Queen - Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014
Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Deafheaven -- Kansas City, MO -- July 8th, 2013

American black metal is pretty sharply divided into two camps. There's the throwback to classic Norwegian black metal which is making a surging comeback, and then there is the more ethereal type of black metal, taking cues from post-metal and shoegaze as well. In the latter camp, there might not be a more exciting or popular band making that type of music than San Francisco's Deafheaven. Deafheaven has the soundscape and ethos of a band like My Bloody Valentine, but the blastbeats and the shrieking vocals from Enslaved. The crowd filled the Record Bar for the band and was very receptive to the performance, even though there was no encore. Deafheaven played three tracks from their latest opus "Sunbather" and one from their now-legendary debut album "Roads to Judah." The material off of Sunbather is the perfect combination of Explosions In The Sky-esque, guitar-layering post-rock and blastbeat laden black metal. Deafheaven really is the best of both worlds. Each song played that night was a journey through peaks and valleys of ever-differing soundscapes that captivated the audience. The band showed just how harsh music can also be beautiful with deep melodies underneath a wall of noise. Opening song "Dream House" and closer "The Pecan Tree" were especially great. The sole song off Roads to Judah was "Unrequited" and it elicited the biggest response from the crowd of the night. Unfortunately, Deafheaven did not play an encore like they have been on other dates. It would've only added to the amazing performance of the band, but some Deafeaven is better than no Deafheaven at all.

Only one other band performed that night, and it was opening band Marriages. Marriages is made up of members from post-rock band Red Sparowes, which in turn is made up of members from bands such as Isis and Neurosis - quite a hefty shadow to step out from behind, but Marriages are definitely carving their own way with their own sound. Led by frontwoman Emma Ruth Rundle who utilizes her guitar with feedback along with looped vocals and samples to conjure up more than just a passing resemblence to bands like Jucifer or Big Business. Dave Clifford pulled double-duty with a fantastic performance on bass guitar, but also performing some keyboards. At any point in time during their performance, Marriages sounded anywhere from Sonic Youth to early Boris. In a way, they were the perfect compliment to Deafheaven's sonic harshness. Marriages was heavy, but it was a refined and cautionary heaviness - one that built up over time and exploded at the apex of their songs. Very impressive.

The Record Bar had a good number of attendees by the time Deafheaven went on. No moshing or anything like that, but a lot of headbanging and even some singing along - which was a bit surprising. The venue is still one of the best sounding in Kansas City. Deafheaven's vocalist George Clarke came through very loud yet very clear and the guitars, despite the music calling for a wall of noise, were clear enough to hear every nuance of the songwriting. All in all, it was one of the greatest performances of the year.

Deafheaven:

Dream House
Sunbather
Unrequited
The Pecan Tree

Deafheaven: 9/10
Marriages: 8/10
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I really want to see this band some day. I think I'm ordering Sunbather as soon as I have some money.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidFlame View Post
I really want to see this band some day. I think I'm ordering Sunbather as soon as I have some money.
They only had Sunbather CD's at the show but they said in like a week they're repressing it in vinyl
08/07 - Handguns (?)
08/15 - Whores
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
N00B

God damn 18+ shows
Sidewise- 8/9
Soufly- 8/11
Decrepit Birth-8/14
Gemini Syndrome- 8/16
Hellyeah-8/22
Battlecross-10/5

Last edited by Bengals279; 07-09-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 07-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

10/31-King Diamond
Old 07-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Heavy Metal Weather Man

They were phenomenal. And despite his angry and intense demeanor onstage, George ended up being a very nice and genial dude, willing to talk about how good Marriages is and his vocal techniques.

I bought two vinyls and a CD from Deafheaven, and I'd have bought more if they had more music to buy!

I agree: one of the best performances of the year.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
They only had Sunbather CD's at the show but they said in like a week they're repressing it in vinyl
Gonna buy it in CD format anyway. I don't have a turntable yet.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 AM
N00B

saw them in seattle, had to be one of my favorite performances ever ! they ended up putting violet back into the encore, i was worried they weren't going to play it.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Dave Clifford pulled double-duty with a fantastic performance on bass guitar, but also performing some keyboards.
That would be Greg Burns, not Dave Clifford. Both are members of Red Sparowes along with Emma, but Dave is the drummer and Greg is the bassist / keyboard player. He also plays the pedal steel guitar that's such an integral part of the quintessential Red Sparowes sound.

(Just happened to notice the discrepancy as I was passing by here looking for something else. )

Last edited by Natrlhi; 06-25-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Tags
deafheaven