000) so those numbers aren't too hot. Black Sabbath, on the other hand, had nearly 14,000 people two nights before (that show was PACKED), so it's not like metal is dead here. They just need a better lineup next time.
I doubt we get skipped. 3/6 years they have upgraded lawn to seats for free.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:20 PM
brotuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
Was it Lustmord?

If so, fuck you for complaining.
No idea who it was. Regardless, I didn't pay for an $80 ticket to watch some dick remix their song. I paid to see them. With the time they wasted on that, they could've played both Sober and Ticks and Leeches.
6/21 Meshuggah
6/24 Primus

Tags
machine head, mastodon