5.I Am A Viking
6.Overture 1383
7.Anguish And Fear
8.On The Run Again
9.Soldier Without Faith
10.Caught In The Middle
11.Marching Out

Released In 1985

The phenomenal guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen's second album has all the great Neo-Classical elements and lighting fast fret work of his debut, and adds a more raw sound and more vocals from the great Jeff Scot Scoto, with only three instrumental tracks.Jeff Scot Scoto's vocals are vastly improved on this album and Malmsteen's guitar tone is also very much more thicker, making this album one of his best releases.The album starts with a haunting prelude track that leads straight into the furious "I'll See The Light Tonight", that then goes into the powerful "Don't Let It End" and the "Disciples Of Hell" (the later having an unbelievable acoustic solo at the beginning).This opening three punch attack coupled with the great prelude make for one of the best album beginnings of any power metal release.It wouldn't be classic Yngwie without the incredible keyboardist Jens Johansson, who takes the keyboard to the next level on this album.In all, this album takes the greatness of the first album and takes it up a notch, just short of a 10.

Highlight:
"Don't Let It End" http://grooveshark.com/s/Dont+Let+It+End/rU2Dn?src=5

9/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 05-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Open The Gates-Manilla Road

1.Metalstorm
2.Open The Gates
3.Astronomica
4.Weavers Of The Web
5.The Ninth Wave
6.Heavy Metal To The World
7.The Fires Of Mars
8.Road Of Kings
9.Hour Of The Dragon
10.Witches Brew

Released In 1985

Manilla Road started out as a straight up astonishing heavy metal act, but on Open The Gates, they moved to a more power metal approach.The choice was a wise one, because this is the best Manilla Road album IMO, having amazing vocals, fist-pounding power metal anthems, furious fret-work, tight rhythm section, and the tone of the guitars on this record is incredible.Songs like "Hour Of The Dragon" and "Heavy Metal To The World" showcase the thick guitar tone and anthem-like choruses very well, and both are some of the best on the album.Bottom line, this album is one of power metal's greatest albums, and helped further form the signature power metal sound.

Highlight:
"Open The Gates" http://grooveshark.com/s/Open+The+Gates/4Y2xli?src=5

10/10
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
We're dying on the inside

I'm really glad you like Manilla Road.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
...the dead are among us!

Manilla Road was excellent last night!
1/22 - Vattnet Viskar
2/8 - Aesop Rock ?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Walls Of Jericho - Helloween

1.Walls Of Jericho
2.Ride The Sky
3.Reptile
4.Guardians
5.Phantoms Of Death
6.Metal Invaders
7.Gorgar
8.Heavy Metal (Is The Law)
9.How Many Tears

Released In 1985

Helloween, not only one of the greatest power metal bands of all-time, not only one of best metal bands of all time, but also one of the best artists of all-time period.In early 1985 they released their self-titled EP.Though a good EP for a debut, it just didn't have enough power that it could have had, and it was more in vain of speed metal than power metal.Their actual ALBUM debut though is most likely the best pre-Keeper era power metal album their is.Kai Hansen's vocals are more improved, the guitars (played also by Kai Hansen as well as Michael Weikath) are more aggressive and the tone is more beefy, Markus Grosskopf (bass player) keeps a very strong solid backbone with some good fills and riffs thrown here and there, and Ingo Schwichtenberg does a phenomenal job of the drums.After the title-intro, the album kicks things into gear right of the bat with amazing "Ride The Sky", making for an amazing first impression, and it is definitely the highlight of this album.The album never stops for the rest of the 8 tracks, just in-your-face power metal all the way."Phantoms Of Death" in particular has possibly the best guitar sound on the entrie album, and "Heavy Metal (Is The Law)" features incredible drum work.To conclude things, it is one heck of a power metal record that gets overlooked sometimes because it's right before two classics.

Highlight:
"Ride The Sky" http://grooveshark.com/s/Ride+The+Sky/3gIErD?src=5

10/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 07-25-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM

Freedom's Rise - Liege Lord

1.Prodigy
2.Wielding Iron Fists
3.Darktale
4.Amnesty
5.Rage Of Angels
6.Vials Of Wrath
7.Warrior Farewell
8.For The King
9.Legionnaire

Released In 1985

One of the last pre-Keeper era power metal bands of the US, Liege Lord came onto the scene with their debut Freedom's Rise.The guitars that are on this record are incredible, and the bass playing is some of the best of its time, but that's about all this record has going for it.The vocals are good, but are just to all over the pace, switching from the lower register to the high falsettos and everything in between too much, never zeroing in on one at a time.This almost sounds like third rate Judas Priest.All that said, for the guitars alone I'm giving this a 6/10, and this does show that they had potential to improve on their future releases.

