Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Fu Manchu -- Austin, TX -- April 27th, 2013

Around 8:30 the evening of the show, I arrived at the parking lot across from Stubb's BBQ with a few friends to go see Fu Manchu a block down at the Red 7. By the time we got there, only two people were in line, but about five minutes later, everybody decided to show up at once, causing the line to stretch to the end of the block. During the waiting period, we started a chat with two guys from Monterrey who had actually driven up for the show. Let me repeat that: They drove roughly six hours (depending entirely on traffic, of course) between two countries for a little under 400 miles for four hours in a strange city, and driving back that exact same distance the same night. Now that is dedication!

Anyway, the doors decided to open shortly before the rain decided to piss down until halfway after Fu Manchu went onstage. The opening band was called Party Wizard. They were alright, sounding something like the Melvins trying to be Motorhead; they probably would have had a little bit more energy if they'd had room (the bassist was in the audience for the entire set because their kit and Fu Manchu's gear took up the entire stage, and the singer had about half a foot to work with, so he jumped around in the audience as well). The band ended their set, and Bloodnstuff took the stage. I liked them a lot. Their guitarist had a shitload of pedals (and some weird-ass Swedish guitar) to work with, so between songs, he managed to make himself sound like an organ, a faded horn section behind a wall of distorted guitars...all that groovy shit.

About fifteen minutes after their set, Fu Manchu went on, playing the entirety of their "The Action is Go" album to cheers and hollers. The band didn't talk at all, except for literally a minute spent thanking the audience or stating the song's titles. Instead, they spent their time either creating feedback, jamming between songs, or playing their actual songs. During the encore, the microphone stand fell in the audience, and as a result, I got to sing half of "King of the Road" with another fan before the Red 7 roadie...guy yanked it back up. That was pretty fucking fun.

...It's so weird when I barely have anything to say about the headlining act. In any case, they put on a sick show, and the band were kind enough to chat with their fans after the show (I verified the encore songs thanks to them).

Fu Manchu

Evil Eye
Urethane
The Action is Go
Burning Road
Guardrail
Anodizer
Trackside Hoax
Unknown World
Laserbl'ast
Hogwash
Grendel Snowman
Strolling Astronomer
Saturn III
Nothing Done
--------
Boogie Van
California Crossing
King of the Road
5/3 - TDEP?
5/5 - Master?
5/12 - Nile
5/24 - Down OR Dax Riggs
7/15 - Motley Crue?

Last edited by RampinUp46; 05-16-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

These guys kill live.

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM
N00B

Yep, I always encourage anyone who's never seen them live to check them out-- I've seen them 6 times dating back to 1997 (and most recently last week) and they have always been one of the premiere live bands going, imo.

I know a few folks who don't really get into their albums but have totally loved them live.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 AM
...the dead are among us!

I really wanted to go to this, but I had family in town visiting this weekend.

Sounds like Fu Manchu was great, as always. Did Party Wizard do their "Party Wizard, bring the awesome, we are ahead of our time!" chant? The two times I've seen them they do that near the end of the set and attempt to get the audience to repeat it with them without much luck.
5/23 - St. Vitus
5/28 - Pseudogod / Wrathprayer
5/29 - Floor
6/27 - DFHVN / Pallbearer
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I'd really like to see Fu Manchu some day. The Action is Go! was a great album; it reminds me of my second year of college and weed. I would rather hear a career retrospective set though. I preferred the In Search Of... album much more. And I'd love to hear them play Tilt.
07/04 -- Agalloch
12/06 -- Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 04-28-2013, 12:25 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I'd really like to see Fu Manchu some day. The Action is Go! was a great album; it reminds me of my second year of college and weed. I would rather hear a career retrospective set though. I preferred the In Search Of... album much more. And I'd love to hear them play Tilt.
Yeah, they are pretty good about playing a variety of stuff when not doing the retro tours, going back to Space Sucker, Don't Bother Knockin', Ojo Rojo, Time to Fly, Free and Easy, etc, and the songs in between as well as current songs. They also switch up encores and a couple songs in the set pretty frequently, too.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smearCampaign View Post
I really wanted to go to this, but I had family in town visiting this weekend.

Sounds like Fu Manchu was great, as always. Did Party Wizard do their "Party Wizard, bring the awesome, we are ahead of our time!" chant? The two times I've seen them they do that near the end of the set and attempt to get the audience to repeat it with them without much luck.
They tried to do that this time, and no one wanted to chant with them, so they just stopped what they were doing and left the stage. A couple of my friends were weirded out by their lead singer since "it looked like he was gonna do something awesome but he just stood there". There were also a surprising amount of people who thought that they were called Party Lizard (which, I have to admit, sounds a little bit cooler).
5/3 - TDEP?
5/5 - Master?
5/12 - Nile
5/24 - Down OR Dax Riggs
7/15 - Motley Crue?

Tags
fu manchu