Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014
Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014
Megadeth -- Denver, CO -- September 16th, 2007
Queen -- Atlantic City, NJ -- July 26th, 2014
Touche Amore -- Lawrence, KS -- July 27th, 2014

  #151  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,202
Doesn't sound like they're planning on stopping anytime soon...
__________________
8/24 NIN/Soundgarden
11/16 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft's Avatar
Blitzkrieg Witchcraft Blitzkrieg Witchcraft is offline
Play it loud, don't play it low
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Big D
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Doesn't sound like they're planning on stopping anytime soon...
This.

Kerry and Tom are the new Gene and Paul.

Slayer isn't a band anymore, it's a brand.
__________________
2/23: Metal Church
3/21: Carcass
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 PM
AnthG AnthG is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,763
When Slipknot decided to continue playing without Paul Gray no one got all up in arms about that. Why are people getting upset about the prospects of more Slayer shows without Jeff? Is it because Slipknot waited close to a year to start playing shows again? Is it because you guys like Slayer and don't care about Slipknot?
__________________
08/09 - Cynic
09/19 - Crowbar/Revocation
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Maideneer's Avatar
Maideneer Maideneer is offline
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,673
Because Jeff IS (was) Slayer. So is Lombardo for that matter, and I don't see him in the picture either currently. I am not a Slipknot fan so I can't comment, but comparing one to the other is apples and oranges. Each entity has their own separate situations and lifebloods.

Lots of people weren't upset when KK left Priest, they tried to justify it by saying he wasn't an integral member, I disagreed. I'm sure that still can be debated.

But Hanneman wrote all the good music for this band. Would Maiden function right without Murray? Or Metallica without Kirk? They could do it, but a ton of eyebrows would be up in the air like the Rock.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Maideneer's Avatar
Maideneer Maideneer is offline
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
Doubt it since King needs his paycheck.
He can just do more Jager commercials.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
300%_Density 300%_Density is online now
When your grabbing ass with your friends...
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Prison Planet
Posts: 3,480
If it was such a big deal then I'm sure the band wouldn't have been touring for the last 2 years w/o him. Its still the same thing, band tours w/o Jeff. Obviously its a lot more of a different situation than before but that doesn't change that Jeff still won't be touring w/ them.

Personally I don't think it should go on w/o Jeff because he WAS Slayer. But its obviously not up to me either.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
TonyD's Avatar
TonyD TonyD is offline
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 6,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
When Slipknot decided to continue playing without Paul Gray no one got all up in arms about that. Why are people getting upset about the prospects of more Slayer shows without Jeff? Is it because Slipknot waited close to a year to start playing shows again? Is it because you guys like Slayer and don't care about Slipknot?
yes
No comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
Because Jeff IS (was) Slayer. So is Lombardo for that matter, and I don't see him in the picture either currently. I am not a Slipknot fan so I can't comment, but comparing one to the other is apples and oranges. Each entity has their own separate situations and lifebloods.

Lots of people weren't upset when KK left Priest, they tried to justify it by saying he wasn't an integral member, I disagreed. I'm sure that still can be debated.

But Hanneman wrote all the good music for this band. Would Maiden function right without Murray? Or Metallica without Kirk? They could do it, but a ton of eyebrows would be up in the air like the Rock.
> :|
__________________
8/24 NIN/Soundgarden
11/16 Judas Priest
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AnthG AnthG is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
Because Jeff IS (was) Slayer. So is Lombardo for that matter, and I don't see him in the picture either currently. I am not a Slipknot fan so I can't comment, but comparing one to the other is apples and oranges. Each entity has their own separate situations and lifebloods.

Lots of people weren't upset when KK left Priest, they tried to justify it by saying he wasn't an integral member, I disagreed. I'm sure that still can be debated.

But Hanneman wrote all the good music for this band. Would Maiden function right without Murray? Or Metallica without Kirk? They could do it, but a ton of eyebrows would be up in the air like the Rock.
It really isn't all that apples to oranges, since Paul Gray (along with Joey Jordison) wrote the majority of the riffs and songs for Slipknot if i'm not mistaken, especially early on.

As far as KK Downing, comparing a departure to a death IS apples to oranges.
__________________
08/09 - Cynic
09/19 - Crowbar/Revocation
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Maideneer's Avatar
Maideneer Maideneer is offline
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
It really isn't all that apples to oranges, since Paul Gray (along with Joey Jordison) wrote the majority of the riffs and songs for Slipknot if i'm not mistaken, especially early on.

As far as KK Downing, comparing a departure to a death IS apples to oranges.
In this sense not really. Priest knew months beforehand that KK was leaving, it just sounded sudden to us because they just issued a press release one day.

Same with Slayer, the whole band knew Jeff was sick and probably irreparably so. That's why I think Kerry was so la-dee-da at the Golden Gods thing sounding like Jeff had his citizenship stripped rather than he just died.

Each band knew the guitarist was moving aside. So the question is, at what point does a band stop becoming a band and start becoming a haven for hired replacements.

If Tom and Kerry left too and only Jon Dette was left, would it still be Slayer? Just wondering how this is gauged. But that's what I mean about apples and oranges. I'm not looking at it as "Guitarist I" leaves, I mean each band has it's own personalities and individuals.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Dextrimental's Avatar
Dextrimental Dextrimental is offline
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,557
For me, as long as Kerry and Tom are still in Slayer, it's Slayer. Kerry writes most of the material these days, and Tom is the voice of Slayer. Slayer have had different drummers, and ave shown that Gary Holt works well with the band.
__________________
Yesterday don't mean SHIT.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008