Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

lol that last one, Adrian is like "WHAT ABOUT ME?"
09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch
Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Thank you. I love Exodus, but everybody acts like Baloff is the greatest vocalist ever.

No.
Yep. Ever heard the Heathen demo with Baloff singing? Good God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hCEYZzXMs
Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM
D.B.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
with a post like that it shows you never saw Maiden live man

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
I don't know man. Lauren Harris almost upstaged them in 2008. Their performance was beyond amazing! Maiden had to pull off all the stops to beat her show.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Artillery - Fear of Tomorrow - August 9, 1985

This sum'bitch was released on my fifth birthday... not that I remember it or anything, and it's not a truly memorable release, but it's obvious that Artillery had some chops. Even though they were probably one of the earliest thrash bands, it's clear that they've been influenced by Metallica, altough they aren't really derivative of that band. Actually they're kind of like a European version of Metallica, with that same melodicism and knack for writing catchy stuff but with a more German-thrash feel, even though they're from Denmark.

Standouts: Show Your Hate, Into the Universe, Deeds of Darkness

Score: 7/10
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM

Nasty Savage - Nasty Savage - August 30, 1985

I just can't take this album seriously. I haven't listened to any of their later stuff, so I don't know if it gets any better but Nasty Ronnie is just way too over the top. He's a good singer and all, and the band behind him are actually pretty competent at churning out some pretty good heavy/thrash metal, but I just have to laugh during songs like "Gladiator" and "Metal Knights". The band never really kicks it into top gear either, but they are pretty good at creating that campy, horror-show type of vibe.

Standouts: Fear Beyond the Vision, Dungeon of Pleasure

Score: 4/10
Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 PM

Slayer - Hell Awaits - September 16, 1985

Of all the classic Slayer albums, Hell Awaits seems to be the one that gets forgotten about. Sandwiched in between the groundbreaking debut and their 1986 tour de force, Reign in Blood, Hell Awaits seems to just be along for the ride, allowing the other albums to take all the credit for Slayer's notoriety. And even though Hell Awaits took a while to really hit me, let me tell you, it stands tall on its own merits.

Hell Awaits more or less continues where the Haunting the Chapel EP left off, albeit with a muddier production that takes away some definition from the guitars but adds to the oppressive, evil feeling of the album. The songwriting has gotten more aggressive and complex, with most of the songs clocking in at 5 minutes or more. All of the songs feature some pretty pummeling riffage and dark imagery, influencing a slew of thrash, death and black metal bands for years to come. All in all, this has got to be the most underrated Slayer album there is. Before I started listening to it for the purpose of this review, I didn't have a very high opinion of it. I can't fucking put it down now!

Standouts: At Dawn They Sleep, Necrophiliac, Hell Awaits

Score: 9/10
Old 04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Haha those pictures are awesome. While Maiden is my favorite band there are a ton of other bands that are great live too. Yeah, I'd say Maiden is the best but there are many in the same league. For some reason SOAD was one that poped into my mind when I thought of amazing live bands.

Never been a fan of Hell Awaits.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Yep. Ever heard the Heathen demo with Baloff singing? Good God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hCEYZzXMs
Old 05-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Sacrifice - Torment in Fire - September 27, 1985

Much like Dark Angel a year earlier, Sacrifice are one of those bands who would go on to certain greatness after putting out a pretty lacklustre debut. Don't get me wrong, the attitude is there. The aggression is there. But all that youthful exuberance can't make up for the fact that these guys just aren't writing very good songs and they're just not great musicians yet. The horribly muddy production doesn't help either. Sure, the lyrics are ridiculously satanic and violent, and the vocals verge on death metal, but when you break the songs down, there's just not a whole lot here.

Standouts: Burned at the Stake, Sacrifice

Score: 3/10
Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Kreator - Endless Pain - October, 1985

The last (and in my opinion, the best) of the big German thrash bands to make their debut, Kreator's sound on Endless Pain is decidedly aggressive and raw. In the early days, Kreator went with two vocalists, Mille and Ventor alternate singing on each song here, with mixed results. Mille's vocals are downright evil, featuring an inhuman rasp that we haven't heard before at this point. Ventor's vocals are deeper and more traditional sounding. As a result, the songs with Mille singing sound heavier, and he seems to sing on the more aggressive tracks anyway, where Ventor sings over the more traditional sounding tunes. At any rate, the album is fairly solid but pretty simplistic when you consider what the band would do later.

Standouts: Flag of Hate, Total Death, Tormentor

Score: 7.5/10