Highlight:
"Legionnaire" http://grooveshark.com/s/Legionnaire/58mBoB?src=5

6/10
Old 07-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Trilogy - Yngwie Malmsteen

1.You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget
2.Liar
3.Queen In Love
4.Crying
5.Fury
6.Fire
7.Magic Mirror
8.Dark Ages
9.Trilogy Suite Op: 5

Released In 1986

When the first keyboards strike on the opening track "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget", you'll probably think this is just a typical 80's rock record, but right as the song has finished and gone into the furious "Liar", you will then realize this is classic Yngwie.Another thing you will realize is that Yngwie has gotten a new vocalist for this album, Mark Boals.I believe he is an amazing singer and probably in some ways better than Jeff Scott Soto.Jens Johansson has gotten better with every album and that includes this album, which features incredible keyboard playingm and his brother Anders Johansson is also a solid drummer.Yngwie Malmsteen of course continues to amaze with his phenomenal guitar playing.This album features both Yngwie's classic cuts ("Queen In Love", "You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget") and underrated gems ("Fury", "Magic Mirror").The highlight of this album though is the closing instrumental epic "Trilogy Op: 5".

Highlight:
"Trilogy Suite Op: 5" http://grooveshark.com/s/Trilogy+Sui...5/3UTmHJ?src=5

9/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 07-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 PM

War Games - Grave Digger

1.Keep On Rocking
2.Heaven Can Wait
3.Fire In Your Eyes
4.Let Your Heads Roll
5.Love Is Breaking My Heart
6.Paradise
7.(Enola Gay)Drop The Bomb
8.Fallout
9.Playin' Fools
10.The End

Released In 1986

First off I'd like to say sorry for the very slow review output, I've been very busy as of late and haven't had much time, while also trying to gather as much knowledge of power metal bands as I can so I am able to know what albums are released when and what bands I don't need to worry about until later on.Now that's said, time for the review.Grave Digger are one of power metals earliest greats, and this album is a somewhat of a little disappointment after hearing two incredible albums (Heavy Metal Breakdown, Witch Hunter).This album is by no means bad, there's just something missing from the previous two that I can't out my finger on.The guitar is great on this album, nowhere near the incredible guitar playing of Witch Hunter, but there's definitely still greatness in it.The riffs are nothing spectacular, but the guitar tone however still is.The bass playing is pretty impressive as well, and probably an actual improvement over previous records.The drums are solid as well, and as for the vocals, well they definitely haven't changed but it wouldn't be Grave Digger without this style of vocals.This record seems to be their most speed metal oriented than any of their other releases, so I guess that contributes to the albums not to high rating for straying to far from power metal.They are definitely some worthwhile gems in here for sure though, like the furious guitar attack of "Fire In Your Eyes", the spooky ballad "Love Is Breaking My Heart", and the catchiest song on the album, the rocker "Playin' Fools".

Highlight:
"Playin' Fools" http://grooveshark.com/s/Playin+Fools/U16Fo?src=5

7/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 03-15-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Noble Savage - Virgin Steele

1.We Rule The Night
2.I'm On Fire
3.Thy Kingdom Come
4.Image Of A Faun At Twilight
5.Noble Savage
6.Fight Tooth And Nail
7.The Evil In Her Eyes
8.Rock Me
9.Don't Close Your Eyes
10.The Angel Of Light

Released In 1986

Virgin Steele released one of the first two power metal albums of all time along with Europe, and it was an outstanding release and definitely a hard one to follow.Once I finished listening to this record, I decided it was even better then the previous.This is definitely a very underrated power metal album that gets little to no attention from power metal fans and even Virgin Steele fans.The guitar tone is better then the previous, and riffs are furious (Edward Pursino took Jack Starr's place on guitar).David DeFeis' vocals are incredible and just as good (if not better) then previous releases.The album opens with the bombastic "We Rule The Night" and only gets better from there.They even manage to slap two glam-tinged tracks right next to each other, the sleazy "Rock Me" and the ballad "Don't Close Your Eyes".The album closes with the best track off the record, the seven minute epic "The Angel Of Light".

Highlight:
"The Angel Of Light" http://grooveshark.com/s/The+Angel+O...t/3tMJjW?src=5

10/10
Old 08-10-2013, 03:36 PM

The Deluge - Manilla Road

1.Dementia
2.Shadow In The Black
3.Divine Victim
4.Hammer Of The Witches
5.Morbid Tabernacle
6.Isle Of The Dead
7.Taken By Storm
8.The Deluge
9.Friction In Mass
10.Rest In Pieces

Released In 1986

Manilla Road is yet another one of the many classic power metal bands in the history of the genre.Their previous album Open The Gates was truly a masterpiece, and with an album such as good as that one was it would almost be impossible to follow up with one that is just as good if not better.Well, this album definitely isn't better, and it probably might be weaker in some areas, but this is a great record nonetheless.The vocals probably are probably the main weak point I would say, just not being as good as on the previous album, but the guitars are as incredible as ever.Highlights include fantastic opener choice "Dementia", the spooky "Shadow In The Black", and the speed metal-esque "Taken By Storm".

Highlight:
http://grooveshark.com/s/Taken+By+Storm/41VmLn?src=5

8/10