Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014
Alter Bridge -- Atlanta, GA -- April 19th, 2014
Megadeth -- Las Vegas, NV -- April 17th, 2014
Gotthard -- Zürich, Switzerland -- April 11th, 2014
Ghost -- St. Louis, MO -- April 20th, 2014

Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Star Wars

I can see Star Wars talk really ramping up in the next two years. I'm a little surprised there isn't a Star Wars thread on here. I find most metal heads are usually pretty big Star Wars fans as well. So here it is then. Post anything Star Wars releated; original trilogy, prequel trilogy, Clone Wars, books, games, comics, expanded universe, gripes, memories, questions.

I'm a pretty huge fan and have gotten pretty deep into the expanded universe. I think I've read close to a hundred of the EU novels, played a shit ton of the games, spent way too much money of action figures and Wookiepedia is still my homepage. I've just never gotten too much into the comics which is too bad since I think there are some great stories in there. But I just don't like comics.

So I'd love to have some discussion with any of you.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Concert Veteran

Well, I guess i'll start with how I became a fan.

I was five years old when Return Of The Jedi came out. This was my first exposure to Star Wars. I never saw the first three in order so I never got to be shocked by Vader revealing himself to be Luke's father in Empire. My parents took me and my older brother to see Jedi at the movies way back in 1983 (holy fuck, that's 30 years ago now) and that was it, we were both hooked as fans for life from that point on. We begged our parents to take us to see it at the theater like four or five other times to.

From there we got as many toys and whatever other Stars Wars merch our parents were willing to buy us. They always used to tell me "take care of those toys, they'll be worth something someday". Of course as a kid you don't think about those things, all you want to do is is recreate movie scenes and find out what happens if Obi-Wan and Vader actually fought in A New Hope When I got older and saw what some of the toys from back then were going for, I admit, I wish I had listened to my parents advise about that.

Throughout my childhood and even now as an adult, the movies are still a big part of my life. I grew up watching the original three movies a lot and they are so much as part of me that they're probably in my DNA. If you've ever seen the movie Fanboys and how they can have conversations by just quoting Star Wars, well, I can do that all day if I had to.

The original trilogy will always have the most special place with me for the rest of my life. I can watch them any time and never get bored with them. I didn't care for Episode 1 at all, in fact I feel asleep in the theater watching it. Episode 2 was decent and overall I have no problem with it. I really liked Episode 3 a lot and enjoyed how the turned Anakin into Vader and the overall darker feel of the movie. I never got much into the expanded universe except for a handful of novels i've read, the movies have always been the main thing with me. I think JJ Abrams should do a pretty solid job with the new ones and am looking forward to what they will be about and probably seeing the midnight showing like I did for Episodes 1,2 and 3
Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

I used to be a HUGE Star Wars fan when I was a young kid. I had to have all the toys, had to play all the games. Those Super Star Wars games on the SNES were HARD AS FUCK, but probably some of the funnest games I have ever played. Episode 1 Racer... OMG... my cousin and I would nerd out over that every time we hung out. Neva Kee FTMFW.

The original trilogy were amazing. I remember always wanting to watch Return of the Jedi, and then later realizing that "Empire" was where it was AT. "A New Hope" was one that I always was unsure about. I remember being extrememly young and always seeing it at the Video Rental place (yes kids, we used to go out to buildings and physically RENT movies ) and thinking the cover just looked SO COOL.

Episodes 1-3 were not bad, IMO. I saw Episode 1 at least 3 times in the theaters, but I think it was only because of the pod racing scene, that was the coolest part of ANY movie I had ever seen, at the time... "Clones" wasn't too bad, I actually enjoyed it, outside of the romance scenes and love story. Episode 3 was good. I remember a friend of mine had a pirated copy of it and we watched it in our Computer Animation class in High School .

I can't wait for the new movies!

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM

I forgot to post how I got into Star Wars. My mom tells me the story of how when my dad bought his first VCR they rented Return of the Jedi from the local video store and they copied it onto a VHS (yes, piracy existed thirty years ago). I was three. My mom still tells me the story that if she ever needed a break she could put that VHS on, leave, attend to my younger sister and come back two hours later and I'd still be sitting in the exact same place with my mouth hanging open. I can still remember hiding under the pillows of the couch when the rancor was on.

