Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I saw them about 10 years old and I thought the performance is great.

I just don't like them enough anymore to ever justify the expense of a Metallica ticket. The cost has a tendency to be out of this world for me a 'pricey' show is around $40 and the $50+ ticket expenditures are only for my absolute favorite favorite bands and/or bands I'm very desperate to see and have only a limited opportunity to do so.

Imagining the sheer hype of being at a Metallica concert where they play Kill 'Em All is pretty awesome. But really you might have a just as fantastic, if not more so, night at a $15 show in a small club.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
One who onions things

I'd love to see Metallica one day, if only just to hear my favorite songs from the first four records live in person. They just keep charging too damn much for tickets every time they drop by though. Why go see Metallica at the Big 4 show in Indio when I could see Death Angel for $12? Or skip Outside Lands to see Agalloch for $18? It's literally stuff like that which will probably forever stop me from seeing them.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Let me preface this by saying that deep down, Metallica is probably my favourite band ever. If not that, they are certainly the most important band to me in terms of developing my musical tastes. So, let's just get the "oh this is a it's cool to hate Metallica thread" posts out of the way to begin with.

So my question is, do people (and by people I mean intelligent, discerning metal fans) actually enjoy a live Metallica show now? I look at all these posts about their setlists and sure, they can put together some truly awesome sets, but in my opinion they just can't bring it live anymore. I like Death Magnetic, and I saw Metallica tour for that album but I thought the show was awful. Hetfield has ruined his voice, Lars is probably the worst professional drummer out there, Hammett was never a great lead guitarist but he's still OK, and well, I'll be honest, Trujillo annoys the hell out of me. It just surprises me when I see people post "oh man, I'd be so stoked to see Kill 'Em All played in full!"... I'd be stoked if it were Metallica circa 1988 or so, but Metallica now? Give me a cover band instead.

Again, I'm not bashing Metallica just for the sake of it. I'm just genuinely surprised by how loved they still are by this community and would like to see an intelligent discussion about it.
I didn't read this entire thread, but wanted to give my opinion to your question. Yes, I agree with you that Metallica is no where near the same quality of live performance as they were between 89-97, however I still like watching their live performances. Honestly the thing that I dislike most about Metallica concerts now is the average age of the fans. Ever since about 2009 it seems as if the average age in the crowd is under 12. it's also interesting to note that 2009 is also the same year that Metallica Guitar Hero came out. Coincidence? Maybe... But I personally think Guitar Hero Metallica made Metallica more accessible to the 8-12 year old demographics, which basically ruins the entire event.

I went to the Big 4 concert in Palm Springs a couple years ago, and that event was alright. The Death Magnetic tour however was unbearable. Oh, and in Seattle for that tour they had a no alcohol policy! what kind of bullshit is that?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 AM
Long live Ronnie James Dio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
You bring up a great point about Metallica getting shit for detuning their old stuff but it doesn't seem to happen with any other band as much. A perfect example is Rush, they down tune anything they play from their first album all the way through to Presto and nobody gives them shit for it. Anybody seen Alice Cooper live lately? He's been down tuning his stuff from the 70s and 80s for years now. Nobody complains about that. Metallica gets shit for things like this while other bands don't simply because some fans can't forgive them for what the band became in the 90s. So, instead of growing up and moving on they bash them for any little thing they can find. It's fine that Testament tunes down all their old stuff because Chuck's voice doesn't have the range it used to but Metallica can't do that because they came out with The Black Album and became the biggest metal band ever. That's totally unforgivable to some people and no matter what, Metallica will always get shit when others don't because of how huge they are.
Pretty much this.

Testament has a horrible live sound, and has heavily edited their last live dvd. Anyone whined about it?

Shall I start a complain thread about Iron Maiden? They got so many "troo reactions" after they said that they will never play Glastonbury. One much read comment was "teh money is teh metallica. Lest we forget about their trooper beer, endless greatest hits albums & their privately owned plane, shall we?

2012 was my last time seeing Metallica and they sounded good, apart from a few fuckups (Lars) in the very beginning.

But after seeing who opened this thread, well, that's that. To each his or her own. Besides, I dislike these request sets because almost nothing from Load & Re-Load is played.

My album collection: http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10683&page=16

Last edited by MetalIsArt; 07-02-2014 at 04:53 AM.