Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

  #141  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
ravenheart's Avatar
ravenheart ravenheart is offline
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: England
Posts: 18,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. When have you ever heard of the promotional version of something deliberately being made worse?
Not quite the same thing, but before they hit upon watermarked mp3s, many labels used to put bleeps or voice-overs every couple of minutes in all the songs on promo CDs.
__________________
www.jukeboxmetal.com
http://jukeboxmetal.blogspot.com

18/12 Kreator
7/2 Primordial
13/2 BLS
3/3 Sanctuary
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:01 AM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Cheese- No credits, I was only given a folder of MP3s. Funnily enough, we were actually sent a physical CD with the full booklet and everything for Frequency Unknown. No one ever does that these days. As for song credits. apparently Parker wrote Where Dreams Go to Die with help from Todd, and Michael wrote Redemption with lyrics from Todd. That info's all from The Breakdown Room, so basically you know just about as much as I do when it comes to the credits.

I actually think that Queensryche is extremely capable of cranking out a seriously badass metal album without Chris DeGarmo. However, the whole 'democratic songwriting' thing they've been bragging about is nice in theory, but in practice leads to scatterbrained material. If they were to stick Whip, Parker and Todd into a room and let them go bonkers, I think the results would be really stellar. Scott and Eddie are fantastic musicians, but I don't think that they're genuine lifelong metalheads like Todd and Whip are, and Parker would make sure they have some ambition with the record. Young musicians nearly always feel they have something to prove after all.
Ah, okay. That's pretty funny about FU. What a strange album and record label.

Maybe I'll agree with your point there, but I think QR would need a real producer. Someone to keep the ideas a little more focused, or like you said earlier, sort of refine the songs (like what "Redemption" needed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Not quite the same thing, but before they hit upon watermarked mp3s, many labels used to put bleeps or voice-overs every couple of minutes in all the songs on promo CDs.
Ah yeah, I wasn't thinking about those things. I guess I see those as on top of the final product. What I can't imagine is deliberately fucking up the actual mix. I mean the idea of a heavily compressed album to deter leaks is just strange. It'd be like someone not wanting you to know their pizza recipe, so they smother it in cheese.
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Jim, I think we know that whatever the final product out of QR camp ends up sounding like, it will DEFINITELY be smothered in cheese.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Derelict's Avatar
Derelict Derelict is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Jim, I think we know that whatever the final product out of QR camp ends up sounding like, it will DEFINITELY be smothered in cheese.
Ok let's shut this thread down, Brad just won.
__________________
12/30 CLUTCH
3/22 Enslaved
4/11 At the Gates
MDF
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Jim, I think we know that whatever the final product out of QR camp ends up sounding like, it will DEFINITELY be smothered in cheese.


__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:51 AM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,529
Hey Onioner, your "point of view" is being called into question over there. I wanted to put a good word in for you over there, because I feel like you've been excessively impartial regarding the QR situation, but if you're not happy with my paraphrasing of your opinion, let me know and I'll kill it.

I just don't like to see your (or anyone's) knowledge assaulted because of the unwelcome opinion it produces.
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 05-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Derelict's Avatar
Derelict Derelict is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Hey Onioner, your "point of view" is being called into question over there. I wanted to put a good word in for you over there, because I feel like you've been excessively impartial regarding the QR situation, but if you're not happy with my paraphrasing of your opinion, let me know and I'll kill it.

I just don't like to see your (or anyone's) knowledge assaulted because of the unwelcome opinion it produces.
Wow, that is some real kool aid drinking going on there.
__________________
12/30 CLUTCH
3/22 Enslaved
4/11 At the Gates
MDF
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Travis The Dragon's Avatar
Travis The Dragon Travis The Dragon is offline
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Hey Onioner, your "point of view" is being called into question over there. I wanted to put a good word in for you over there, because I feel like you've been excessively impartial regarding the QR situation, but if you're not happy with my paraphrasing of your opinion, let me know and I'll kill it.

I just don't like to see your (or anyone's) knowledge assaulted because of the unwelcome opinion it produces.
I did link to this thread here as well and Onioner is a member there as well so I knew there was a good chance he would see it. And that's great that you're a member there as well EvilCheese!
__________________
Website Designer and Product Promotions for LightUpFun.com
My concerts, future and past: fonzbear2000.blogspot.com

Last edited by Travis The Dragon; 05-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Onioner Onioner is offline
One who onions things
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Everywhere, CA
Posts: 2,197
Thanks for the support Cheese, I don't post there often at all, simply because I know the community here better and for a longer time and this is a smaller and more apathetic audience when it comes to QR stuff. I have no desire to ruin everyone's excitement and hopes for the album over there.

Fonz, yeah I know you're posting links to this thread everywhere. Honestly, do it all you want man, I stand by everything I've posted. If I was looking at it from their eyes though, I'd see it as inviting "board wars" or whatever (cheesy onion wars?).
__________________
Skeletonwitch/Ghoul - 9/23
Saviours/Hazzard's Cure - 9/28
Raven - 10/20
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
EvilCheeseWedge's Avatar
EvilCheeseWedge EvilCheeseWedge is offline
The Cheese
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Thanks for the support Cheese, I don't post there often at all, simply because I know the community here better and for a longer time and this is a smaller and more apathetic audience when it comes to QR stuff. I have no desire to ruin everyone's excitement and hopes for the album over there.

Fonz, yeah I know you're posting links to this thread everywhere. Honestly, do it all you want man, I stand by everything I've posted. If I was looking at it from their eyes though, I'd see it as inviting "board wars" or whatever (cheesy onion wars?).
Yeah, I hear you. That's why I'm saying more about QR over here as well. It's a little more loose here. I'm just not as excited about the new QR from what I've heard, and I don't want to come across as a dick to people who are pumped. My reply today there was a rare exception in those respects, I guess.

Anyways, I'll echo that second part as a mod here... There's nothing wrong with posting about us over there, that's fine (unless they have a problem with it.) But people here are very direct, and we are way more relaxed about rules. In other words, people can say shit here that probably won't fly over there, and I would hate for that to be interpreted as a board war or whatever. So let's at least be smart about posting stuff from here on other places?

Also a cheesy onion war? I can't think of a better tasting, worst smelling war
__________________
12/7 - Jon Oliva
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008