Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Dude, that Silver Mt. Zion record... fuck. I love it. Those violins - so melancholic.

I should really start listening to more post-rock. I've always had a hang-up about it because of the lack of vocals, but I don't really mind that anymore. I also just checked out 65daysofstatic and while they're not very depressing, I dig 'em a lot.

(Ulver and Skinless sound pretty cool too.)
Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Dude, that Silver Mt. Zion record... fuck. I love it. Those violins - so melancholic.

I should really start listening to more post-rock. I've always had a hang-up about it because of the lack of vocals, but I don't really mind that anymore. I also just checked out 65daysofstatic and while they're not very depressing, I dig 'em a lot.

(Ulver and Skinless sound pretty cool too.)
I'm glad you're getting so much out of this thread. If I can help one person out then my job is done. There's still a bit to come but this has taken a backseat for my Napalm Death thread. But I'm not done.

Judging by what you've enjoyed in this thread you may like Ulvers later dark-ambient stuff. I've never listened to it too much so I can't comment, but you should check it out.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-22-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Desert Sessions, The - Vol. 1&2 (1998)

I was never too into drugs in my teenage years. But when I was, I listened to this. A ďsupergroupĒ of sorts that was made up of Josh Homme (pre-rockstar) and a bunch of guys from bands Iíve never heard of going into the desert, dropping acid and jamming. They released ten EPís under this name but this is really the only one (two, I guess) worth your time. I canít say too much more other than go get really fucking high and listen to it.
Favorite Song: Screamin' Eagle
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (1992)

Since we’re on the topic of getting high…Sleep. I remember being high as a kite sometime in 1996 or 1997 watching Muchmusic’s Friday night metal show Loud. They always played a lot of stuff I liked, but they always closed the show with a bit more obscure, “how the hell did this end up on the air, even if it’s one o’clock in the morning” videos that I loved. You gotta remember, this was a decade before youTube. Dragonaut was one of those videos. My mind…was blown. Like so many other times I ran to the CD store the next day and they actually had two copies of Holy Mountain. There was some other half baked there in front of me buying it too (he was probably watching Loud the night before too). I got home and didn’t even smoke any weed; I just listened in awe to this album. I did like the songs Aquarian, Holy Mountain, From Beyond and the aforementioned Dragonaut best at first, because I preferred the singing over the yelling. But this album isn’t about the singing; it’s about those fucking riffs. You can’t find one song that doesn’t have one riff in it that is anything less than EPIC. All due respect to Tony Iommi, he wrote some of the greatest riffs in metal history. But they were never played with the ferocity of this album. If you like riffs, weed or a combination of both you are a fool for not listening to this album. Sleep recorded another album really good album (I think you all know the one I’m talking about) but this was just fucking awesome. Earache records was really an awesome label in the early 1990’s.
Favorite Song: From Beyond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-23-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Sons of Otis – Templeball (1999)

Still on the topic of getting high here is a Toronto blues/stoner band that everyone should check out. I mentioned these guys earlier in my post about Shallow, North Dakota. I never really listened to Sons of Otis before that show either but after the show I spent two years looking everywhere for this damn album. And unlike a lot of other times when I spend eons looking for an album only to be disappointed, this was actually worth it. The only bad thing about this album is the drums are a (terribly programmed) drum machine. But it has some bad-ass riffs. I really recommend smoking a big fat joint before listening to this album because it will be an experience you’ll want to relive over and over. That is, if you can even find this album.
Favorite Song: Super Typhoon
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Nachtmystium Ė Addicts: Black Meddle Pt. 2 (2010)

Iíve been talking about getting high a lot lately, maybe even glorifying it a bit too much. Itís perfectly okay to get high if youíre careful. If youíre not youíll end up like this album. Itís just very dirty and depressing. But, it has a lot of really good songs on it. And for as dirty and depressing as this album makes me feel a lot of the music is surprisingly upbeat. The keyboards are really good on songs like No Funeral, The End Is Eternal and Every Last Drop. And the guitar work is fantastic on the whole damn album. No single song sticks out. Iíd recommend this album if you like Motorhead or Darkthrone. Those are the two bands that I hear when Iím listening to this album. But if the video for Every Last Drop doesnít make you feel a little sick to your stomach youíve got something wrong with you.
Favorite Song: Ruined Life Continuum
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 07-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Aphex Twin – Drukqs (2002)

