Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014
King Diamond -- Salt Lake City, UT -- October 26th, 2014
Raven -- San Francisco, CA -- October 27th, 2014

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM
N00B

Why would they have compression or bad sound on promo copies? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of promo copies?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
Also Onioner, could it be possible that the promo copies intentionally have compression or bad sound to prevent them from getting leaked?
That makes absolutely no sense. When have you ever heard of the promotional version of something deliberately being made worse? But anyways, the sonic complaints we have about this album have nothing to do with preventing leaks and everything to do with how the recordings were engineered, mixed, mastered, etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM
That Guy

I will probably write a short review of it. But kinda like my radio show. Not that many people here care much about it, so I keep it mainly to Facebook.

And SepticFlesh 13, I get 320K CD quality promos. Not leaks.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I will probably write a short review of it. But kinda like my radio show. Not that many people here care much about it, so I keep it mainly to Facebook.

And SepticFlesh 13, I get 320K CD quality demos. Not leaks.
I was responding to fonzbear's post about them releasing demos that sound intentionally bad. That doesn't make sense.

I also listened to the previews on Amazon and most of them sounded boring. I don't think it's the production.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzbear2000 View Post
So, you too are going to be one of the very lucky ones?

Also Onioner, could it be possible that the promo copies intentionally have compression or bad sound to prevent them from getting leaked?
No. Record companies want us to have the best sounding versions because we're the people doing writeups on the album. The Geoff Tate QR album is a good example- Cleopatra sent us the remixed version instead of the original mix because they wanted us to review the best sounding version of the album.

Honestly, the press and reviews are going to do nothing for the band unless the album's unanimously acclaimed, which I know it won't be. This album isn't an out of this world comeback, the metalheads that love The Warning and the EP aren't going to be convinced, and the mainstream fans that liked Silent Lucidity 20 years ago no longer give a shit. That just leaves the dedicated fans, and their minds are all firmly made up by now- my review, or anyone else's for that matter, isn't going to change their opinions. This could have been the album that resurrected their career, a Painkiller or a Blood of the Nations, but it just isn't. The songwriting just isn't strong enough, and it's all over the place IMO. It's like they're trying to appeal to metalheads, mainstream rock/pop fans and prog nerds all at the same time and are failing on all three fronts.

What's sad is that before I heard this album, I was convinced that Queensryche were going to have a legitimate comeback. The live shows have been stellar, Todd is an astounding singer and they're doing everything right when it comes to promotion and social media stuff. It's just a shame that they couldn't knock out an album that lived up to the promise.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 05-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM
The Cheese

The guys are really great musicians, but I think the current state of QR just makes it even clearer how important Chris DeGarmo was to the band creatively. As cynical as I am, I would really like to have been impressed by those two songs posted. I thought I would be, honestly. I consider Whip one of my favorite guitarists. I'm sure there will be some good moments on the album for me, especially with his guitar parts, but all that only matters so much without the songwriting.

Historically, the guys haven't written much music. I suspect even the songs they did mostly write still benefited from input (and probably even arrangement) by DeGarmo. Onioner, does your promo copy list the credits? I wouldn't ask you to post them or anything, just curious. I expect to see Parker & Todd on a lot of the songs. In and of itself, that's not a bad thing, but I somehow didn't expect them to be the songwriting saviors that QR needs. And in my view, the songwriting, more than any single other aspect is what has suffered the most in DeGarmo's absence.

But anyways, it's a moot point. Onioner nailed it - this album has already been reviewed by the dedicated, and it was going to rock their worlds no matter what it sounded like. And a lot of other people won't give a shit. I kind of wonder if this will be like Mindcrime II - a short burst of interest from the larger metal community that will fade away as people fail to hear the classic QR they were holding out hope for.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 05-23-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

I love the EP and Warning and Mindcrime is my most favorite album by them and I'm loving everything from the new album I've heard so far just as much as those albums. Also, judging from all the positive feedback on Blabbermouth, I think a lot of people are going to love this album and will feel much differently than the opinions on here. Only time will tell I guess.

Last edited by Travis The Dragon; 05-23-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM
One who onions things

Cheese- No credits, I was only given a folder of MP3s. Funnily enough, we were actually sent a physical CD with the full booklet and everything for Frequency Unknown. No one ever does that these days. As for song credits. apparently Parker wrote Where Dreams Go to Die with help from Todd, and Michael wrote Redemption with lyrics from Todd. That info's all from The Breakdown Room, so basically you know just about as much as I do when it comes to the credits.

I actually think that Queensryche is extremely capable of cranking out a seriously badass metal album without Chris DeGarmo. However, the whole 'democratic songwriting' thing they've been bragging about is nice in theory, but in practice leads to scatterbrained material. If they were to stick Whip, Parker and Todd into a room and let them go bonkers, I think the results would be really stellar. Scott and Eddie are fantastic musicians, but I don't think that they're genuine lifelong metalheads like Todd and Whip are, and Parker would make sure they have some ambition with the record. Young musicians nearly always feel they have something to prove after all.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Resident old fart

I'm no Tate fan, but "Taint," "Tatertot?" What the hell, are we all 12 here?
Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I will probably write a short review of it.
That'd be a novelty

29/10 Saint Vitus
10/11 Trouble
13/11 Judas Priest