Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Good writeup, but I'd give it much closer to a 10. This was the album that really got me into metal that was not entirely mainstream. I also think this is literally the most violent album ever made. The only other album that comes close is Pleasure to Kill, but Bonded By Blood manages to be a little more coherent.
Epidemic of Violence and Spectrum of Death would like to have a word with you...
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit
Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 AM
WELCOME TO THE WEST COAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Epidemic of Violence and Spectrum of Death would like to have a word with you...
I obviously agree with this, but Bonded by Blood is definitely on par.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Destruction - Infernal Overkill - May 24, 1985

On Destruction's debut EP, the overall sound was pretty aggressive. Something changed with Infernal Overkill though. The whole thing just sounds kind of sterile and the vocals have almost no intensity. The songs aren't great either, as there's nothing really memorable here. It's obvious that Mike Siffringer is a tremendous guitarist but the band has taken a step back from that seminal EP from a year before. There's some good stuff here; "Bestial Invasion" features some great riffs, as does the instrumental, "Thrash Attack" but the whole thing is largely hampered by a lack of memorable songwriting and a pretty poor vocal performance/production.

Standouts: Bestial Invasion, Thrash Attack

Score: 6/10
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Megadeth - Killing is My Business... and Business is Good! - June 12, 1985

Well finally, the last of the "Big Four" throw their hat into the ring. It's understandable though, since Mustaine had to recover from being kicked out of the Band Who Would Be the Biggest in the Land, and recover he did. You'd expect Megadeth's debut to sound like Kill 'Em All but it really doesn't, it has a sound that's pretty unique -- hell, it has a piano intro, which is a definite first for thrash! But it also shows that Metallica didn't just fire an alcoholic egomaniac, it showed that they fired an alcoholic egomaniac who can write a mean song and fucking SHRED.

The song are great, but they really get going with "Rattlehead" (Dave's answer to "Whiplash"?), continues with "Chosen Ones" and finishes off the trifecta with "Looking Down the Cross". The songs are quick, dynamic, well-written and catchy as hell. But then we come crashing down to Earth a litte... "The Four Horsemen" shits all over "Mechanix" and it's painfully obvious. Dave, they took your song and made it better, that's it. Oh, and another shitty thrash cover song... thankfully I've been listening to the re-release with "These Boots" at the end, and it seriously makes the album easier to listen to.

Standouts: Rattlehead, Looking Down the Cross, Chosen Ones

Score: 8.5/10
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

I know it won't happen and I know it's blasphemy, but if Megadeth pulled out Looking Down The Cross when opening for Maiden, they'd steal the show. Maybe.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Hallows Eve - Tales of Terror - July 12, 1985

If albums were judged on their first track, Tales of Terror would score a 9.5 out of 10... but they're not, so it doesn't. "Plunging to Megadeath" sounds like a song off of Hell Awaits before Hell Awaits even came out! Unfortunately, the rest of the album, while not bad, just isn't great. In fact, after "Plunging to Megadeath", the second track "Outer Limits" sounds like it features a completely different singer with a completely different band. The whole thing kind of goes like that though -- Hallows Eve sounds a little like Metallica sometimes, a little like Maiden later, and then on to sounding like Anthrax.

Standouts: Plunging to Megadeath, Metal Merchants

Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
I know it won't happen and I know it's blasphemy, but if Megadeth pulled out Looking Down The Cross when opening for Maiden, they'd steal the show. Maybe.
with a post like that it shows you never saw Maiden live man

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

If albums were judged on their first track, Tales of Terror would score a 9.5 out of 10... but they're not, so it doesn't. "Plunging to Megadeath" sounds like a song off of Hell Awaits before Hell Awaits even came out! Unfortunately, the rest of the album, while not bad, just isn't great. In fact, after "Plunging to Megadeath", the second track "Outer Limits" sounds like it features a completely different singer with a completely different band. The whole thing kind of goes like that though -- Hallows Eve sounds a little like Metallica sometimes, a little like Maiden later, and then on to sounding like Anthrax.

Standouts: Plunging to Megadeath, Metal Merchants

This is another one of my favourites. While every track sounds completely different, it makes for a pretty unique record. The closing track is my favourite, but the whole thing is great!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMaiden View Post
with a post like that it shows you never saw Maiden live man

the only time I ever saw someone steal a show from Maiden was Dio on the Virtual 11 show here in Montreal. Nobody has ever or will ever steal a show from Maiden with Bruce on vocals. Megadeth and any other fucking band is complete shit live when compared to Maiden man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Not biased at all there, are we?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Metal-Setlistcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
There's a bit of a disconnect between Baloff and the rest of the band though. The band -- the 'H-team' and all that -- are a well-oiled killing machine. These guys lock into a groove and are almost business-like about it. They're so fucking tight, it's ridiculous. Then we have Paul fucking Baloff, who is more metal than a goddamn anvil but any true skill or talent he does not have. Paul flails into every song like a drunken street fighter while the band systematically dismembers you with the steady hand of a trained killer. It's a mismatch.

Thank you. I love Exodus, but everybody acts like Baloff is the greatest vocalist ever.

No.