Killswitch Engage -- Providence, RI -- July 19th, 2014

Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Sigur Rós
Ágætis Byrjun (1999)

() (2002)

Hlemmur (2002)

Valtari (2012)

Sigur Rós are probably one of my favorite bands of all time. It started when I was in the midst of one of the very long droughts of unemployment that I’ve probably mentioned in these posts already. I was watching a late night alternative video show on Muchmusic called the Wedge and they played the video for Svefn-G-Englar. I was in that place between awake and asleep and the video memorized me. The song reminded me of Radiohead, but way better. So the next day I downloaded the entire Ágætis Byrjun album and instantly fell in love with it. It was around the same time I got Tool’s ‘Lateralus’ and I was in need of some decent to music to help me out, and help me out it did. When they released () a year later I again fell in love. The opening four songs are so incredible, and the closing song…holy shit. Hlemmur is a soundtrack to an Icelandic documentary that I’ll never see. The music is almost entirely instrumental and keyboards but it’s very Sigur Ros. It’s probably some of the most beautiful music ever put to tape. I really encourage you find it (even though it’s almost impossible to find). They fell off the radar for seven years but came back really strong with Valtari. That’s an odd album of almost all ambient music but it’s really well done. At first I was really confused by it but after a couple listens to it I just found myself sitting in my car after it was done playing in silence reflecting on how good it was. The ending isn't as climactic as Untitled 8 from () but it's nevertheless hypnotizing. I really encourage you to check out all the singles and EP’s they’ve released over the years too. Pretty much everything they’ve ever done is really good (the only exception is 2008’s ‘Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust’) so I really think you should stop listening to all the haters and click on the first link to the video for Svefn-G-Englar.
Favorite Song (Ágætis Byrjun): Svefn-G-Englar
Favorite Song (()): Untitled 8
Favorite Song (Hlemmur): Óskabörn þjóðarinnar
Favorite Song (Valtari): Valtari
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 03-31-2013, 07:06 PM

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - everything

Godspeed You! Black Emperor have been my favorite band for a long time. I think it’s all summed up in this post I made on a thread here early last year. I still feel the same way, if not more because they ended up coming back really unexpectedly late in 2012 and released my favorite album of the year. There are no words, they are the perfect band for me. You're really letting yourself down not listening to them.
Favorite Song (F# A# Infinity): Providence
Favorite Song (Slow Riot For New Zero Kanata): Moya
Favorite Song (Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven): Antennas To Heaven
Favorite Song ('Alleujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!): Mladic
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Those two bands.
7/30 - Counterparts/Hundredth

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM

1349 – Revelations in the Black Flame (2009)

I’ve never been a huge fan of 1349. I saw them open for Carcass in 2008 and the best part of their show (I thought) was the ominous, ambient music that played over the speakers between songs. It gave the show a wicked, evil vibe. So when they released this album I wasn’t turned off like pretty much every fan the band had. Yes, the band was just aping what Deathspell Omega does (better) but there were some really cool parts, like the intro to Invocation, the weird ass piano interludes and the creepy as fuck last three songs. There were two or three standard 1349 songs on here and they were okay too. But even the band seems to have tried to forget this album ever came out. Too bad, I really liked it.
Favorite Songs: Uncreation
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

the Berzerker – Dissimulate (2002)

I thought the Berzerker were stupid as hell when I first saw their promo pictures with the ridiculous masks. But a few years later I actually listened to the music and heard some of the most insane shit I’d ever heard. It was pretty intense grindcore as it was but with those gabber beats in it they took it to a whole other level of craziness. Without the gabber beats I may not have cared about them. Now I miss the masks.
Favorite Song: Painless
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Haven't listened to them in forever. I loved them after I heard their "Corporal Jigsore Quandry" cover on Liquid Metal.
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Haven't listened to them in forever. I loved them after I heard their "Corporal Jigsore Quandry" cover on Liquid Metal.
That cover is how I discovered Carcass.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Carcass with gabber beats, what's not to love? This live video is way better than when I saw the Berzerker in 2009. The beats were barely there and the singer talked over all their intros (I like their intros) so I had no idea what was going on. It was really a mess.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 04-11-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
That cover is how I discovered Carcass.
Me too!
8/15 Dr. Shrinker
8/16 KISS
8/23 Midnight ?
8/29 Sleep
Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Zao
Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest (1998)

Liberate Te Ex Inferis (1999)

(Self-Titled) (2001)

The Fear is What Keeps Us Here (2006)

Zao should be more popular today than they are. They released some wicked fucking albums in the late 1990s. It started with Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest. That album goes right for the jugular from the get go and never really stops. Musically it’s top-notch but what makes it so great is Daniel Weyandt’s vocals. I always compared them to Jeff Walker from Carcass, just in a metalcore band. A lot of bands have tried to emulate him in the years that have passed but in 1998 when I first heard them it was something really different. He’s probably in my top five vocalists of all time and Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest would’ve been in my top thirty. The follow up Liberate Te Ex Inferis was almost as good, it just dragged towards the middle. And it peaked with the best Zao song ever: Savannah. After starting an album with a song like that the only place to go is down unfortunately. (Self-Titled) was frigging awesome too, with a wicked triggered drum sound that probably turns a lot of people off. But I thought it was awesome. It does have probably not just the worst Zao song but one of the worst songs ever in the End of His World. That’s unfortunate. They released a few crappy albums after that but came back in 2006 with the Fear is What Keeps Us Here. Not Zao’s best album song-wise but what I love about that album is that it has one of the most vicious, ferocious production sounds ever. Their vocals were always a high point but on that album they just rip your ears to shreds. It’s unfortunate they’ve suffered from so many line up changes and setbacks because they really deserve to be up there with the As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engages of the world. They should even have those bands opening for them.
Favorite Song (Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest): Lies Of Serpents, A River Of Tears
Favorite Song (Liberate Te Ex Inferis): Intro/Savannah
Favorite Song (Self-Titled): A Tool to Scream
Favorite Song (the Fear is What Keeps Us Here): It's Hard Not To Shake With A Gun In Your Mouth
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation