Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014
Motley Crue -- Alpharetta, GA -- August 16th, 2014
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 AM
N00B

Summer Slaughter Tour -- Orlando, FL -- July 29th, 2013

I should mention that both Cattle Decapitation and Thy Art Is Murder were both banned by the venue.
-
I went inside the House Of Blues right as Rings Of Saturn were starting, and I'm in no way a fan of this band, but I was pleasantly surprised, I was honestly expecting them to flat out suck, but they were quite the opposite. And I should point out to the morons who actually think these guys record at half speed, it's not true, they can play it exactly the same live. All in all a good way to start off the show for me.

Next were the mighty Aeon. As far as I know this is their first US tour ever (??) and I was kind of excited to see their set, and holy crap these guys are insanely heavy, incredibly tight as a band, and are in my opinion going to be "the next big thing" in death metal, so if you're into extreme metal I definitely recommend checking them out.

Next were my second favorite band of the day, Revocation. I saw these guys a little over a year ago at the Scion Rock Fest without knowing anything about them and ended up become a big fan of theirs, so it was nice seeing them and actually knowing the material. Revocation are a mix between melodeath and thrash metal, which makes for an intense sound. Revocation were very energetic, especially their vocalist/guitarist David Davidson, showcasing both his great vocals and his impressive guitar skills. Revocation were the first band of the show that actually had people moving, and they are coming back next year on an awesome tour package, so be on the look out!

And now it was time for the band I was mainly there for, The Ocean Collective. I've been a huge fan of this band ever since the album "Heliocentric" came out in 2010, and this is only the second show they've ever played in Florida, so once I saw they were on the lineup I know I had to make it out. Performance wise I was expecting a sort of Mastodon mixed with The Contortionist type feel, but I was pleasantly surprised when they came out and turned out to be the most chaotic band so far, playing their heaviest songs. I loved absolutely every second of their set, and my only complaint is it was only four songs, but they told us they'd be back in the US for a headlining tour next spring, and they will be playing the new album "Pelagial" in it's entirety, so be on the lookout for the tour dates.

Up next were Norma Jean. This was my second time seeing this band, but the first time with their current vocalist. Norma Jean are seen as the "black sheep" of this tour, many extreme metal fans were complaining about them being on the tour, but from what I could tell everyone there really enjoyed them, as did I somewhat. In truthfulness this isn't much I can really say about their performance, it was really good, but it's just not for me.

Next were Periphery, and it was my second time seeing them. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people think this band are so special, they're good at what they do, and there was a point where I was huge into the first album, but it started to bore me after a bit, and seeing them tonight reminded me why I liked them in the first place, the musicianship and technicality of this band is more than just impressive. The vocals of Spencer Votelo have improved tenfold since I last saw them a year and a half ago. All in all I enjoyed their set for what it was, but I'm not really much of a fan of the style, but I wouldn't mind seeing them live again some day.

Up next were Animals As Leaders, this was my fourth time seeing their set and it was by far the best time. The last two times I saw them I felt bored, but this time was different, they actually moved around a little, which they almost never have before. It's no question that Animals As Leaders are technicality masters, I enjoy their music very much, but I really wish they'd change up their setlist, or do something different, because seeing the same thing over and over will get really boring really quick, but they were definitely on top of their game tonight.

After AAL finished, to my dismay around half the crowd left, and I just thought to myself "You guys are idiots, do you even know what's coming next?", but apparently not.

After a short wait the curtains opened and it was finally time for the mathcore masters Dillinger Escape Plan. And as soon as they kicked into "Prancer" what was left of the crowd went insane, everything I've ever heard about DEP's live show is an understatement of how they actually are live, I'm shocked these guys don't break their necks during the show. DEP blasted through their hour long set, which felt like mere minutes, and after it was all over the crowd chanted "one more song", after a minute their vocalist came out and basically said they generally don't do encores, but since the 120 of us or so stuck around on a Monday night they were going to play one more song that they haven't played at any other show on the tour, which was "The Running Board". All in all it was a great show, Dillinger are a definite need to see live band.
--

Dillinger Escape Plan

1)Prancer
2)Farewell, Mona Lisa
3)Milk Lizard
4)43% Burnt
5)Panasonic Youth
6)Room Full of Eyes
7)Hero of the Soviet Union
8)Nothing's Funny
9)One of Us Is the Killer
10)Crossburner
11)When I Lost My Bet
12)Sunshine the Werewolf
13)The Running Board

Animals As Leaders

1)Tempting Time
2)Wave Of Babies
3)Earth Departure
4)Cylindrical Sea
5)Do Not Go Gently
6)Weightless
7)CAFO

Periphery

1)Icarus Lives!
2)Facepalm Mute
3)Make Total Destroy
4)Scarlet
5)Zyglrox
6)Luck As A Constant
7)Have A Blast
8)Ragnarok

Norma Jean

1)The Anthem Of The Angry Brides
2)Vipers, Snakes, And Actors
3)Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste
4)If You Got It At Five, You Got It At Fifty
5)A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forrest

The Ocean Collective

1)Bathyalpelagic I: Impasses
2)Bathyalpelagic II: The Wish in Dreams
3)Abyssopelagic I: Boundless Vasts
4)Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe

Revocation

1)The Hive
2)Teratogenesis
3)Invidious
4)Dismantle The Dictator
5)No Funeral

Aeon

1)Still They Pray
2)Living Sin
3)Aeons Black
4)Forever Nailed
5)Kill Them All
6)Forgiveness Denied

Rings Of Saturn

1)Abducted
2)Immaculate Order
3)Pealing Arteries
4)Seized And Devoured
Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 AM
Your friends from Langley are back again...

That is awesome. It's been years since I've seen them do Running Board. I love to see DEP every time they come through because of their insane live performance. One of my favorite bands. I'm going to miss them this Sunday in favor of taking my dad to a Phillies game for his birthday though... boo!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM
N00B

You think they would have banned Aeon before someone like Cattle Decapitation simply because Aeon is so anti-god
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
You think they would have banned Aeon before someone like Cattle Decapitation simply because Aeon is so anti-god
Cattle Decapitation is pretty much the definition of fucking brutal though.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Why do metal shows keep booking at House of Blues if bands keep getting banned?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 AM
N00B

Why are those bands banned?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourque View Post
Why are those bands banned?
Disney owns the House of Blues in Orlando and they ban certain bands from playing at the venue (mostly bands with murder or some type of word related to violence in the name, although I have no clue why Machine Head is banned from there.)

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Old 07-30-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm reaching out for something else.

Cool review and to the idiots who stuck around for Periphery and AAL man those bands are borefests live compared to TDEP. Too funny that Aeon got to play at HOB though.
Tough Mudder-10/26
Real Friends/Neck Deep?-11/7
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastodon421 View Post
Disney owns the House of Blues in Orlando and they ban certain bands from playing at the venue (mostly bands with murder or some type of word related to violence in the name, although I have no clue why Machine Head is banned from there.)
The lyrics to Aesthetics Of Hate
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nater View Post
Yeah when he was screaming "Where is your god!?" the bouncers were like ......wut.....

Tags
aeon, animals as leaders, norma jean, periphery, revocation, rings of saturn, the dillinger escape plan, the ocean collective