Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM
N00B

Mayhem Fest -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 27th, 2013

Okay, so the day started out uncertain whether or not I would be able to
make it to mayhem. Our hotel situation was very uncertain and so was the person who I was buying a pit ticket from. But everything worked out with the hotel and the ticket holder. I left at about 11 and arrived at the venue at about 1:00. I met the guy who was selling the ticket, I purchased it and went into the venue at about 1:10. Thrown Into Exile had already started playing. I quickly went to the jäger stage so I could get a good spot for battlecross.

After about 20 minutes huntress came on. I heard some of their stuff before mayhem and it wasn't bad. They put on a pretty good show, a lot better then what I thought they would do. And their vocalist can scream! At the end of the set I almost caught a guitar pick but it bounced off my hand which sucked. But Jill Janus threw out and unopened beer can, and I caught it. Now I'm 15 so security gave me a choice. I could either give it away or have in confiscated. So I just gave it to some dude behind me haha.

Huntess:
1.Spell Eater
2.Destroy Your Life
3.Zenith
4.I Want To Fuck You To Death
5.Eight of Swords

I watched Attika 7 from the front of the jäger stage. They were okay. Next up was battlecross. They probably had the best performance of the day. They were definitely high on energy and just put on a killer performance. The pits were also insane. They also had a wall of death during flesh and bone, which ended up being the biggest pit of the day (after the wall of death). They ended with push pull destroy which was awesome. I also got a pick from them which was sick.

Battlecross:
1.Never Coming Back
2.Man of Stone
3.Kaleb
4.Force Fed Lies
5.Flesh and Bone
6.Pursuit of Honor
7.Push Pull Destroy

After battlecross's performance I left for the battlecross tent. I bought a t shirt and their new cd. I had already purchased it on iTunes but I wanted a physical copy. I then went and waited for 45 minutes for the Amon Amarth signing. I'm pretty sure a bunch of people were cutting the line which pissed me off. After the signing I went to the zombie tent to do the John 5 signing until I realized I had to buy zombies new cd. No thanks. So I just went to the Bodom signing and met them. After that I waited there so I could meet up with a few people on a different board. They were both pretty cool. I hung out with one for a little bit. We went to battlecross's signing. Everyone has probably heard this before but they are awesome guys and take time with each fan. They had a very long line (time wise) but it was definitely worth it. They took a picture with you and signed anything you put in front of them. They also thanked you for your support etc.

Before coming I had decided that I was going to skip machine head and bodom so I could be front row for Amon Amarth. And I would be seeing all 3 in a week anyways so it's not like I won't ever see them again. So after the battlecross signing jfac ended and I decided to split up with the guy from the other board and go get my wristband for the pit. They let us in an hour and a half before Amon Amarth started.

At about 6 they had this guitar challenge thing. It passed 15 minutes pretty fast and this old dude won a guitar. Finally Amon Amarth came on stage!!! They opened with destroyer of the universe, which is definitely a good opener for them. Their weren't really many pits during the main stage and their was only one person wearing a Viking helmet. Anyway Johan hegg is as good live as he is in the studio. Amon killed it as expected. Also during their set the drummer broke a stick and threw half of a drumstick to me which was pretty cool.

Amon Amarth:
1. Destroyer Of The Universe
2. Pursuit Of Vikings
3. War Of The Gods
4. Deceiver Of The Gods
5. Death In Fire
6. Twilight Of The Thunder God

Next up was mastodon. I wasn't a fan to begin with and I am definitely not a fan after that performance. NO ENERGY, no enthusiasm. They are good musicians, but they vocals sucked and their performance was just boring. I wish they would of had lamb of god or kse in their spot. All in all a real sucky performance.

Mastodon:
1.Black Tongue
2.Crystal Skull
3.Dry Bone Valley
4.Megalodon
5.Stargasm
6.Blasteroid
7.All the Heavy Lifting
8.Spectrelight
9.Bedazzled Fingernails
10.The Sparrow

Next up was five finger death punch. A lot of people can't stand them but I love them. They had a really good set. They played with excitement and energy. Unlike mastodon they looked like they wanted to be there and were having a good time. The highlight of the set for me though was during white knuckles. They let kids up on stage. I'm 15 but I'm about 6 feet. I asked ffdp security dude if I could go up. I told him I was 15 and he said "ya right, your not 15". So I showed him my ID and he let me up. It was pretty awesome. After they finished the song some dude took us off the stage and put us back in the pit. I lost my spot but I was planning on leaving my spot after zombie. And I got to go on stage so I really didn't care. At the end I also caught one of their drumsticks. It was almost like it skidded off everyone's hands and into mine. It was pretty awesome. Definitely one of the best performances of the day.
Five Finger Death Punch
1. Under And Over It
2. Burn It Down
3. Hard To See
4. Bad Company (cover)
5. White Knuckles
6. Lift Me Up
7. Coming Down
8. Never Enough
9. The Bleeding

Next up was Rob Zombie. He wasn't really that good but he wasn't bad either. Don't get me wrong, he has an awesome stage show and everything. It's just that his music isn't more then descent. Mayhem could have gotten a better headliner too. He really doesn't fit into the category of "mayhem". But overall it was a great day. And I'm really glad I was able to go.
Rob Zombie:
1. Teenage Nosferatu Pussy
2. Superbeast
3. Super Charger Heaven
4. Living Dead Girl
5. The Star Spangled Banner
6. We're An American Band
7. More Human Than Human
8. Sick Bubble Gum
9. Drum Solo
10. Meet The Creeper
11. House Of 1000 Corpses
12. Dead City Radio
13. Thunder Kiss 65
14. Dragula