I remember we taped Empire Strikes Back off a free preview of a movie channel, and it had the text "you are watching a free preview of (whatever the channel was), please call 1-905-whatever to subscribe" scrolling across the bottom of the screen during half the movie. And during the climax of the Battle of Hoth my younger brother hit the VCR and changed it to another channel. So halfway through the battle some Hindi political show started playing. That was fine because a few years later my mom taped the music video for Cory Harts Sunglasses at Night over the political show, and the first half of the battle. We watched that thing for like ten years before we actually bought legit copies in 1997.

The prequel trilogy. I hated and still don't like Phantom Menace but I saw it in theaters six times that summer because it was Star Wars. The first twenty minutes started out so promising, then they landed on Naboo and boom; there he is (you all know who I'm talking about). Even beyond that, I find the whole part on Tatooine boring as hell. Only the ending really brings it back. Attack of the Clones is boring as hell until the Battle of Geonosis, then I got to see what I'd wanted to see for almost twenty years. But Revenge of the Sith I thought was fantastic. I'd go as far to say it's my second favorite of the entire series (after Empire Strikes Back). I don't think I took a breath for the entire Order 66 scene. And Ewan MacGregor was fantastic as Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to get a real appreciation for that movie (or any of the movies for that matter) real the novel. It's actually one of the best of all the Star Wars books I've read. I felt really bad for Anakin after reading it.

I am not at all embarrassed to admit that I well up at the end of Revenge of the Sith when Owan and Beru Lars are holding baby Luke and look up at the two moons of Tatooine. And I well up again when Darth Vader saves Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi.

So for me I'd rank the movies:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. the Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-17-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM

My wife sent me an article today that said they plan on releasing a new Star Wars movie every summer, with episodic installments (VII thru IX) one year and stand-alone movies in the alternate years.

I really don't like this, at all. I love Star Wars but it will just get to be so watered down after the first few. There'll be nothing special about it when it becomes something every single May. But, strike while the iron is hot. They can have Jar-Jar Binks be revealed as a Sith lord pulling Palpetines strings and I'll whine, complain, curse, see it three times in theaters and buy the blu-ray.

And it feels wrong to not have Star Wars movies three years apart.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
My wife sent me an article today that said they plan on releasing a new Star Wars movie every summer, with episodic installments (VII thru IX) one year and stand-alone movies in the alternate years.

I really don't like this, at all. I love Star Wars but it will just get to be so watered down after the first few. There'll be nothing special about it when it becomes something every single May. But, strike while the iron is hot. They can have Jar-Jar Binks be revealed as a Sith lord pulling Palpetines strings and I'll whine, complain, curse, see it three times in theaters and buy the blu-ray.

And it feels wrong to not have Star Wars movies three years apart.
I'm torn a bit on this news. I do agree that it may become watered down with too many movies. Not to mention it can confuse the hell out of the more casual Star War fans because there will be too many stories to keep track of. On the other hand there are so many cool stories and characters from the expanded universe that they can dive deeper into. It's possible they can create some new iconic characters with this as well.

I got my Star Wars figure collecting addiction under control after the marketing for episode 3 had ended. But i'm not sure if I can keep that up if they're gonna be coming out with movies every year since they will have action figures to go with each of them.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Bring Me The Horizon > Opeth

I don't want them to Call of Duty Star Wars
05/14 - War Master
05/16 - Paganfest
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 AM

I'm worried too that too many people will be trying to tell "their vision" of Star Wars and it'll turn into a clusterfuck. George Lucas is a moron and he brutalized the original trilogy but at least it was all coherantly his vision. One guy now will think Star Wars will have to be this serious drama, another may think it has to be lighthearted action, then the inevitable "dark" Christopher Nolan movie will come out.

The first one may not be the best but it'll be the hugest, with each one doing a little less money than the one before. But putting out a movie every year will guarantee that it'll be toast within five years.

Until, of course, the inevitable re-boot.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 AM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Other than 7-9, I want my Boba Fett and Han Solo Movie, and then Death Troopers
6/6-Ink n Iron
6/13-Goddamn Gallows
8/28-8/31-Muddy Roots
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Other than 7-9, I want my Boba Fett and Han Solo Movie, and then Death Troopers
If you're big on Han Solo there's a really good book series simply called "the Han Solo Trilogy" that you should read. Han's not my favorite character but it's probably in my top ten Star Wars novels/series. The first book was okay but the second and third were phenominal.

There was a series that focused a lot on Boba Fett called "the Bounty Hunter Wars" that was okay.

And Death Troopers, yeah that book was awesome. There's a book called Crosscurrent that was very similar (towards the end anyways) that you may enjoy. Red Harvest was okay.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.