4.The Redeemer
5.Birth Through Fire (Instrumental)
6.Guardians Of The Flame
7.Metal City
8.Hell Or High Water
9.Go All The Way
10.A Cry In The Night

Released In 1983

Virgin Steele first came on the seen with their 1981 self-titled debut, which was just a big slice of heavy metal.But a couple of years latter, they released Guardians Of The Flame, one of the first power metal albums of all time.This is when all the trademarks of power metal started coming into play altogether.High vocals, fantasy/metal obsession themes for albums and songs, extremely fast pounding drums,and virtuoso twin guitar playing.But unlike future power metal bands, the bass playing is quite audible in the mix and has some dynamic (like many early power metal bands).The album starts with with the possibly most melodic song on the album "Don't Say Goodbye (Tonight)", and just keeps rockin' song after song until the closing stellar ballad "A Cry In The Night".If I summed up this album in one word it would be "Underrated", because it truly is underrated when compared to future classics.The best song of this is by no doubt the bombastic "Hell Or High Water".The one thing that could make this album better would be better production.

Highlight:
"Hell Or High Water" http://grooveshark.com/s/Hell+Or+Hig...r/4B4bvU?src=5

Rating: 8/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 05-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
In Search of Truth

Wow, I feel so loved.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Wow, I feel so loved.
Lol Anyway I've been curious as to what your feedback would be to my list, because of everyone saying how much you love power metal.I would like to know how you think I'm doing so far, and if you like the bands/albums or not.I especially want to know if you agree on my inclusion of Europe.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Concert Veteran

Forget about what people think of your inclusion of Europe on this list. You putting Armored Saint in here is the way more questionable one. Have you hear their entire discography? They are not power metal at all. They are a traditional sounding metal band. Maybe on their debut album there are a few things that could resemble power metal but they are a regular metal band all the way.

Very odd that you would not consider Dio for your thread but you'll put Armored Saint in. If they are power metal so is Dio. Musically Armored Saint has always reminded me of Judas Priest but Priest isn't power metal either though Halford's vocal style did help influence the singers of the genre.

Last edited by Sanitarium78; 05-07-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
One who onions things

Armored Saint is definitely traditional classic metal as opposed to US power metal. I'm with Sanitarium78 here, if Armored Saint is on this list, Dio should be too. US power metal I'd consider to be like Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Manowar, Brocas Helm etc.

Also this list is invalid if you don't hit Into Battle by Brocas Helm very, very soon.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Forget about what people think of your inclusion of Europe on this list. You putting Armored Saint in here is the way more questionable one. Have you hear their entire discography? They are not power metal at all. They are a traditional sounding metal band. Maybe on their debut album there are a few things that could resemble power metal but they are a regular metal band all the way.

Very odd that you would not consider Dio for your thread but you'll put Armored Saint in. If they are power metal so is Dio. Musically Armored Saint has always reminded me of Judas Priest but Priest isn't power metal either though Halford's vocal style did help influence the singers of the genre.
I only consider Armored Saint's first EP and album power metal IMO, as I should have pointed out put will definitely mention it when I get to their self-titled.For some reason I don't consider Dio power metal at all.I listened to that Armored Saint EP without looking at anyone else's opinion, review, or any info really on the band, and my first impression was power metal.But it just comes down to opinion.Just like how it's debated all the time that bands like GnR, Def Leppard, and W.A.S.P. are glam metal bands or just straight up heavy metal bands.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Hunting High And Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Armored Saint is definitely traditional classic metal as opposed to US power metal. I'm with Sanitarium78 here, if Armored Saint is on this list, Dio should be too. US power metal I'd consider to be like Jag Panzer, Iced Earth, Manowar, Brocas Helm etc.

Also this list is invalid if you don't hit Into Battle by Brocas Helm very, very soon.
Will be coming very soon.I'm still deciding weather to put Manilla Road's "Crystal Logic" here or not.If I don't it will be up next, if I do it will come after
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Hunting High And Low

Into Battle - Brocas Helm

1.Metallic Fury
2.Into Battle
3.Here To Rock
4.Beneath A Haunted Moon
5.Warriors Of The Dark
6.Preludious
7.Ravenwreck
8.Dark Rider
9.Night Siege
10.Into The Ithilstone

Released In 1984

So 1983 is over and we now enter into the year 1984 where power metal it really gets started.One of the many power metal bands to release their debut in 1984 was Brocas Helm, and, though a tad underproduced, it is all in all a very solid power metal record.The guitars are furious, and the vocals are raw.I have only just recently discovered this band, so atm I don't have much else to say about this album other than it's a great album but suffers at times from the bad production.For the highlight, opener "Metallic Fury" definitely takes the top spot for this metal debut!

Highlight:
"Metallic Fury" http://grooveshark.com/s/Metallic+Fury/2DfYet?src=5

Rating: 7/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 05-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Hunting High And Low

Rising Force - Yngwie Malmsteen

1.Black Star
2.Far Beyond The Sun
3.Now Your Ships Are Burned
4.Evil Eye
5.Icarus' Dream Suite Op. 4
6.As Above Below
7.Little Savage
8.Farewell

Released In 1984

In 1984 a certain insane guitarist released his debut album, and that guitarist was Yngwie Malmsteen.The title of this album seemed to be an appropriate one because at the time he was indeed a "Rising Force", as far as guitar players go anyway.Now some of you might be saying "Yngwie isn't power metal, he is Neo-Classical metal!". Well I would like you to try to find a Neo-Classical artist that doesn't have power metal elements in them, since Neo-Classical metal is basically just a branch of power metal, and it's hard to find power metal bands (besides American ones) that don't have classical elements in them anyway.Yngwie gets a good start to his solo career with album, with incredible, effortless guitar playing, as well as a tight drum player (Barriemore Barlow) and a phenomenal keyboard player (Jens Johansson).This album for the most part is instrumental, except on the songs "Now Your Ships Have Burned" and "As Above, So Below", which feature the great Jeff Scot Scoto on vocals.He is good but definitely not as developed as he had gotten on future releases with other artist.Yngwie's guitar tone is not as good on here as it is on his other records though, but I just can't really tell why. Best song on here (and one of his most known) is definitely the blazing "Far Beyond The Sun".

Highlight:
"Far Beyond The Sun" http://grooveshark.com/s/Far+Beyond+The+Sun/rU2Tv?src=5

Rating: 8/10
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Hunting High And Low

Heavy Metal Breakdown - Grave Digger

1.Headbanging Man
2.Heavy Metal Breakdown
3.Back From The War
4.Yesterday
5.We Wanna Rock You
6.Legion Of The Lost
7.Tyrant
8.2,000 Light Years From Home (The Rolling Stones cover)
9.Heart Attack

Released In 1984

1984 saw the release of many great debuts of all metal and rock genres, not just power metal.Grave Digger's debut album Heavy Metal Breakdown though has to be one of the best power metal debuts of all time.Sure, they hadn't gone full blown power metal yet and were still at the time more speed metal oriented than their future work, but this is one killer power metal album.The gritty vocals of Chris Boltendahl, the thumping bass of Willi Lackman, the furious guitar playing of Peter Masson, and the incredible drumming Albert Eckardt all combined make one excellent record.The all killer no filler album starts with the beast that is "Headbanging Man", than keeps the blood pumping for the next few tracks until excellent ballad "Yesterday", and than the rest of the album is metal anthem after metal anthem all the way to the closing "Heart Attack".This in my opinion is one of the first classic albums in the power metal genre.Grave Digger, along with Helloween, really kicked power metal into high gear, with bands before them just really forming the foundation for power metal.Best song is by far "Tyrant".

Highlight:
"Tyrant" http://grooveshark.com/s/Tyrant/2S4htR?src=5

10/10

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 05-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.