Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, ON -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Saw them once.
January 18th, 2009 in Boston at the Garden.

Was at that show. Was a great one! Had a hellish "getting there" story maybe I'll tell sometime. Here are some vids I took w/ my old shitty cam :

....AJFA
BBS

03/08-Suffocation (?)
04/04-Kataklysm, Aborted (?)
04/05-Biohazard, Sworn Enemy (?)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

I've never been disappointed in the band except for St. Anger and that Lulu garbage which I still don't own and will only pick up for less than $1 at a garage sale. Oh, and that JaRule "collaboration". Apart from that, it's still a good live show with good surprises, hell I've seen Metal Militia, Call Of Ktulu, Jump In The Fire, Dyers Eve (twice), Phantom Lord, Damage Inc., Trapped Under Ice, and Orion to name a few, all since just 1999.

That said, I think they are going to run into a wall soon with the setlist...there's only so many full albums left they can play, althought whenever they do the Load/Reload thing...I'll be the first on line.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:45 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
First, I don't know that I would stick our community with an egregious love of Metallica. Iron Maiden, Yes. Metallica, I wouldn't go that far myself.

Metal fans have been shitting on Metallica since the early 90s. The band hasn't been what a lot of Back In The Day fans want it to be for almost twenty years. It's time to get over it. I would take Metallica over a cover band (careful, your colors are showing with comments like that) any time. There are far better musicians out there but there are a multitude much worse. Speaking from the last times I saw Metallica in 2004 (almost ten years ago to be fair), their stage show was worth the money. I loved the live post-concert 'boot' on their web site. Fun times.

My primary Metallica playlist is called Metallica Schmetallica (showing my own colors). It opens with Ecstasy Of Gold ( a 3:26 version from a soundtrack album) and continues with the studio albums in order ( from Kill 'Em All to Death Magnetic) with Garage Inc and S&M inserted into between Reload and St Anger. I listen to it mainly on shuffle and generally really enjoy it.. but then again, I also don't listen to it very often.

I haven't considered Metallica relevant for a very long time. The band puts an album every five years or so, and the lack of passion in the work is right there for everyone to hear. Most of their music isn't bad, it's not just great. I care about their next album as much as Metallica seems to care about it... not much. Personally, I'm over 'Metallica' and just enjoy their music for what it is.
I know that this community is one that lives and dies with Iron Maiden, but Maiden still brings it live. Metallica doesn't yet I always see a bunch of posts praising their setlists, performances, etc. I'm not sure what colors I'm showing with the cover band comment. Metallica is a shadow of the band they used to be. I'd rather see a band who can do justice to the great material they're playing.

As for the studio albums, that has no bearing on this. I still listen to their classic stuff regularly. Not every week or even every month, but often enough and I still enjoy the hell out of them. The issue is not their studio recordings --I even enjoy a good deal of the Loads too -- it's the way they represent that studio material live nowadays. But I agree with you in one sense; Metallica is not relevant to the metal community. I don't look forward to their next album. I won't buy it. I'll listen to it, probably enjoy it on some level, but they don't matter anymore.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Director, Set List Intelligence

When someone opens a thread about intelligent discussion but goes into hyperbole (cover band over the real deal), my first reaction is "trolling". Not fair on my part.

Some of the disconnect may lie in considering the totality of Metallica's stage show versus the specifics of individual performances.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Concert Veteran

The last time I saw them was in 2009 and I enjoyed the show very much. Yeah, Hetfield's voice isn't what it used to be but the energy and intensity their music has live is still there. In fact, the show I saw in 2009 was the most energetic I saw Metallica play since back when I saw them in 1992 and 1994. I've seen them six times and have never been disappointed in their performances. The only time anything they did live bothered me was on the Reload tour when they played acoustic versions of The Four Horsemen and Last Caress. Now that was more embarrassing to witness then listening to St. Anger. Overall, I think their shows are still great and when they announce the next tour I will go to what ever date is closest to me like I usually do for them.

Maybe i'm biased because they are one of those bands I grew up with and have been a huge part of my life. Or maybe it's because without them there's a very good chance I would have never gotten into metal. All I know is I've yet to witness a bad show from them and will continue to see them live. Even if I do eventually see a bad performance from them, it won't be enough to erase the good ones I've seen and it won't prevent me from going to see them the next time they come around.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Aren't there a lot of older bands that don't have the voice that they used to and other older bands that detune as a result of that? Yet it seems like the band that gets brought up most other times (Ozzy/Sabbath excluded for obvious reasons) would be Metallica. Is it just because they are pretty much the most notable and successful metal band going and the target on them is just that much bigger? Is it from the hostility that most still have for some of the more recent releases (St. Anger & Lulu) and its just easier to trash them?

Having seen videos of live stuff from Black Album and before I'd definitely agree they don't seem to have the fire and anger onstage like they used to, don't think anybody would deny that. But honestly, when you are rich enough where you can almost print your own $ type of rich, then yea I'm not surprised. Everybody's in their 50s now and could retire now and live off of whatever $ they had before, how can you really come out on stage looking pissed off and angry and not come off phony?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300%_Density View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate here...

Aren't there a lot of older bands that don't have the voice that they used to and other older bands that detune as a result of that? Yet it seems like the band that gets brought up most other times (Ozzy/Sabbath excluded for obvious reasons) would be Metallica. Is it just because they are pretty much the most notable and successful metal band going and the target on them is just that much bigger? Is it from the hostility that most still have for some of the more recent releases (St. Anger & Lulu) and its just easier to trash them?
You bring up a great point about Metallica getting shit for detuning their old stuff but it doesn't seem to happen with any other band as much. A perfect example is Rush, they down tune anything they play from their first album all the way through to Presto and nobody gives them shit for it. Anybody seen Alice Cooper live lately? He's been down tuning his stuff from the 70s and 80s for years now. Nobody complains about that. Metallica gets shit for things like this while other bands don't simply because some fans can't forgive them for what the band became in the 90s. So, instead of growing up and moving on they bash them for any little thing they can find. It's fine that Testament tunes down all their old stuff because Chuck's voice doesn't have the range it used to but Metallica can't do that because they came out with The Black Album and became the biggest metal band ever. That's totally unforgivable to some people and no matter what, Metallica will always get shit when others don't because of how huge they are.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I don't hate Metallica, but I may never go to see them live. I'm sure I would enjoy them, but not enough to justify paying all the money it would take to see them. There are very few bands I would pay over $50 to see these days. As cool as legendary acts are, they are (IMO) not exponentially better than smaller bands to th point where I need to pay exponentially more money to see them (except Maiden, I will pay big bucks to see them someday). These days, a passionate performance is better for me than a huge stage production. And I just tend to have more fun at smaller shows. IDK, maybe cause Metallica was never one of my favorite bands, my desire to see them isn't as strong as others.
6/15 Mutilation Rites
Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
We're dying on the inside

Saw them consecutive nights at last year's Orion Fest and thought they were great. Not great for 2013, not great even though James can't sing, not great but the setlist was weak...just GREAT. Maybe they put more into it because it was their own festival, but I can't imagine anyone in that field walked away disappointed either night.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM
One who onions things

It's worth noting that James' voice seemed to become much stronger in the last year or so. I think it may be due to the less frequent gigs, James seems to be the kind of singer that gets worse over the course of a long tour.

I agree with DethMaiden, the footage from last year's Orion was great to watch. I only just wish Lars knew how to use a china cymbal.
Neurosis/Bl'ast!/YOB (???) 12/29