12. Suffer the Children
13. From Enslavement to Obliteration
14. Dead/Practice What You Preach
15. Mentally Murdered
16. Extremity Retained
17. Mind Snare
18. Success?
19. Rise Above

I haven’t heard this since I’m never interested in live albums. Despite being released in 1992 it was actually recorded in 1990, which explains why so little of the then current incarnation of Napalm Deaths material is included. It’s nice that Dead is included since I seriously doubt they ever play that song live anymore. And it’s really odd that You Suffer isn’t included because that’s one song you’re guaranteed to hear if you ever see Napalm Death live. I will say one thing, that album cover is pretty awesome.
Best Song: N/A
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Fear, Emptiness, Despair
Released on May 31st, 1994
Label: Earache/Columbia

Line-up:
Unchanged, but Shane Embury is also credited with “random guitar noise”

1. Twist the Knife (Slowly)
2. Hung
3. Remain Nameless
4. Plague Rages
5. More than Meets the Eye
6. Primed Time
7. State of Mind
8. Armageddon X 7
9. Retching on the Dirt
10. Fasting on Deception
11. Throwaway
12. Truth Drug (Bonus Track)
13. Living in Denial (Bonus Track)

Another stylistic change for the band. They still have the real knuckle-dragging death metal style on this album but the production is way better. And there is a little bit of experimentation with sounds (that random guitar noise Shane Embury is credited with). My earliest memories of Napalm Death are from this album. I can remember the video of Plague Rages and the scene of Barney hitting himself in the heard during the first verse (during the "Am I right or wrong, or just insane" line). Whenever I hear that song to this day that shot jumps into my head. It’s classic. People say that Napalm Death entered a more industrial, Godflesh-ear with this album and I have no idea what they’re talking about. There’s nothing industrial and there’s nothing Godflesh about it. It’s just primal death metal with better production. People also always say how much Fear Factory’s first album sounds like Napalm Death, specifically this album. I find that funny, since this album came out two years after Fear Factory’s first album. And earlier Napalm Death (the stuff before this) sounds NOTHING like Fear Factory. They were somehow distributed by/signed to Columbia Records (home of Mariah Carey and a bunch of other crap) at this time, in a move I'm sure Columbia regretted before they went out of business. I think there was a whole Earache-Columbia deal because Entombed and Carcass had albums with the "Columbia" name on them as well. But with Columbia came a bigger budget for the video from Plague Rages and Twist the Knife (Slowly) somehow ended up on the soundtrack for the first Mortal Kombat movie. This is a good album but it ranks lower on the overall scale of Napalm Death.
Best Song: Plague Rages
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-16-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 PM

Greed Killing EP
Released in December 1995
Label: Earache

Line-up:
Unchanged

1. Greed Killing
2. My Own Worst Enemy
3. Self Betrayal
4. Finer Truths, White Lies
5. Antibody
6. All Links Severed
7. Plague Rages (live)

Greed Killing is such a great song. I'd say it's Napalm Deaths most accessible, radio-friendly song. If you don’t like the Diatribes album you won’t like this, since it has two songs from that album and four more that were recorded at the same time and could’ve been on it. I like Diatribes but the songs on here that weren’t on Diatribes are worse than anything on that album. They just lack the character that album had. I didn’t count the Diatribes songs when picking a favorite song though, to be fair to the unreleased songs. There’s a boxed set out now that includes this EP, the Diatribes album and Bootlegged in Japan, all for one low price. I’d get that if you’re interested in this or either of the other albums and don’t have any of them. I’m such a great salesman.
Best Song: Self Betrayal
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 06-16-2013, 06:20 PM

Diatribes
Released on January 30th, 1996

Line-up:
Unchanged, but Shane Embury is credited with “backing vocals”

