Pearl Jam -- Milwaukee, WI -- October 20th, 2014
Fit For A King -- Detroit, MI -- October 21st, 2014
Judas Priest -- Kansas City, MO -- October 20th, 2014

Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Elevator to Hell– Parts 1-3 (1996)

I doubt anyone here has heard of this band. First off, they aren’t metal at all. More lo-fi, pop/rock with a lot of psychadelia later on. Secondly, they were from Moncton, New Brunswick. I doubt most people here have even heard of that place. See the cover, that's pretty much Moncton right there. From September to May. Third, they never got any press despite releasing a lot of music on Sub Pop Records (a fairly large indie label). It wasn’t so much a band at this point as one guy with a four track named Rick White. This was a collection of his/their earliest three EPs on one CD and has some great, catchy, worry-free music. The first eight songs make up Part 1; it’s more lo-fi, dreamy acoustic pop/rock. The next nine songs are Part 2 and it’s a bit more experimental, with a lot of drum machine and casio keyboard. The last ten songs are Part 3 and it’s more rock with a bit better production. All good, all retain this dreamy atmosphere, but Part 2 is a little weak. The problem I have with a lot of the songs is they all follow the same formula of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-end in total chaos. They could never end a song. And it gets to sound pretty similar after twenty seven songs and over an hour. Hearing the three EPs separate and different time would probably be better.
Favorite Song (Part 1): Rather Be
Favorite Song (Part 2): Elevator to Hell
Favorite Song (Part 3): Analysis 1313
My friend was playing the 13th Floor Elevators for me earlier and I thought of this thread... alas, wrong band But this is really cool; I added the full album to spotify. thanks man.

also, I've listened to Sonic Youth's entire discography, basically, and now I consider them one of my favorite bands You're right, goo, evol, sister, and daydream nation are clearly the best. But I also really dig the early noise stuff like Confusion is sex and Bad moon rising. Their later stuff is hit or miss... sonic nurse and a thousand leaves are pretty good. I also love washing machine.

Last edited by larvtard; 05-16-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Dirt is sweet and that story about Old Lady Drivers is fucking great. I just listened to that song, I can only imagine waiting 15 years for that shit.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
My friend was playing the 13th Floor Elevators for me earlier and I thought of this thread... alas, wrong band But this is really cool; I added the full album to spotify. thanks man.

also, I've listened to Sonic Youth's entire discography, basically, and now I consider them one of my favorite bands You're right, goo, evol, sister, and daydream nation are clearly the best. But I also really dig the early noise stuff like Confusion is sex and Bad moon rising. Their later stuff is hit or miss... sonic nurse and a thousand leaves are pretty good. I also love washing machine.
You've probably heard more Sonic Youth then me now. I've heard from EVOL thru Washing Machine plus a few songs from before and after. And the 'Silver Sessions for Jason Knuth', which is something for only the hardest of the hardcores.

Thousand Leaves will be the next one I get when the urge hits me. I'm going chronological from hear on, then I'll get the really old stuff later.

And that's Elevators main guy Rick White on the cover of that album. He's the stonedest of the the stoned.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-16-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
Dirt is sweet and that story about Old Lady Drivers is fucking great. I just listened to that song, I can only imagine waiting 15 years for that shit.
The thing is I really like everything else by Old and James Plotkin, so my expectations were way too high.

The only saving grace for that album was that it cost me nothing. I have another least favorite I'm working on that goes differently.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-16-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrritatedTrout View Post
And I forgot to mention in my initial review how much I love the solo in Junkhead. Eight notes, a simple repeated melody, less than thirty seconds and probably one of my favorite solos of all-time. Listen to the whole song, but the solo starts at 2:49.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Type O Negative

the Origin of the Feces (1992)

Bloody Kisses (1993)
(original cover, digipack cover)

