Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Read the damn Boris essay and read it very carefully. There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.

Last edited by JRA; 07-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.
That's just called having an overinflated ego. You'd probably have one too if you ever wrote music that sold a bajillion copies and you had people telling you how great you are all the time.

Seriously, this Lars as an evil mastermind thing is starting to march into chemtrail territory.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Read the damn Boris essay and read it very carefully. There's also the fact that Lars has given every interview under the planet giving bullshit excuses that he's somehow "above thrash." Yammering that he's above playing fast even though its the only reason anyone cared about his band more than Motley Crue, a [admittedly inferior] band he dogged at every turn.
Fuck the fucking Boris essay! Seriously, how is that guy the authority on all things Metallica or thrash?! I'm not going to spend one more second of my life reading a bullshit essay from a 24-year-old thrash troll! I'll admit, the Lars Ulrich of 2013 is somebody I want nothing to do with. He's an awful, lazy drummer and comes off as an arrogant prick. Granted, the Lars Ulrich of 1986 was probably a little snot, but he wasn't plotting to ruin heavy metal and he certainly wasn't trying to show his artistic honesty. Of all the big thrash bands, Metallica were still the ones who were the most rooted in the NWOBHM sound mostly, I would assume, because Lars was a massive fan and in turn made his bandmates massive fans, and they never really stopped dipping into that well... until the 90's, that is, but that's when Lars becomes Lar$, and the arrogant egomaniac comes to be.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Fuck the fucking Boris essay! Seriously, how is that guy the authority on all things Metallica or thrash?! I'm not going to spend one more second of my life reading a bullshit essay from a 24-year-old thrash troll! I'll admit, the Lars Ulrich of 2013 is somebody I want nothing to do with. He's an awful, lazy drummer and comes off as an arrogant prick. Granted, the Lars Ulrich of 1986 was probably a little snot, but he wasn't plotting to ruin heavy metal and he certainly wasn't trying to show his artistic honesty. Of all the big thrash bands, Metallica were still the ones who were the most rooted in the NWOBHM sound mostly, I would assume, because Lars was a massive fan and in turn made his bandmates massive fans, and they never really stopped dipping into that well... until the 90's, that is, but that's when Lars becomes Lar$, and the arrogant egomaniac comes to be.
He's an authority an all things thrash because he busted his ass writing more thrash reviews than any other sub-genre of metal. Hell, he had respectable authority because he had more reviews than just about anyone on metal-archives for awhile there. Not to mention he did more thrash reviews than any other person on that site. He talked about Kublai Khan, who to this day no one has ever heard of. People give him shit for attacking Opeth, Nevermore, In Flames and Faith No More, and I suppose there is some credence to criticizing why a thrash fan's negative opinion on those bands should be even showcased, but when it comes to actual thrash, he did his homework! I mean for fuck's sake, he's the only person I've ever heard even talk about Kublai Khan!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
I mean for fuck's sake, he's the only person I've ever heard even talk about Kublai Khan!
And you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Ultra Boris.

Just because the person did their homework and knew their thrash doesn't mean their opinion about Lars purposely trying to ruin metal is true. The person just came up with an out there idea to get people to talk. The way Metallica's career went after MOP it's easy for someone to look back on it today and say that's what Lars set out to do, even if they have no concrete evidence to back up their claim. But I bet you if this Ultra Boris was reviewing albums back in 1986 he would've said nothing of the kind about the band ruining metal and probably would've gave MOP the high praise that most fans and critics did.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
And you're the only person I've ever heard talk about Ultra Boris.

So you're giving my opinion credit because I'm the only one that's heard of him? Because that's what I was trying to imply with the Kublai Khan statement (and I'm pretty sure more people have heard of Ultraboris the reviewer than Kublai Khan the thrash band). I don't think that was your intention.

And obviously, the review works more as a retrospective piece than a contemporary analysis. It's why I've stated for awhile that it serves more as an Afterword to Some Kind Of Monster. But then again, he does a describe why its inferior to other metal albums of that year in the scope of thrash. Hell there's an album from 1986 that Boris forgot to mention in his review: Cro-Mags The Age of Quarrell (which he himself gave an 80% and called it "as true-metal as it gets), which was one of, if not THE album that united the metal and hardcore scenes and changed them both forever, which not even the most ardent Metallica fan can claim.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

popcorn.gif

Although now I want to know who the fuck Kublai Khan are.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

He'll get to them, when he gets to 1987. and I really would rather El Gordo just continue on with his retrospective.

Last edited by JRA; 07-25-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Alright, back to our regularly-scheduled programming, that is, until I rate one of JRA's favourite albums lower than Master of Puppets!

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends - November 17, 1986

Albums like Dark Angel's Darkness Descends are few and far between. The third of the 'unholy trinity' of brutal thrash albums from 1986, Darkness Descends is easily the best one. While Reign in Blood thrashed just as brutally as this, it didn't have the song development and variety to make it a genre-definer. Pleasure to Kill on the other hand featured some great songwriting, but didn't have the same emphasis on RIFFS that its American counterparts did, and it was just too sloppy overall. Darkness Descends succeeds because it combines the best parts of the other two. Great riffs are shoved in everywhere, Gene Hoglan's drumwork is exemplary and Don Doty's strangled vocals strike a perfect balance between melody and aggression.

The one problem with Darkness Descends is that the pummeling the listener endures is so constant, it's hard to pick out standout tracks -- there's really little room to breathe. Outside of the intro to "Merciless Death" and the slower parts of "Black Prophecies", the brutality comes at the listener in waves, so much so that it can be an almost painful listen at times. Regardless of that, Darkness Descends takes thrash to a logical extreme without stepping into territories reserved for death or black metal as bands like Possessed or Sepultura did before. No, this is thrash in one of its purest forms. Unadulturated violence, pummeling riffage, expert drumwork, frenzied barking vocals -- a true classic.

Standouts: Merciless Death, Darkness Descends, Death is Certain (Life is Not)

Score: 9/10
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Alright, back to our regularly-scheduled programming, that is, until I rate one of JRA's favourite albums lower than Master of Puppets!

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends - November 17, 1986

Albums like Dark Angel's Darkness Descends are few and far between. The third of the 'unholy trinity' of brutal thrash albums from 1986, Darkness Descends is easily the best one. While Reign in Blood thrashed just as brutally as this, it didn't have the song development and variety to make it a genre-definer. Pleasure to Kill on the other hand featured some great songwriting, but didn't have the same emphasis on RIFFS that its American counterparts did, and it was just too sloppy overall. Darkness Descends succeeds because it combines the best parts of the other two. Great riffs are shoved in everywhere, Gene Hoglan's drumwork is exemplary and Don Doty's strangled vocals strike a perfect balance between melody and aggression.

The one problem with Darkness Descends is that the pummeling the listener endures is so constant, it's hard to pick out standout tracks -- there's really little room to breathe. Outside of the intro to "Merciless Death" and the slower parts of "Black Prophecies", the brutality comes at the listener in waves, so much so that it can be an almost painful listen at times. Regardless of that, Darkness Descends takes thrash to a logical extreme without stepping into territories reserved for death or black metal as bands like Possessed or Sepultura did before. No, this is thrash in one of its purest forms. Unadulturated violence, pummeling riffage, expert drumwork, frenzied barking vocals -- a true classic.

Standouts: Merciless Death, Darkness Descends, Death is Certain (Life is Not)

Score: 9/10

If I were as hard-nosed as people made me out to be I'd be pissed that you ranked this classic equally with Master of Puppets (and .5 lower than Peace Sells).

I used to think Darkness Descends was the best of the "unholy trinity" as you did, but I came to like Pleasure To Kill a bit better. Everything you wrote in your write-up is a hundred precent spot on though. Even the fact that the with the first couple of listens a listener will be confronted with a blur rather than stand out spots. I will also say that in terms of the drumming, it does feel like Gene Hoglan has a much stronger control the drum time whereas Pleasure To Kill has more of a runaway train feel.

There is one thing you forgot to mention though, and that's the fact that Darkness Descends did the machine gun double bass part before "One."

Last edited by JRA; 07-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.