1. Greed Killing
2. Glimpse into Genocide
3. Ripe for the Breaking
4. Cursed to Crawl
5. Cold Forgiveness
6. My Own Worst Enemy
7. Just Rewards
8. Dogma
9. Take the Strain
10. Diatribes
11. Placate, Sedate, Eradicate
12. Corrosive Elements
13. Food Chain (Bonus included with the Cursed to Tour split w/At the Gates)
14. Politics of Common Sense (Bonus included with the Cursed to Tour split w/At the Gates)

This is very similar to the previous album production-wise but has a bit more experimenting going on in songs like Cursed To Crawl and Cold Forgiveness and a lot more hardcore elements in the guitar-work. The vocals go in different directions for Napalm Death rather than the standard gutteral growl. You get your first taste of Barney's "singing" (ahem) on this album. It gets forgotten a lot but it’s actually a really strong album. If you like current Napalm Death and are thinking of going backwards to check out some of their older stuff I'd recommend this. There’s really not a bad song on this album. It was probably the third or forth Napalm Death album I ever got. i used to always think that was a dinosaur-alien hybrid on the cover until I actually looked at it.
Favorite Song: Glimpse Into Genocide
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-19-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Everybody likes a little different Napalm and there is nothing wrong w/ that at all. My personal preferences for Napalm is more Scum through Harmony. Personally I was a really big fan of Harmony, although I understand how others who loved their more grind/shorter songs from pre-Harmony wouldn't care as much for it.

I really can't get into a whole lot of their 90s material after Harmony. I will usually find a song or 2 from different albums, but as a whole they just don't do as much for me personally.

And then from The Code is Red up until present day is just as enjoyable as the Scum to Harmony era is as good as anything they did in the 80s (albeit quite different). This might just encourage me to try and revisit some of those 90s albums though. Even not as good Napalm is still better than a lot though.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Everybody likes a little different Napalm and there is nothing wrong w/ that at all. My personal preferences for Napalm is more Scum through Harmony. Personally I was a really big fan of Harmony, although I understand how others who loved their more grind/shorter songs from pre-Harmony wouldn't care as much for it.

I really can't get into a whole lot of their 90s material after Harmony. I will usually find a song or 2 from different albums, but as a whole they just don't do as much for me personally.

And then from The Code is Red up until present day is just as enjoyable as the Scum to Harmony era is as good as anything they did in the 80s (albeit quite different). This might just encourage me to try and revisit some of those 90s albums though. Even not as good Napalm is still better than a lot though.
Agreed about the 1990's material. There's usually one or two standout AWESOME songs per album then a bunch of other songs that are good, but blur by.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM

In Tongues We Speak (split w/Coalesce)
Released in 1997

Line-up:
Unchanged

1. Food Chains
2. A Safe Place (Coalesce)
3. Upward and Uninterested (demo version)
4. Harvest of Maturity (Coalesce)

This EP is pretty skippable. Food Chains appeared as a bonus track on Diatribes as Food Chain; same song, no “s”. And Upward and Uninterested was on the Utopia Banished album. What with it being a demo it has some pretty good, raw production. The Coalesce songs are okay but this thread isn’t about them.
Best Song: Upward and Uninterested (demo version)
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Inside the Torn Apart
Released on June 3rd, 1997

Line-up:
Unchanged but Mitch Harris and Shane Embury are credited with “backing vocals”

1. Breed to Breathe
2. Birth in Regress
3. Section
4. Reflect on Conflict
5. Down in the Zero
6. Inside the Torn Apart
7. If Symptoms Persist
8. Prelude
9. Indispose
10. Purist Realist
11. Lowpoint
12. The Lifeless Alarm
13. Time Will Come (Bonus Track)
14. Bled Dry (Bonus Track)

In a post a few days ago me and someone else were going on about how some Napalm Death albums have one or two standout songs and then a bunch of other tracks. This is one of those albums. Breed to Breathe is one of Napalm Death’s simplest and catchiest songs. I’d say if you had no idea where to start with Napalm Death that may be the song, because it only gets uglier and rougher from there. They obviously ran out of money when they were making the video for that song, because it's back to the cheesy live footage where Barney appears to be singing a different song. I hear elements of the Napalm Death of today on this album, just intermixed with the cold production of their 1990s albums. It’s good, not as good as Diatribes but one of their stronger 1990’s releases. If you’re ever wondering why a lot of copies of this album have a sticker that reads “Barney’s Back!” on them Barney actually left the band in 1996 and was replaced with Phil Vane of Extreme Noise Terror. But Vane left Napalm Death just before the recording of this album and Barney returned, not after recording an album called Damage 381 with…Extreme Noise Terror? The drama. I’ve only heard bits of that album but it sounds pretty cool.
Best Song: the Lifeless Alarm
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Breed to Breathe EP
Released on November 17th, 1997

Line-up:
Unchanged but Mitch Harris is credited with “backing vocals”

1. Breed to Breathe
2. All Intensive Purposes
3. Stranger Now
4. Bled Dry
5. Time Will Come
6. Greed Killing (performed by Impending Doom, Bonus Track on the European release)
7. Suffer the Children (performed by Fatality, Bonus Track on the US release)

This is just a companion piece to the Inside the Torn Apart album. Some of the bonus songs appeared on that album, some are only here but they all flow in with the style of that album. If you liked that album there’s no reason not to get this, except the bonus tracks all appear on the Noise For Music’s Sake compilation anyway. I’ve never heard the covers and I’m sure there’s nothing earth shattering about them. There's also an enhanced portion to this EP that has the video for Breed to Breathe, if the three times I've linked to it in the last ten minutes aren't enough for you. For all you young kids, enhanced CD's were the old style way of getting stuff (video footage, special audio clips) on your computer in the days before the internet was good. They sucked then and they're pointless now. I really do like the cover for this EP. The green looks way cooler than the red of Inside the Torn Apart.
Best Song: Breed to Breathe
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-21-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:43 PM

Bootlegged in Japan
Released on June 22nd, 1998

Line-up:
Unchanged

1. Antibody
2. My Own Worst Enemy
3. More Than Meets the Eye
4. Hung
5. Greed Killing
6. Suffer the Children
7. Mass Appeal Madness
8. Cursed to Crawl
9. Glimpse into Genocide
10. I Abstain
11. Lucid Fairytale
12. Plague Rages
13. Cold Forgiveness
14. Control
15. Diatribes
16. Life?
17. Siege of Power
18. If the Truth Be Known
19. Unchallenged Hate
20. Nazi Punks Fuck Off
21. From Enslavement to Obliteration
22. The Kill
23. Scum
24. Ripe for the Breaking

I don’t usually bother with live albums. But after hearing the few songs off this that are tacked onto a later Napalm Death studio album (Words from the Exit Wound) I just had to check this out. 1990’s Napalm Death, as I’ve said a lot before, has a bad habit of being a little bland. But live those songs turn into a whole other beast. Songs that I never paid too much attention to before are just wicked on this album. The only one that really doesn't do it for me is Cold Forgiveness. That song is one of those songs that just a cool album track. When I first heard Diatribes I knew that song really just wouldn't work live. And it doesn't. As the title says, this is a bootleg. The band actually came across copies of it floating around and thought it sounded so good that they decided to just release it for everybody. Am I glad they did. It’s got a wicked muddy, muffled sound to it. Barneys vocals are the highlight. He just sounds vicious. You can tell this is one hundred percent live. No overdubs, just straight from the soundboard. They didn’t even bother to liven up the crowd noise (Pantera). It sounds like there may have been fifty people at this show. After songs there’s barely a cheer. Which, in a way, is sad. I thought Japan was supposed to be this hotbed for grindcore. Here are the godfathers of grindcore playing to what sounds like an empty club. There are other songs I like from these years of Napalm Death better but the performance alone is worth your money. They sound really good and I got to hear a lot of songs I doubt I’d ever hear them play these days. I highly recommend this.
Favorite Song: Hung
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.