Head Wound City -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 21st, 2014
After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Old 06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Ninja Gaiden Series (NES, 1988-1991)

I guess this isn't an album but it's nevertheless some of my favorite music of all time. Aside from the Beatles I can't think of anything I've listened to longer in my life than this. It was a couple of years before even Final Fantasy or Nirvana. If you were a kid in the early 1990’s you probably thought ninjas were pretty fucking cool. And you probably had Nintendo. So these games were the shit. I loved ninjas, and I had Nintendo, but when my friend Fred first rented Ninja Gaiden II I was more interested in the music. Basic to the core MIDI music but good programmers back in those days could still convey tons of feelings out of it to set the mood perfectly. I played Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3 and all I remember from that game was Rachel. But I’ve known the music from these three games, when they occur and what’s going on when they’re playing for twenty years. The first one is probably the best of all three, despite the second game being my favorite. And the third I don’t remember too much, but it wasn’t as bad a game as people will tell you. As long as you had Game Genie.
Favorite Song (Ninja Gaiden): Mines, Act 4-2
Favorite Song (Ninja Gaiden II: the Dark Sword of Chaos): The Parasprinter, Act 3-2
Favorite Song (Ninja Gaiden III: the Ancient Ship of Doom): Lava Caverns, Act 2-2
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM

It's funny, after I did the last post I noticed the tag line on Ninja Gaiden II read "Hard to Beat". That was the only one of the three that I could get to the final boss in. I couldn't beat him but I got there. I can't remember how far I could get in the first and I still remember only being able to get to Act 3-2 of the third. Of course, Game Genie fixed all that.
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 07-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 PM

I love mid-1990's Scandinavian black metal, tonight I'm posting some of my favorites from that genre.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 PM

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (1997)

My first black metal album almost didnít happen. Iíll admit that when I first saw the epic video for the Loss and Curse of Reverence I was like ďwhat the fuck is this, all I hear is keyboards, bass drum and something resembling vocalsĒ. I may have even laughed at it because I was young, dumb as fuck and just not ready for music like this. But after it was done it stuck with me for a year. It was in my head and when I ended up at a music store a year or so later I went straight for Emperor. I couldnít even remember the name of the song so of all their albums I grabbed this one and kept my fingers crossed. I listened to the album wondering if Iíd come across ďthat songĒ but after the first couple of songs it didnít matter, this album RULED! By the time I got to the Loss and Curse of Reverence I was already sold on Emperor. We just drank and listened to this album at maximum volume in out college dorm, and everyone loved us for it. Most of Emperors other material is essential too (In the Nightside Eclipse) but this was their peak. And I consider the Loss and Curse of Reverence to be the greatest music video of all-time. Fuck you Tool!
Favorite Song: the Loss and Curse of Reverence
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 AM

Dissection Ė Storm of the Lightís Bane (1995)

I donít really have a wicked story or memory associated with this album. I first heard it in college in late 1999 but that was an average drunken night. I probably got beaten up a little later on in the evening and I probably deserved it. All I have to say about Dissection is I really am not a fan of what Iíve read about Jon NŲdtveidt, his beliefs and his actions. I look past all that and just appreciate the fact that they put out two really wicked albums in the early 1990ís, this one being the better of the two. If you consider yourself a fan of black or death metal and havenít heard this you best click on the link below.
Favorite Song: Where Dead Angels Lie
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 AM

Ulver
Bergtatt (1995)

Kveldssanger (1996)

Nattens Madrigal (1997)

Ulver released three essential 1990’s Scandinavian black metal albums in my opinion. The three could not be anymore different from one another yet all encompass an essential thread of black metal. The first (and my personal favorite of the three) Bergtatt is just a beautifully crafted and thought out album. The melodies are strong, the vocals are haunting and the mood perfectly grim. It’s a perfect album except for the fact that it’s just over a half an hour long. Way too short. The follow-up Kveldssanger was a total curveball: all acoustic, Gregorian folk music. Despite the stylistic change it still has the same overall feeling of their first album. It can get a little old after awhile though, I prefer listening to songs from it on random on iTunes. Then they went in the complete opposite direction again with Nattens Madrigal. They went from a soothing acoustic album to the harshest black metal album I’ve ever heard. There are bands out there with shitty production (Darkthrone), angry riffs (Inquisition) and disgusting moods (Watain) but this album tops anything any of those bands ever did. The stories behind this album are abundant and we’ll never get the real truth. But as it is this is the harshest black metal ever recorded and it has to be heard to be believed. Then after these three albums Ulver ceased to be black metal and went on to dark ambient music leaving us with this epic trilogy.
Favorite Song (Bergtatt): Capitel V: Bergtatt - Ind I Fjeldkamrene
Favorite Song (Kveldssanger): Halling
Favorite Song (Nattens Madrigal): Hymne VI: Of Wolf and Passion
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
N00B

Yes yes and yes. Those are some great albums.

I don't listen to Nattens Madrigal too often due to the terrible production but damn does it have some great riffs.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 06-10-2013, 12:27 AM

Weezer (1994)

In 1994 this album just floored everyone. I donít know one person from my high school who didnít love Buddy Holly and the ones that bought the album found out that the band had nine other songs that were even better. This is the perfect pop-rock album. Catchy as hell with some awesome riffs and wicked harmonies. I personally loved the distorted bass that also drove this album from not only being catchy but also really fucking heavy. 1994 was a great fucking year.
Favorite Song: No One Else
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-10-2013, 12:30 AM

Skinless Ė Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (2006)

This is another death metal album that isnít overly complex but is so awesome because the songs are memorable. It has some of the fattest riffs in death metal, some of the best samples and (the highlight) some of the sickest vocals out there from Jason Keyser, in his one appearance with the band. I love that his vocals are a little lower in the mix. It gives the album a really raw feeling despite the fact that itís really well produced. Iíve heard heís in Origin now so itíll be cool to hear what they come up with if they ever record with him. The seven original songs on here are just fucking awesome. Itís got the perfect length of almost a half hour. The only thing that kills the album a bit is the cover of Black Sabbaths Wicked World thatís tacked on at the end. It's good but sounds really out of place.
Favorite Song: A Unilateral Disgust
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 AM

the Prodigy Ė Experience (1992)

Dance/electronica/techno is another genre that Iím really not all that in to but I know a good album when I hear it. This album has some pretty decent beats but my favorite parts are the vocals and samples. I donít listen to this music too often so vocals that are pitch shifted up is something alien to me. Iíve heard vocals pitch shifted down a million times in metal music and when the vocals are pitch shifted up in metal it usually ends up sounding terrible (see the review of Old Lady Drivers a few weeks ago). In this music I canít imagine anything else. Their follow up has better songs (including one with one of the greatest music videos ever) but it has some really bad ones too. This album is more consistent so therefore itís better.
Favorite Song: Music Reach 1/2/3/4
11/30 - Devin Townsend