Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Dude. The Splinter Shards the Birth of Separation. C'mon
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Dude. The Splinter Shards the Birth of Separation. C'mon
I was never able to get into those first two albums. I first heard them with Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest and when I went back and tried with the earlier albums I wasn't too impressed. I wasn't too into hardcore then, it was like two different bands. They did the religious thing a bit too much back then too.
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-14-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 PM

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (1995)

I can’t see many fans of extreme metal not liking this album. It’s really a perfect album in every way. There are so many good riffs on it and at only a little over a half an hour long it leaves you wanting more. Blinded by Fear into Slaughter of the Soul is one of the best openings in the history of metal. And the highest point for this album; the massive guitar sound. If I ever played in a band again I’d want my guitars to sound like they do on this album. For the longest time this album was in my top five but it fell out of even my top twenty after I listened to it SO MUCH around the turn of the century and it's pretty much dead to me. If you’ve never heard this album do yourself and just buy it. Anyone will agree; you will NOT be disappointed.
Favorite Song: Slaughter of the Soul
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 PM

...and Oceans – Cypher (2002)

I was really into pounding/catchy industrial sounding music around 2002 and this album came out at the perfect time. I was already a fan of everything …and Oceans had done. And I watched over the course of only a few years as they morphed from a traditional black metal band into this futuristic black metal/industrial hybrid. Then this album came out and they turned into exactly what I described in the first sentence of this paragraph. A lot of people still are disappointed that they changed so much in such a short time but I was blown out of my seat within the first ten seconds of Picturesque: Cataclysm Saviour: And The Little Things That Make Us Smile. That was what I needed. And it kept on coming; song after song. What confused me about this album is how they’d take nice melodies and just fuck them up totally; like in the verse of Angelina: Chthonian Earth: Her Face Forms Worms where they twist the keyboards in the total opposite direction you think they’re going to take them, and the vocals just go somewhere out there. The vocals were a little hard to digest on this album, that was my only complaint. There were moments they were totally crazy and other moments were I can only compare them to those crazy, evil henchmen who live underground in 1980’s fantasy movies. But the massive riffs on this album. And the fucked up song titles?!?! Some truly disturbed individuals made this album. They took it to a level of extreme on their follow up (after changing their name to Havoc Unit) that I'm not sure even I can handle.
Favorite Song: Debris: The Magenta Harvest: Liquid Flesh
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-14-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM

Old

The Musical Dimensions of Sleastack (1993)

Formula (1995)

Old was one fucked up band. People always remember them for their debut album (which is actually one of the worst things I’ve heard in my life) but I think everyone should listen to the Musical Dimensions of Sleastack. I’ve never heard an album that is so much better described by it’s cover art. I did another review of it in this thread about six months ago but I can't find it right now. The follow-up, and Old’s last album, strips any metal away and only leaves what I can best describe as trance-synth-industrial. I’ve never heard any other album like it. It’s actually really good if you go in with an open mind. James Plotkin should be a lot more popular than he is.
Favorite Song (the Musical Dimensions of Sleastack): Creyap'nilla (not available on youTube so here's Two of Me (Parts 1 & 2) instead)
Favorite Song (Formula): Break [You]
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-15-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM

Salem - King Night (2010)

A lot of people hate this band. I'll admit, their concerts do seem terrible, their interviews are brutal but I don't really care about that. I love their music. Here's a short review I did about this album earlier this year.
Favorite Song: Trapdoor
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 AM

Origin Ė Echoes of Decimation (2005)

This is another album thatís great when you just want to get your face smashed in for a half an hour. I think this album was perfect for Origin. It wasnít quite as technical or polished as their later stuff, the production was a little muddier and twenty six minutes is pretty much the ideal length for an album by a band like this. And I like it for all those reasons.
Favorite Song: Reciprocal
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Hypocrisy – Abducted (1996)

I don’t really listen to or enjoy most of what Hypocrisy puts out these days but this was one of the first really underground albums I got in around 1999. The reason I’ve always liked this album much more than anything else by Hypocrisy is the vocals. On this album, rather than a typical guttural death growl Peter went for a more robotic screech with a bit of distortion added. I really don’t think I’ve ever heard another album like it, be it Hypocrisy or another band. There were some really catchy, memorable songs on this album too which really adds to my enjoyment (Roswell 47, Buried, When The Candle Fades). And ending it with two totally different, almost ballads was a really cool touch. The only problem I've ever had with this album (and a lot of Hypocrisy's other stuff) is there are a lot of sudden, fast fade-outs on a lot of their songs. I generally don't like fade-outs but they're even worse when I feel the song could go on for another half a minute or so.
Favorite Song: Roswell 47
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Slayer
Hell Awaits (1985)

Reign In Blood (1986)

Undisputed Attitude (1996)

Diabolus in Musica (1998)

I was eventually going to get to Slayer. But in light of what happened yesterday I’ve been inspired. I like all of their pre-2000 albums but these few always stick out. Hell Awaits was a lot different for them with a lot more complex, lengthy songs. It seems to be forgotten amongst their discography but I may like it more than Reign in Blood. The production is a bit weak but the album is almost thirty years old so it can’t be faulted for that. Reign in Blood I have to include. When I first heard it, I won't say it was the most intense thing I’d heard in my life since I never really heard it until later in my teens. But I could appreciate it and understood how it had fucked so many people up a decade earlier. Any metalhead loves that album and there’s nothing I can write that hasn’t been written a thousand times over. Undisputed Attitude gets a ton of hate and I hated it when I first heard it. But over the years I grew to like it, especially in small doses. It’s much better when a song pops up on random on iTunes. It can get exhausting listening to it from front to back. And Diabolus in Musica is another forgotten album that seems to be getting a lot more praise these days. It had a lot more groove than most Slayer, but what’s wrong with making songs that make you want to move? Sick artwork too. I used to have a t-shirt with the mouth picture from the inlay on it. That got girls. I remember Rhonda Webber (who was hot) saw me wearing it to class in college once, scrunched up her face and just said "ew".
Favorite Song (Hell Awaits): At Dawn They Sleep
Favorite Song (Reign in Blood): Postmortem
Favorite Song (Undisputed Attitude): Richard Hung Himself
Favorite Song (Diabolus in Musica): In The Name Of God

RIP Jeff
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
SADISTIC, MAGICIAN

Diabolus is my personal least favorite Slayer album, but Slayer are one of those bands who even when they're bad are entertaining to me. I just love what they do. Those first 3 are scary albums in context. No other band with that kind of imagery and those kind of themes got commercial success in that length of time, before or since. They're still 3 of the most metal albums ever.

Last edited by Dextrimental; 05-03-2013 at 08:19 AM.