Deep Purple -- Orlando, FL -- August 30th, 2014
Dropdead -- Scottsdale, AZ -- August 30th, 2014
Chevelle -- Wallingford, CT -- August 30th, 2014
Morbid Saint -- Riverview, MI -- August 30th, 2014
Third Eye Blind -- Royal Oak, MI -- August 30th, 2014

Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Special Bonus: adamclark52's LEAST Favorite Albums

Mike Patton – Adult Themes for Voice (1996)

I’m not sure when my love affair with Mike Patton and anything he touched started. I think it may have been in 1999 when I went full-on retard for Mr. Bungle. But I know when it ended. When I heard this album. It was some time in the early-2000’s. I was already underwhelmed by Tomahawks debut but still salivated whenever I heard Mike Patton was putting his voice on anything. I was like so many others who worshipped the ground he walked on and would pay money even for an album that was forty minutes of him farting into a microphone. This album is the closest you can get to that. I’ve never listened to the whole thing so there may well be a song that’s him farting into the mic. Most of what I made it through was just yelling and random vocal noises. No instruments, no beats, no structure. Like grindcore but without the good. I guess if you were into the most abstract avant-guard music out there and liked shooting heroin you may enjoy this. But I don’t do either of those things. It was after this I started looking at his music differently. I realized that everything he touched was not gold (see Fantomas ‘Suspended Animation’, the Peeping Tom album, the EP with the Dillinger Escape Plan). I think it’s all a joke though by Mike. He knows people would pay for an album of him farting in a microphone so he put one out to test if the theory was correct. And I paid thirty dollars for it. That fucking troll.
Worst Song: Inconsolable Widows In Search Of Distraction
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM

A Silver Mt. Zion – He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms... (2000)

Hands down the most depressing album I’ve ever heard. With Godspeed You! Black Emperor on hiatus for most of the 2000’s I was very happy when I discovered Silver Mt. Zion (or whatever variation of that name they’re going by on any given album) in late 2005. They’re pretty much a stripped down version of GY!BE with vocals. This album starts with a four part piece that builds very slowly for the first two parts (Broken Chords Can Sing a Little and Sit in the Middle of Three Galloping Dogs) before hitting its full on in the third part (Stumble Then Rise on Some Awkward Morning). The second part has some wicked samples. Then the fourth part (Movie (Never Made)) comes in with the vocals. And while that may throw some fans of GY!BE they’re pretty much what you’d expect from these guys: the saddest vocals you can imagine. Those first four songs take a little over twenty three minutes but just leave your jaw hanging open. If you're not ready to kill yourself after that the second half of the album will probably do it. 13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round the Side of Your Bed and Long March Rocket or Doomed Airliner (which is just the last seven seconds of the previous song fading out) are two haunting drones and For Wanda is probably the saddest song I’ve ever heard, especially when you read the story of the song and album. This is an album that you just put on, lay down in the middle of the floor and get lost in for an hour. Because even though it’s only forty seven minutes you’re going to lay there for a few minutes after it’s done and just reflect for a bit.
Favorite Song: 13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round the Side of Your Bed
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I realized that everything he touched was not gold (see Fantomas ‘Suspended Animation’, the Peeping Tom album, the EP with the Dillinger Escape Plan).

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Thems be fightin' words right there!!!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John The Drummer View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Thems be fightin' words right there!!!
The problem I had with that EP was rather than being "the Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton" it was "Mike Patton... with the Dillinger Escape Plan". Instead of complimenting them it became too much of a Mike Patton show. It was like they were just his backing band. But that's the problem with Mike Patton, he's usually at the forefront of anything he does. And it's usually justified because he's so good. Just in that case it wasn't working for me.

The Fantomas/Melvin's Big Band live album was another one where he was just too much in the forefront. So many Melvins songs got butchered on that album.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
The problem I had with that EP was rather than being "the Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton" it was "Mike Patton... with the Dillinger Escape Plan". Instead of complimenting them it became too much of a Mike Patton show. It was like they were just his backing band. But that's the problem with Mike Patton, he's usually at the forefront of anything he does. And it's usually justified because he's so good. Just in that case it wasn't working for me.

The Fantomas/Melvin's Big Band live album was another one where he was just too much in the forefront. So many Melvins songs got butchered on that album.
Fair enough. Personally, I do not like DEP at all, other then that one EP, only because of what Mike Patton did on it

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 PM

Bathory – Twilight of the Gods (1991)

I’m not too into the world of Viking metal. I’ve got everything by Enslaved but they just seemed to have Viking elements mixed in with mostly black metal. And Amon Amarth is just melodic death metal played by guys who look like Vikings. I think this album epitomizes what Viking metal is. Every song just has this epic feeling to it. Just listen to the choir in title track and tell me you didn’t fashion a spear out of one of your dads’ three hundred dollar pool cues. Even my three year old son, who spends most days bouncing off walls and jumping on my head, stops dead when he hears that choir and starts zombie walking. What makes this album so awesome is that the band (or just Quorthon I guess) wasn’t trying as hard as others these days do. The music seems really natural. Like this is music, this is what it’s supposed to sound like. I think he wasn’t setting out to making a Viking metal album. He was making an album and people took it upon themselves to categorize it as "Viking metal". What I love more than anything is Quorthons’ off-key vocals. Some people may wonder why there’s a singer on this album that can’t hold a tune but I think it adds so much charm to the music. Just listen to Under the Runes. The guy is way off key during the chorus but it really works. Those moments are all over the album and a lot of their other songs as well(One Rode to Asa Bay wasn't on this album but it's another prime example). I like that most of the black metal is gone from Bathory at this point too. The black metal sections were always really good but the production was always really crappy too. That’s another high point for this album; it sounds pretty much perfect for the band and the time. Cool cover too, Bathory albums always have wicked covers. A simple landscape my not seem too special these days but twenty years ago their weren't as many bands, so it was a really cool thing. I haven’t heard much Bathory but I really have to get around to it, because everything I’ve heard is pretty fantastic. And come on, there’s seven songs on this album and THREE have the word “blood” in the title. How Viking is that?
Favorite Song: Twilight of the Gods
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-24-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I always found Bathory to be really interesting. I don't have any of their albums but I dig their stuff when I hear it.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Rotting Christ - Κατά τον δαίμονα του εαυτού (2013)

My thoughts on this album haven't changed.
Favorite Song: In Yumen - Xibalba
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-24-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM

My Bloody Valentine Ė Loveless (1991)

Even though this album is NOT METAL itís probably one of the loudest albums Iíve ever heard. Thatís one hundred percent thanks to the wall of guitar Kevin Shields perfected on this album. The cover pretty much sums the album up, a guitar distorted and blurred to the point where youíre not even sure if what youíre listening to is a guitar. Iím no engineer but it sounds to me like there are at least five layers of guitar on any given track. And theyíre way up in the mix. I barely notice the drums and canít even make out the bass. On top of all that they have this totally unique effect on them that sounds like the quarter-inch reel-to-reel tape is breaking down, or theyíre wailing on their whammy bars the entire album. It wouldnít work on most albums but itís one of the coolest guitar sounds Iíve ever heard in my life. Thatís what sets this album apart from everything else. Without that guitar effect it would be a decent pop/rock album. That said; there are some wicked songs on here too.
Favorite Song: To Here Knows When
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
I always found Bathory to be really interesting. I don't have any of their albums but I dig their stuff when I hear it.
They're a very important band in the world of Scandinavian metal; Emperor covered them!
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend