Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Sleep -- Pioneertown, CA -- August 30th, 2014

Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Enslaved – Isa (2004)

I always hop back and forth on what my favorite Enslaved album is; this or Ruun. I’m pretty sure it’s Ruun but damn this album is right at its heels. What separates the two is Ruun was very organic and singular song driven where as this is very spacey and taken better as a whole. I remember buying it after I saw the video for Isa. I didn’t even care for the song (even today I think it’s one of the weaker songs) but I bought the album anyway. Damn, was I glad I did. I think I was in Intermediate Trade School at the time and was stressing out big-time. This album helped me relax. I got Ruun shortly afterwards and the one-two punch of such great albums made me think Enslaved may be the best band in the world. Unfortunately I’m not too high on their other albums (save a song here and there) and I rank this and Ruun light-years ahead of anything else they’ve put out. I can remember Revolver magazine even gave this album five out of five, in an article that was probably bookended by literary wisdom of Vinnie Paul talking about pussy and Christina Scabbatia talking about her pussy. I'm thankful to have seen them on the Ruun tour twice and saw them play most of this album live. Today, you'll hear the title track and that's it. So bad that such a great album has been lost to time.
Favorite Song: Violet Dawning
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-11-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 PM
N00B

Nice. I would have picked different albums from Amon Amarth and Enslaved but they are two of the most consistently great bands out there so any album would be a good choice.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 PM

I'm going to burn through some death metal tonight. No real memories or stories. In fact, a lot of these albums are "staples" in the world of death metal. But maybe some of the younger readers will hear something they like and throw out all their Oceano CD's.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Suffocation – Pierced from Within (1995)

I said months ago that the debate of Effigy of the Forgotten verses Pierced from Within will never end. I personally love Effigy of the Forgotten for the raw brutality. Pierced from Within is a totally different beast with way better production and better song writing overall. But I just don’t like Frank’s vocals as much on this album. If you could combine the song writing on this album with the vocals of Effigy of the Forgotten you would have had an album that would’ve been in my top five.
Favorite Song: Thrones of Blood
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Cryptopsy – None So Vile (1996)

Technical Br00tal Death Metal is a tricky thing to do well. You can go too overboard and up being one of those noodle-core bands. Rings of Saturn can play a million notes but I have no idea what any of their songs are, when one starts, when one finishes, if I’m listening to a ten minute song or ten minute long songs. But if you have enough restraint (and talent) you can make a technical death metal album and have songs that people will remember after it’s done. Cryptopsy, on this their masterpiece, crafted songs that were brutally heavy, uber-technical, dirty, disgusting and yet all stand out on their own. And I can even hear the bass! Thank god too, because it’s fucking fantastic. There’s a reason why people hold this album in such high regard; it’s fucking awesome.
Favorite Song: Crown of Horns
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Deicide
Deicide (1990)

Legion (1992)

White alert, white alert, white alert, the listeners are here.
Our patrols spotted him in the jungle.
Quick, drink the potion they've come to kill us.
Quick, drink the wine, drink the wine.
They'll be here with flame throwers, drink, drink.
If you chug it you'll feel drowsy
You'll lie down and go to sleep, sleep forever...

I like Deicide. I know a lot of people hate them and I can admit they’ve only released two above average albums since 1995. But I still always liked them. That said; they did peak right at the beginning of their career. You just can’t fuck with those first two albums (three, because Once Upon the Cross is really good too but just not as good as these two). It’s not technical, it’s not flashy but it’s well put together, fun to listen to and (here’s that word again) catchy. I instantly know any song off either of these albums. And seriously, that riff in the verses of Sacrificial Suicide has to be one of the best death metal riffs of all-time.
Favorite Song (Deicide): Sacrificial Suicide (here's that classic cable access version too)
Favorite Song (Legion): Revocate The Agitator
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-12-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Carcass – Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious (1992)

Carcass. What more can I write about Carcass that hasn’t been written? Truth be told I like Carcass but I don’t LOVE them like so many people. I really didn’t like the first two albums and Heartwork has three or four songs that I really like. Same for Swansong. It’s all good stuff but it’s just not stuff I love. Except this album. This album is mint from start to finish. There are so many great songs but then there are little fills here and there that just make you go “whoa” (like those little fills at around 5:15 of Inpropagation ). This is such a guitar album. There are just so many great riffs. If there's a downfall to this album it's that there is just so much going on that it can get exhausting to listen to. It was number two in Decibel Magazines recent "Top One Hundred Death Metal albums" special issue. There are a lot of other albums I personally like better but as a general concensious and in the grand scheme of things, and considering how influential this album was, it probably should have been number one.
Favorite Song: Incarnated Solvent Abuse
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Behemoth – Demigod (2005)

I've enjoyed everything I’ve heard by Behemoth but this album is head and shoulders above it all because the vocals are so awesome, thanks to all they layering on them. It’s like a choir of evil in every song. Their other albums have great songs but they never jump out at me. This album the songs just fly out of the speakers. The first five songs especially. It’s just like, “whoa! Shit! Holy cow! Jesus Christ!” I remember the first time I listened to it by time I got to Towards Babylon I was just like; “this album is so fucking awesome, these vocals are so damn brutal!” I guess you could say this was the album that made Behemoth famous. And rightfully so because it’s just a great album.
Favorite Song: Demigod
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM

Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance (2000)

For the longest time I considered this Nile's best album. That’s probably because it has two of their greatest songs: the title track and Masturbating the War God. But then I really listened to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka and came to the realization that was the better album. Not to say this wasn’t an incredible album too. They really upped the Egyptian thing, especially with some of the later songs. And some of the filler songs make this feel like Nile’s “dirtiest” album. Like when I listen to this album I just feel myself getting wrapped in dirty, old mummy…wrap. There’s just a bit too much filler and a few songs drag on a little bit. But as I said, you should own this because the title track and Masturbating the War God are two of the best songs Nile have ever written.
Favorite Song: Masturbating the War God
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Disgorge
Consume the Forsaken (2002)

Parallels of Infinite Torture (2005)

I’ve heard a lot of Br00tal Death Metal in the last few years and a lot of it ranges from shit to just okay. Disgorge, especially on these two albums, are probably the best band I’ve heard doing this kind of music since the year 2000. They’re over shadowed (of course) by pre-millennium stuff by Suffocation and Cryptopsy. But I consider them a “newer” band and I think they’re the best “newer” br00tal death metal band out there. I’m contradicting myself a lot here but I like that their albums are just a blur of riffs, blast-beats and death vocals. Something about this band is just better than any of the million other bands out there doing this.
Favorite Song (Consume the Forsaken): Divine Suffering
Favorite Song (Parallels of Infinite Torture): Descending Upon Convulsive Devourment
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend