Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Judas Priest -- Worcester, MA -- July 26th, 1988
Arsis -- West Springfield, VA -- September 1st, 2014
Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014

Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying - July 20, 1986

Ever since he was unceremoniously ousted from Metallica in 1983, Dave Mustaine has vowed to be better than Metallica. This album was the closest he ever got. Sure, it's better than every single Metallica album, except for one. Ride the Lightning beats Peace Sells just because of the simple fact that it's totally fucking perfect, but Peace Sells is really, really damn close.

There's so much to like about this album. First of all, the overall sound is really pleasing. It's a shame that albums don't sound like this anymore. The guitars crush, the bass is clearly audible, the drums and vocals are both where they should be. The songs are very well written too, all of them excellent, varied pieces of thrash metal that expand on Dave's original vision from Killing 'Em All is my Business. Then there are the riffs. Oh good fucking god, the riffs! These riffs are so twisted and neck-snapping that only an egomaniacal control-freak with a substance abuse problem like Dave Mustaine could write them. What about the guitar solos? Well, my friends, almost every solo on this record is the type that makes you air guitar and stick out your tongue, wiggling it against an invisible, floating vagina.

Yes kids, this is fucking THRASH METAL, capitalized forever. The fact that the so-called 'unholy trinity' gets talked about when talking thrash in 1986, the fact that Master of Puppets gets talked about when talking thrash in 1986 before this albums gets talked about is a fucking travesty. This is the best of 1986 (that I've heard so far, anyway -- maybe Anvil Bitch will change my mind!) and it would be absolutely fucking perfect if it weren't for one thing. THAT STUPID FUCKING COVER SONG!! Why, Dave? Why?! It's not a bad cover by any means, but it totally fucks with the momentum of this masterpiece. It also cuts the album's awesome closing track, "My Last Words" off from the rest of the album. Silly. Metallica kept all their covers on separate releases, Dave! D'oh!

Standouts: My Last Words, Good Mourning/Black Friday, Devil's Island

Score: 9.5/10
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver - July 29, 1986

This is the first review that I've had to totally re-write for this project. I originally gave Doomsday for the Deceiver a 7, which is not a bad score at all, in fact it qualifies it as a very good album, definitely above average. I didn't post the review right away because something didn't sit right with me, so I decided to listen to it again the next morning. It's fairly obvious I didn't give it enough of a chance originally, because I turned it up loud, let the aggressive riffing swallow me up and decided this is a whole lot more than a very good album.

The overall sound of Doomsday for the Deceiver is extremely aggressive yet melodic, straddling the line somewhere between Metallica and Anthrax. Most of the songs are rip-your-face-off fast, with a lot of slow acoustic interludes and intros, some of which feel a little unnecessary. Jason Newsted's bass is fairly high in the mix, and I have to think it was at least part of the reason for him getting the call from Metallica because he puts on a fucking clinic on this album. Eric A.K.'s vocals are less aggressive than most thrash vocalists' of the same period, but they do fit the music well and give the music a bit of a Diamond Head feel at times.

What a solid thrash album. There are some weaker songs, but the strong ones are textbook thrash mastery. It's pretty obvious these guys had been listening to the giants since they formed back in 1981. I can't believe I was going to give this a 7...

Standouts: Der Fuhrer, Hammerhead, Iron Tears

Score: 8.5/10
Old 06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I Ain't Superstitious really is random as hell.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I Ain't Superstitious really is random as hell.
Yea, you've spent the past 30 minutes getting your face smashed in that when you hear that blues lick kick in you're all "ARRGGHH FUCK THIS SHIT SKIPSKIPSKIP" but if you listen to it on its own it isn't bad at all.

I respectfully disagree on Peace Sells being the closest Dave ever got to eclipsing Metallica. For one thing he actually did it and two, he did it again with Rust In Peace.

It's actually really interesting in that while its obvious Chris Poland is talented, Mustaine outshines him on lead on more than multiple occasions.

You gave Peace Sells a 9.5/10 and you gave Puppets a 9/10. I'm happy.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM

Detente - Recognize No Authority - August, 1986

Dawn Crosby is the fourth female thrash vocalist we've heard from and is definitely one of the more intriguing ones. Somewhere between the melodic shouting of Sentinel Beast's Debbie Gunn and the proto-death metal stylings of Holy Moses' Sabina Classen, Crosby is somehow more pissed-off sounding than Classen. She comes off like a female Paul Baloff -- very little real singing talent, but all attitude, and just fucking livid-sounding. Indeed, she did have some issues, dying about 10 years later due to liver failure.

What about the rest of the band? The album itself? Well, it's not awful, but it's pretty unspectacular. The band struggles to find an identity, mashing together some pretty decent, catchy choruses with verse riffs that just don't want to go together. The band definitely sound better when they're doing more mid-paced epic-sounding stuff, as opposed to the speedy, crossover parts they tend to fall into more often, but really the whole recording lacks intensity, so much so that it makes Crosby's vocals sound almost comical or tiresome. There are some bright spots, but they're mostly during the choruses when the whole band comes together with solid riffs and hooky vocals. Being that this is 1986, and we've already heard a large amount of truly classic thrash, well that just ain't gonna cut it.

Standouts: Vultures in the Sky, Shattered Illusions, Holy Wars

Score: 5/10
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Hirax - Hate, Fear and Power - August, 1986

The problem with Hirax's first album, released a year earlier was that it was just too much of the same thing. 2-minute blast after 2-minute blast for a half hour can get tedious and is the main reason I've never been able to get into hardcore or grindcore. Whether it was intentional or not, Hirax improved on their debut in two ways. The first is that it's about half as long at a whopping 16 minutes. The second is that they figured out that good thrash isn't always full-speed ahead.

That second point is the key to this album being much better than their first album. Even though the first three tracks are straight-ahead speed freaks, with the 40-second title track featuring something that resembles a blast beat, it's the second half of the album where we see Hirax start to vary their songwriting. "The Last War" features an excellent, punishing main riff that sounds very similar to what Slayer would start doing a couple years later. The slower parts also give Katon's soaring vocals room to breathe and in doing so makes you wonder why they didn't do more of it. It's a shame that Hirax wouldn't be heard from again (other than a demo in 1987) until 2004, because there's a whole lot of potential in this release.

Standouts: The Last War, Imprisoned by Ignorance, The Plague

Score: 7/10
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Detente - Recognize No Authority - August, 1986

Dawn Crosby is the fourth female thrash vocalist we've heard from and is definitely one of the more intriguing ones. Somewhere between the melodic shouting of Sentinel Beast's Debbie Gunn and the proto-death metal stylings of Holy Moses' Sabina Classen, Crosby is somehow more pissed-off sounding than Classen. She comes off like a female Paul Baloff -- very little real singing talent, but all attitude, and just fucking livid-sounding. Indeed, she did have some issues, dying about 10 years later due to liver failure.

What about the rest of the band? The album itself? Well, it's not awful, but it's pretty unspectacular. The band struggles to find an identity, mashing together some pretty decent, catchy choruses with verse riffs that just don't want to go together. The band definitely sound better when they're doing more mid-paced epic-sounding stuff, as opposed to the speedy, crossover parts they tend to fall into more often, but really the whole recording lacks intensity, so much so that it makes Crosby's vocals sound almost comical or tiresome. There are some bright spots, but they're mostly during the choruses when the whole band comes together with solid riffs and hooky vocals. Being that this is 1986, and we've already heard a large amount of truly classic thrash, well that just ain't gonna cut it.

Standouts: Vultures in the Sky, Shattered Illusions, Holy Wars

Score: 5/10
You forgot the number one rule of thrash: Always big sunglasses cool band.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Hallows Eve - Death & Insanity - August 31, 1986

Hallows Eve's first album was a bit of an up-and-down affair, lacking focus and direction. Their second release is not a whole lot different, but it's definitely an improvement on the first. Hallows Eve are not the most violent band, nor are they the most technical but they certainly are fun. They play thrash with a bit of an Iron Maiden flavour, epic and grandiose, which isn't a bad thing, but given what else is out there at this point, Death & Insanity just isn't all that impressive. "Goblet of Gore" is a fine song though, as is "D.I.E" and even "Lethal Tendencies" is enjoyable if not a bit repetitive. At any rate, this is a decent album, probably for fans of the genre only.

Standouts: Goblet of Gore, D.I.E., Lethal Tendencies

Score: 7/10
Old 07-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Nuclear Assault - Game Over - October, 1986

I've always felt that the New York area thrash bands wore their punk influences on their sleeves moreso than their Californian counterparts, and nowhere is this more apparent than on a Nuclear Assault album. Whether you sported long hair or a mohawk, Nuclear Assault's debut must have appealed to a wide range of punks and metalheads since it featured metal-as-fuck riffs coupled with a punk rock attitude. Add in some excellent songwriting and the howling vocals of John Connelly, and you have one of the better releases of 1986.

Nuclear Assault could play as fast as anyone, but they also played a lot of mid-paced stuff that was carried by great riffs and powerful vocals. Hearing songs like "Brain Death" and "After the Holocaust" in a sweaty NYC club in 1986 must have been quite the trip because even though they may not be the fastest songs around, they evoke a sense of turmoil that would have to make for a great live experience. Given the amount of notoriety other releases from 1986 have garnered, I'm surprised that Game Over isn't right there with them -- I mean, it's fun as fuck, and there are moments that are as punishing as anything out there at the time. Sure, the guitars are a little thin and there are some needless interlude tracks, but this is a welcome addition to the thrash metal equation.

Standouts: Stranded In Hell, Brain Death, Radiation Sickness

Score: 8.5/10
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Everyone should own this album for Brain Death alone.