Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Neurosis -- Tucson, AZ -- October 18th, 2014
The Empty Hearts -- Cranston, RI -- October 19th, 2014
King Diamond -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 18th, 2014
Satan -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 17th, 2014
Deicide -- Kansas City, MO -- October 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Primus -- Maplewood, MN -- June 1st, 2013

Here I was so excited to finally see the one and only Primus in concert after all this time! Not only was I finally seeing them, but it was also just them doing an extra long set so I thought for sure I would be getting my $40 worth. Another interesting thing was this was being billed as a 3D tour and upon entering the venue, 3D glasses were being given out so I thought that would be pretty cool to see some stuff in the third dimension. After waiting for what seemed like forever, the lights finally went down and their intro started. The band came onto the stage and the first song started up. However, something was a bit different. The band wasn't lit up at all and on the screen a video played with some neat 3D animation. I thought that was pretty sweet looking and the band sounded amazing too. The first song ended and the second one started up, however the band stayed completely unlit up and another 3D video played. I though OK, this is pretty cool still, but let me see the band perform as well. Well, the third song came on and it was the exact same thing! I thought to myself, "are they going to do this during the entire concert? Surely the band is going to let the audience actually see them and not keep them in the dark for the entire concert." Boy, was I wrong about that! For EVERY single song, a 3D video played and the band remained completely in the dark! I was in total shock about it when the intermission came on. I thought maybe during the second half of the show the band would light themselves up and back off on the videos. Nope! Just more of the same until the concert finally ended. I was quite upset about all of this. When I pay that much to see a band in concert, I want to see the band perform, not 2 hours worth of music videos. And that's literally what it was. The band might as well not even been on the stage. Also much to my surprise, the audience completely loved it. They erupted with cheers after every song. I sure wish I would have checked out some footage of this before spending that much money. My chance to finally see one of my most favorite bands and I didn't even see them! Well, at least I heard them.

Set 1:
To Defy the Laws of Tradition
Fisticuffs
Moron TV
American Life
Over the Falls
Lee Van Cleef
Tragedy's a' Comin'
Mrs. Blaileen
My Name Is Mud

Set 2:
The Heckler
Seas of Cheese
Jilly's on Smack
Mr. Krinkle
Drum Solo
Eleven
Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
Groundhog's Day
Harold of the Rocks

Encore:
HOINFODAMAN
Too Many Puppies
Old 06-02-2013, 04:46 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Yeah, that sounds like it would've sucked a bit. Watching Les Claypool live is better than the music sometimes. The guys a freak. As far as being surprised that the crowd was eating it up; you have to remember that most of them were probably on a lot of opiates, etc.

And the set isn't very good IMO, I have seen a lot better by them in the past. Where the FUCK is Tommy the Cat, Southbound Pachyderm and Jerry Was a Racecar Driver?

Trust me, go see Primus when it's not some gimmick show and you will be impressed.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM

I saw them twice last fall on the same 3D tour and it was great.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Kind of reminds me when I saw Immortal that they was way too much dry ice.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Same with Marduk.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I've seen some things, man. And some stuff. I wouldn't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Same with Sunn O)))
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
One who onions things

I saw these dudes in Oakland on New Years two years ago. Les and his solo band were the main support funnily enough. It was a cool show, but I came out slightly mindfucked.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
Same with Sunn O)))
Now when I "saw" them last fall I not once saw a single band member the entire show. I checked out videos for this Primus show and you can get Les and crew fine, nothing like Sunn.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Professor Nutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
And the set isn't very good IMO, I have seen a lot better by them in the past. Where the FUCK is Tommy the Cat, Southbound Pachyderm and Jerry Was a Racecar Driver?
all three of those were played in chicago last night. i could live without seeing tommy and jerry at shows, but have seen Primus and Les solo over 20 times.
as for the lighting, Les shows have always been pretty dim lit, mostly blues colors. i have always been close enough that it is not an issue, so i do not know what it is like from further back.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorvatin View Post
all three of those were played in chicago last night. i could live without seeing tommy and jerry at shows, but have seen Primus and Les solo over 20 times.
as for the lighting, Les shows have always been pretty dim lit, mostly blues colors. i have always been close enough that it is not an issue, so i do not know what it is like from further back.
I'm with you but I'm thinking from the perspective of the original poster. At your first Primus show you'd want to see those songs. And at my one hundredth Primus show I'd want to see Southbound Pachyderm.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Tags
primus