Aphex Twin is quite the hard pill to swallow. I don’t really consider Aphex Twin techno, electronica, dance or whatever. They (he) encompassed elements of those styles but put it all together to create a sound that was just…Aphex Twin. I usually refer to this music as “broken computer music”. Think of your computer wigging out, sparks flying out of it, weird images coming out of the screen and smoke coming from the back. Aphex Twin is the soundtrack to that visual. On this album he added a lot of piano interludes that gave you some time to breath after the chaos. And some of them are actually beautiful. So of them though, could be considered filler. If he had trimmed a bit of the fat and made it one disc it would have been top twenty material. As it is it's just incredible, and the amount of work that went into creating it is astonishing. Disc One is far superior to Disk Two.
Favorite Song (Disc One): Jynweythek Ylow
Favorite Song (Disc Two): Beskhu3epnm
Both of those are piano interludes, so here’s my favorite “dance song” off the album: Vordhosbn

And if you've never heard of Aphex Twin you should probably watch this. I wouldn't be posting it if it wasn't another one of the greatest music videos of all-time.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 11-05-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Nails – Abandon All Life (2013)

I’m really, really new to this album. I’ve only had it for two or three weeks. But it only took me a few seconds to realize that it was one of the best albums I’d heard in a long time. I love me some short, fast songs and this has it in abundance. The production and mixing is goddamn perfect. I know I said earlier that I was a little tired of the Stockholm guitar sound but it works here. The vocals are insane. Like, perfectly insane. Even the artwork is incredible. The band picture is scarier than any of those cheesy black metal bands from Portland. And the songs, which are the most important part afterall, are fucking mint. They write some of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time and play them for only ten seconds, which is genius because it leaves you wanting more, MORE, MORE! Now’s the time where I’d usually say, “however…”. But not this time.
Favorite Song: No Surrender (that riff thirty seconds in)
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Nails Ė Abandon All Life (2013)

Iím really, really new to this album. Iíve only had it for two or three weeks. But it only took me a few seconds to realize that it was one of the best albums Iíd heard in a long time. I love me some short, fast songs and this has it in abundance. The production and mixing is goddamn perfect. I know I said earlier that I was a little tired of the Stockholm guitar sound but it works here. The vocals are insane. Like, perfectly insane. Even the artwork is incredible. The band picture is scarier than any of those cheesy black metal bands from Portland. And the songs, which are the most important part afterall, are fucking mint. They write some of the heaviest riffs I've heard in a long time and play them for only ten seconds, which is genius because it leaves you wanting more, MORE, MORE! Nowís the time where Iíd usually say, ďhoweverÖĒ. But not this time.
Favorite Song: No Surrender (that riff thirty seconds in)
Just a phenomenal record!

That Aphex Twin album is pretty damn good as well. I haven't listened to him in forever.
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9'21 Overkill ?
9/27 Blood Feast
Old 07-11-2013, 12:49 AM

Amon Amarth Ė With Oden On Our Side (2006)

Amon Amarth is one of those bands that any album is interchangeable. They are the AC/DC of death metal. What I mean, basically, is every album is the same. If you like one there is no reason why you wouldnít like the others. Thereís nothing wrong with that. Consistency is good and sometimes you need something you can rely on. And you can rely on the fact that an album by Amon Amarth will have forty minutes of solid metal. Great melodies: check. Catchy songs: check. Epic stories about Vikings: check. You always remember your ďfirstĒ. Your first girl, your first car and your first album by a certain band. This was my first Amon Amarth album so it holds fond memories for me. I keep telling a story about the time in my life that was winter 2006/2007, playing Final Fantasy XII and the music I was listening to at the time and how much it helped me. Well, this is another album I got at that time. I can say itís better than Vs. the World or Twilight of the Thundergod but if I had heard those albums first they may have taken this spot on the list. I donít understand why though that if they play any songs off this album live now itís usually the three worst songs off it (Asator, Runes to My Memory and the Cry of the Blackbirds). Just listen to Amon Amarth because itís always quality music.
Favorite Song: Prediction Of Warfare
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend