Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 06-09-2013, 07:00 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

A Question About Metallica

Let me preface this by saying that deep down, Metallica is probably my favourite band ever. If not that, they are certainly the most important band to me in terms of developing my musical tastes. So, let's just get the "oh this is a it's cool to hate Metallica thread" posts out of the way to begin with.

So my question is, do people (and by people I mean intelligent, discerning metal fans) actually enjoy a live Metallica show now? I look at all these posts about their setlists and sure, they can put together some truly awesome sets, but in my opinion they just can't bring it live anymore. I like Death Magnetic, and I saw Metallica tour for that album but I thought the show was awful. Hetfield has ruined his voice, Lars is probably the worst professional drummer out there, Hammett was never a great lead guitarist but he's still OK, and well, I'll be honest, Trujillo annoys the hell out of me. It just surprises me when I see people post "oh man, I'd be so stoked to see Kill 'Em All played in full!"... I'd be stoked if it were Metallica circa 1988 or so, but Metallica now? Give me a cover band instead.

Again, I'm not bashing Metallica just for the sake of it. I'm just genuinely surprised by how loved they still are by this community and would like to see an intelligent discussion about it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

you nailed it imho.

I saw them on every tour they did since Master Of Puppets (some more then once) and you can't even compared what they were to what they are now. I would say that they completelly lost it right after the long tour for the black album. You are absolutely right about Jaymz voice and Lars drumming. Both are terrible now. I still enjoy Kirk ... and Robert.. well I just really don't care about the band since he joined so I can't really say much about him.

The thing is, for me, that they have lost so much anger and hunger live since the black album era. When you go to a metal concert you want to have your ass kicked, not scream ''hey baby'' or ''or does it feel to be alive'' ...

This was the Metallica I grew up with (I saw that show 2 days before in Montreal btw): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6e-mHddnk look at how much Jaymz want's to fucking tear the place down as opposed to now...the attitute man, they lost a big part of that too

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Last edited by PowerMaiden; 06-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Altars of Radness

I get why '80s fans wouldn't want to see them today and why some newer fans just don't care about ever seeing them, but for a lot of people it's just fun to see one of their favorite bands on stage playing some of their favorite songs, even if they are a shadow of their former selves. That's how I feel about a lot of the bands I enjoy. I wasn't around to experience the '80s, so I'm happy to take what I can get.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Metallica usually bring good supports over this neck of the woods (Tenacious D in 08, Mastodon, AiC and Avenged Sevenfold in '09) and play big outdoor shows, so for me, I enjoy being in a field with a load of other metal fans of all ages, having a beer or two, and listening to some good tunes for the evening. Metallica are a sham live, but I enjoy hearing the classic stuff live and having a sing along. It's nice not to be stuck in a 1,000 person or below club for a show too, and because it's Metallica, everyone and their dad comes out of the woodwork, so it's a good chance to meet and catch up with old friends from around the country too.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Since I haven't seen them their sets full of nothing but the "overplayed" hits is perfect for me.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
So my question is, do people (and by people I mean intelligent, discerning metal fans) actually enjoy a live Metallica show now? I look at all these posts about their setlists and sure, they can put together some truly awesome sets, but in my opinion they just can't bring it live anymore. I like Death Magnetic, and I saw Metallica tour for that album but I thought the show was awful. Hetfield has ruined his voice, Lars is probably the worst professional drummer out there, Hammett was never a great lead guitarist but he's still OK, and well, I'll be honest, Trujillo annoys the hell out of me. It just surprises me when I see people post "oh man, I'd be so stoked to see Kill 'Em All played in full!"... I'd be stoked if it were Metallica circa 1988 or so, but Metallica now? Give me a cover band instead.
You bring a very interesting point up. A setlist can look sweet as the dickens but if they have to detune/can't play it anymore then they can't hack it anymore.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I've only seen them once, back in 2009, but I enjoyed them.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
The cameras are whores for the daily bloodshed.

Metallica is my favorite band, so obviously I'm partial. I agree they're not as sharp as they were years ago, but I still love to see them live, and will do so every chance I get. They have fun on stage, they're always changing up the setlist, and above all, the nostalgia factor. Most Metallica albums bring great memories.

12/07: Slipknot/Korn (?)
12/13: Despised Icon (?)
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

First, I don't know that I would stick our community with an egregious love of Metallica. Iron Maiden, Yes. Metallica, I wouldn't go that far myself.

Metal fans have been shitting on Metallica since the early 90s. The band hasn't been what a lot of Back In The Day fans want it to be for almost twenty years. It's time to get over it. I would take Metallica over a cover band (careful, your colors are showing with comments like that) any time. There are far better musicians out there but there are a multitude much worse. Speaking from the last times I saw Metallica in 2004 (almost ten years ago to be fair), their stage show was worth the money. I loved the live post-concert 'boot' on their web site. Fun times.

My primary Metallica playlist is called Metallica Schmetallica (showing my own colors). It opens with Ecstasy Of Gold ( a 3:26 version from a soundtrack album) and continues with the studio albums in order ( from Kill 'Em All to Death Magnetic) with Garage Inc and S&M inserted into between Reload and St Anger. I listen to it mainly on shuffle and generally really enjoy it.. but then again, I also don't listen to it very often.

I haven't considered Metallica relevant for a very long time. The band puts an album every five years or so, and the lack of passion in the work is right there for everyone to hear. Most of their music isn't bad, it's not just great. I care about their next album as much as Metallica seems to care about it... not much. Personally, I'm over 'Metallica' and just enjoy their music for what it is.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 06-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Dave Meniketti is God.

Saw them once.
January 18th, 2009 in Boston at the Garden.

My gripes were the following....

1. I cannot fucking stand center stage shows. I understand that it allows all the seats to be used and it allows for a thousand or so more people to buy tickets, but I don't like it when only one member of the band is facing you at any given time.

2. On my particular show, the setlist wasn't that great. Even though we got 3 AJFA tracks, they played over half of Death Magnetic and the only Ride The Lightning appearance was For Whom The Bell Tolls. I wasn't surprised they didn't do Ride The Lightning but I was bullshit that they didn't do Fade To Black. That should be a mandatory song at every Metallica show.

3. You think Kirk abuses wah on record? You ain't seen shit until you've seen him live.

My pros were the following.....

1. I never expect great sound when 1) I'm dealing with a massive band & 2) the show is in any venue that holds over 10,000 people. I was proven wrong on this night. While loud as fuck, it was a very clear loud.

2. The ticket prices for arguably the biggest band on the planet were very reasonable. Face value for my ticket was 62 bucks and I had seats in the Club section (just above the loge, but the seats are leather & people bring you shit all night instead of going back & forth to the concession stand).

3. The openers were great. (Machine Head & The Sword)

That's about all I remember from the night seeing as almost 4.5 years has gone by since I've seen them. That being said, if they came back again anytime soon, I'd only go if the setlist got a major overhaul.