Huntress: 7/10
Battlecross: 10/10
Born Of Osiris: 6/10
Job For A Cowboy: 6/10
Amon Amarth: 9.5/10
Mastodon: 2/10
FFDP: 9/10
Rob Zombie: 7/10
Killswitch Engage-10/24
Slipknot-11/26
Exodus-12/7

Last edited by Bengals279; 07-28-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
N00B

I heavily dislike Crack the Skye and The Hunter, so I wouldn't be impressed with that Mastodon set even if they did put their all into it. Either way, it sucks to see how Mastodon has become in a few short years.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguytoo9 View Post
I heavily dislike Crack the Skye and The Hunter, so I wouldn't be impressed with that Mastodon set even if they did put their all into it. Either way, it sucks to see how Mastodon has become in a few short years.
Those are fighting words! But seriously, I'm not crazy about The Hunter myself. But Crack the Skye? It's their best album in my opinion. What didn't you like about it?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
Those are fighting words! But seriously, I'm not crazy about The Hunter myself. But Crack the Skye? It's their best album in my opinion. What didn't you like about it?
I really didn't care for a good chunk of the riffs, Oblivion is a good track. Bought the album on day one without hearing anything before hand. Loved everything previously to Crack the Skye but just found it uninspired. Even the tracks with Scott Kelly on both the newest albums, don't really do anything for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM
N00B

I was pretty open-minded to Mastodon, even though I've not been able to get into any of their studio albums. I assumed because of all of their critical acclaim, they would put on a good show and make a fan of me. Boy was I wrong.

They had 0 energy and no production value, which I understand may be some of their allure. They were just very lethargic and I even thought they sounded terrible. Aside from some of the real bush league bands on the tour like Attika 7, they were the least enjoyable part of the day.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
N00B

I was at the show yesterday and I agree that Battlecross were impressive.

I love that they have the pit for the Main Stage and am in it every year. Always a good time and it was fun to be up close to Amon Amarth's stage set up as well as the other visuals like Zombies stage show.

Beautiful weather for a show. It is usually like 95 degrees and high humidity on the concrete for the side stages most years (it seems like it at least) so yesterday was killer weather for a show.

You didn't mention Machine Head but they finally came to their senses and opened with Imperium about midway through this tour and it is such a great opener. No surprises in their set followed by Davidian and Aesthetics of Hate which they also added back midway (great choice) and finished with Locust and Halo. They are a killer live band and the new bassist fits them well.

I encourage you to give Mastodon additional extended listens. They are an acquired taste and their sound was bad last night so the vocals were fairly muffled. They need to be seen in an intimate club and are not made for the "big stage" in that they are all about the music and complexity and not showmanship. This will keep them from ever being as big as they should be popularity wise but there were no better musicians on any stage yesterday than Mastodon. Give them another chance. I admire that they choose to follow their own path and not one of seeking mass appeal.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmudan View Post
I was at the show yesterday and I agree that Battlecross were impressive.

I love that they have the pit for the Main Stage and am in it every year. Always a good time and it was fun to be up close to Amon Amarth's stage set up as well as the other visuals like Zombies stage show.

Beautiful weather for a show. It is usually like 95 degrees and high humidity on the concrete for the side stages most years (it seems like it at least) so yesterday was killer weather for a show.

You didn't mention Machine Head but they finally came to their senses and opened with Imperium about midway through this tour and it is such a great opener. No surprises in their set followed by Davidian and Aesthetics of Hate which they also added back midway (great choice) and finished with Locust and Halo. They are a killer live band and the new bassist fits them well.

I encourage you to give Mastodon additional extended listens. They are an acquired taste and their sound was bad last night so the vocals were fairly muffled. They need to be seen in an intimate club and are not made for the "big stage" in that they are all about the music and complexity and not showmanship. This will keep them from ever being as big as they should be popularity wise but there were no better musicians on any stage yesterday than Mastodon. Give them another chance. I admire that they choose to follow their own path and not one of seeking mass appeal.
I skipped machine head. I wanted to be on the barrier for amarth. But I get to see machine head next week so no worries
Killswitch Engage-10/24
Slipknot-11/26
Exodus-12/7
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Cowboy From Hell

I love Mastodon but can see them struggling on Mayhem Fest. Its hard for their music to whip the crowd into a frenzy like heavier bands such as Bodom, MH & Amon does before they go on. They don't have much in the way of stage production like Zombie or FFDP. Mastodon is not a good fit for this tour. They were excellent on the tour with Opeth/Ghost & Dethklok/High On Fire back in 09. They are much better headlining a club.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Buahahahahaha

Honestly if they just played older material, they'd fit in better at Mayhem. Earlier in the tour when they were closing with Blood & Thunder, people at least dug that and then when they played Oblivion. The main reason I think they're not necessarily doing well with a lot of the Mayhem Fest crowd is because a lot of the material on The Hunter really just isn't all that fast paced or meaty. Besides Black Tongue and Spectrelight, none of the tracks they've been regularly playing are the kind of songs people really rock out too. If they cut the shit and started playing more tracks like Capillarian Crest, Wolf is Loose, Iron Tusk, March of the Fire Ants, Mother Puncher, and of course Blood & Thunder, their set might go over better with this kind of crowd. But instead they just playing 8-9 songs off the Hunter along with two old songs.
11/06 Intronaut
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Rats off to ya

Mastodon were good on Mayhem in 08. Before Crack the Skye they pretty much only had heavy material.

Tags
amon amarth, battlecross, five finger death punch, huntress, machine head, mastodon, rob zombie