Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Bringer of Darkness

HB420's 2013 Half Year Top 20 Thread

Decided to do a half-year wrap up. Make my job a little easier come December since I already heard so much stuff already.

20. Wrekmeister Harmonies - You've Always Meant So Much To Me
(Thrill Jockey)
Wrekmeister Harmonies is JR Robinson a video/sound artist from Chicago. He along with an ensemble of other musicians of his choosing to help bring about his vision, form the band at any given moment or performance. This time bringing along Jef Whitehead (Leviathan), Bruce LaMont (Yakuza), Drew Markuszewski (Avichi, ex-Nachtystium), producer Sanford Parker and few others for the recording of this album. The album is a mammoth near 40 minute drone piece which incorporates elements of post metal, black metal and doom, for the most punishing climax I've heard to a song in a really long time.

19. Black Sabbath - 13
(Vertigo/Universal)

What can be said about this album really? It shows 3/4 of Sabbath in the finest shape they've been in a long time. Ozzy hasn't sounded this good since Ozzmosis. Plus Tony and Gezzer are on fire nearly the entire time, bringing riff after riff and bass line after incredible bass line. The drumming may be uninspired and the band may run out of steam at moments but who cares because they pick themselves right back up again. Offering up two stone cold classics in "Age of Reason" and "Damaged Soul". We got an album that can sit side by side with the first six and for me that's all that really matters.

18. Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury
(Profound Lore/Candlelight)

The third album by Altar of Plagues sees them completely veering off the path so to speak. Totally throwing away the template they had been using since White Tomb. They regress to a more frenzied grinding style of black metal that also throws elements of folk, electronic and industrial music. Best shown on the haunting "Burnt Year". While the new direction may not be fully developed yet, it's an exciting new beginning not just for the band but for black metal.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 AM
We're dying on the inside

Solid start. I'll figure out my half-year top 20 soon. Probably two of these will make the cut.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Fairies wear boots and ya gotta believe me.

I missed that Wrekmeister Harmonies show a few nights ago in Chicago. I haven't heard any of their stuff, but the stuff sounds like something I'd enjoy. Going to have to pick that up when I get a chance.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Bringer of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Solid start. I'll figure out my half-year top 20 soon. Probably two of these will make the cut.
I know which two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonos View Post
I missed that Wrekmeister Harmonies show a few nights ago in Chicago. I haven't heard any of their stuff, but the stuff sounds like something I'd enjoy. Going to have to pick that up when I get a chance.
Seeing them live would be amazing, but yeah if you love stuff like Earth, Bong or early Boris. I'm sure you'd dig this.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Bringer of Darkness

17. Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
(Rise Above)

Same ol' Church of Misery but is that really a negative thing? Serial killer based stoner doom. That thunders and roars with unrelenting fury and bluesy grooves, that you can't help but headbang too. "Dusseldorf Monster" is a twelve minute masterpiece that just might have their sickest riffs yet.

16. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
(Peaceville)

The best decision Nocturno and Fenriz could have made was to severely dial down the crust and punk influences and turn up the trad, speed, thrash, and proto-black metal ones. Even if the vocals border on the ridiculous sometimes, it doesn't matter because the riffs are brought in abundance and crushing beyond belief. Like on the epic closing track "Leave No Cross Behind" which turns from a thrashy NWOBHM onslaught to a Celtic Frost worshiping dirge.