Type O Negative has always been one of my favorite bands. The thing is they took so long between albums that I’d forget about them. Then they’d finally come back with something new and remind me why I loved them. But, my love for them started with these two albums. I first heard them on that Black Sabbath tribute album a few pages ago and ran out and bought Bloody Kisses. At first I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t a song that was similar to their cover of Black Sabbath (except the bonus track Suspended in Dusk). But over time (like an hour) I grew to love the album more and more. They were able to be so crushingly heavy at times and then so melodic and beautiful at others. And they were able to be both at the same time (see the first four minutes of Christian Woman). I first had the digipack version on the album and bought the standard edition a few months later. I still prefer the digipack version; the running order makes more sense to me. Between the two versions they still hold the record for spending the longest amount of time in my five-disc CD changer; eleven months. The only reason Bloody Kisses left my CD changer was that October Rust came out and that album took it's place. I got the Origin of the Feces shortly after Bloody Kisses and was a little put off by the fact that it was a little less gothic sounding. But again, over time I grew to love it. And the story behind the albums recording makes me love it even more. That’s just genius. A lot of my idols have fallen in the last few years but Peter Steele is the one that really hits me the hardest. I still can't believe he's gone.
Favorite Song (Origin of the Feces): Are You Afraid?
Favorite Song (Bloody Kisses): Blood & Fire
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-17-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Misfits

I can’t really go by album with the Misfits since they only released two full lengths with Glenn Danzig, four if you count the two unreleased albums. By basing my write up on those four albums I would leave a lot of really good material out. So let me just say that I love the Misfits (with Glen Danzig on vocals) as a whole. Really, there aren’t too many songs that I didn’t like. None really. I was already a Danzig (solo artist) fan when I joined my first band in late 1997. I’d heard of the Misfits but never heard any of their music until then. To say I loved the Misfits from the get go would be an understatement. I couldn’t believe that punk music (I never have been a fan of much punk) could be so catchy, dark and awesome. We used to cover She, We Are 138, Halloween, Attitude and if I could’ve I’d have scrapped all the originals and just played Misfits covers. They were simple and fun to play and everyone loved them. We even somehow got the chance to open for the Misfits in St. Cathrines, Ontario at a club show for the American Psycho tour but my mom wouldn’t let me go so we had to drop off. Honestly, Misfits are probably in my top ten bands of all-time. To even pick five favorites is impossible because the sixth song I’ll listen to will be one I love as well. If there's anything wrong with them it's that the recording quality of well, everything is pretty spotty. But most of it was recorded in basements in the late 1970's so it's forgivable. American Psycho was a great album too, even without Glen.
Five Favorite Songs: Hollywood Babylon (terrible version but I can't find a studio one), Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?, Some Kinda Hate, Halloween II, Cough/Cool
Favorite Song (American Psycho): Shining
Here's a bonus of Entombed covering Hollywood Babylon, because it's one of the best covers I've ever heard. The fact that they added the beeping from Die, Die My Darling is just brilliant.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

I'm in love with this thread. It's fascinating to see someone so passionate and open-minded; and the descriptions are really fun to read. Keep it up man!!

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 05-18-2013, 07:01 AM

Glad people are finding it fun. There's still quite a bit to come.
03/07 - Video Games Live
Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Faith No More

King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime (1995)

Album of the Year (1997)

Faith No More really are one of the greatest bands of all time. There is no reason not to like them. They were able to incorporate pretty much every style of music on their albums. King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime was the prime example of that in my opinion. It has sleazy sex lounge music (Evidence), 1920ís big band music (Star A.D.), chilled out island calypso music (Caralho Voador), drunken, depressed country bar music (Take This Bottle), hardcore punk (Ugly in the Morning, Digging the Grave) and 1970ís soul music (Just a Man). Not to mention a heaping pile of awesome 1990s alternative rock. And it was all done so well. What held this album back was it followed up such a landmark (1992s Angel Dust, number four in my top twenty). But it is worth you attention. 1997s Album of the Year was just that. When I started compiling my year end lists it was the album of the year for that year. It was a big more straightforward than King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime but nevertheless excellent. Listening to Pristina still brings a tear to my eye since it was the end of such a great run. Two flawless albums from start to finish. Two albums that are top fifty material for sure.
Favorite Song (King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime): King For A Day
Favorite Song (Album of the Year): Pristina
03/07 - Video Games Live