Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 04-07-2013, 01:00 AM
One who onions things

Alright, here's my interview with Sami from Ensiferum. So I haven't filmed an interview in a long time, so I forgot that I was supposed to record audio along with video (I did however remember to bring my audio recorder). This isn't in this written transcript, but right after the first question I realized I fucked up, brought out the recorder and asked the rest of the questions after apologizing for making such a stupid mistake. Sami then told a small anecdote about how he did a three hour long video interview for a documentary piece and the guy didn't have tape in his camera! He was super nice to me and my friend despite my colossal fuck up, and I think I got an enjoyable interview anyway. The audio turned out awful because of music blasting over our heads and the footage was dark, hence the transcript. It was a pain in the ass to type this one out haha. Well anyway, enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...ew-album-more/
Neurosis/Bl'ast!/YOB (???) 12/29
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Four graves...

Great interview as always, man. Congrats on the sticky too.
4/26 Possessed ?
4/27 Iron Reagan ?
5/3 Chthonic ?
5/3 Sadistic Intent
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfitegrdan View Post
Great interview as always, man. Congrats on the sticky too.
Thanks dude! I got a real fun one in the morning, Ronny Munroe from Metal Church! I'm pretty stoked, Metal Church are one of my all time favorite bands, and I actually enjoy the new stuff with Ronny a good deal.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
One who onions things

And here is my monstrosity of an interview with Ronny Munroe from Metal Church. They're one of my favorite bands ever, so there was no way I wasn't going to royally grill Ronny with this interview haha. If it had been with Kurdt Vanderhoof the interview would have never ended! Anyway, I think there's some cool info in here for Metal Church fans. Enjoy!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...-ronny-munroe/

Well, looks like this one made blabbermouth too. Cool! Not digging all the 'we want Mike Howe' comments though. Dude may have been the best Metal Church singer (and one of the best American metal vocalists ever IMO) but he has no interest in coming back, and Ronny is doing such a good job. Ronny can sing the David Wayne songs way better than Mike Howe ever did as well.

And I got my first mean comment! I made it guys, I finally made it!

Last edited by Onioner; 04-11-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 AM
One who onions things

This is my chat with Jon Leon, Jake Dreyer, Joseph Michael and Will Wallner from White Wizzard. I said this in another thread already but it deserves to be said again- these are some of the all around coolest and most friendly guys I have ever met. I haven't had the misfortune of interviewing a jerk yet, but most of the time my interaction with the artist effectively ends after the interview. Not these guys. After getting to know them and seeing how nice they treated me as not only a fan and a member of the press, but just as a person in general, I know that I really made a few friends after this show. Anyway, I think there's a bit of detailed insight into the lineup changes in this interview, and lots of cool info about the upcoming record. It'll kick your butts guys, I can damn near guarantee it after having been utterly floored by three out of its nine tracks.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...white-wizzard/
Old 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
One who onions things

Alright guys, this is might be my last interview for the forseeable future. This was with Eric Dow, the lead singer of an LA pagan metal band, Helsott. They opened up the Paganfest tour this year. The interview was delayed many times over the last month due to his sicknesses, but when we finally got to talk he was in good spirits. Anyway, Helsott was a cool band to see, and Eric seems to really know what he's doing, so I can imagine these guys becoming a regular touring act in no time.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...tman-eric-dow/

Anyway, so Andrew Metalhead has returned and is wasting no time in tearing shit up around these parts, so my services aren't too necessary anymore. We both agreed that he deserves to take the vast majority of the interviews and gig writeups for a solid while, so my stuff for Metal Assault will probably be limited to album reviews, a phone interview here and there and providing coverage for the Bay Area metal scenes when I can. Not to mention, school is ramping up to new levels of insanity, and my career as an engineer is slowly beginning, so I'm getting less and less time to do this stuff. I hope you all enjoyed the content, and hopefully I'll be able to do something cool sooner rather than later.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
One who onions things

Hey everyone, I've got a couple cool interviews for you guys this weekend! First up is my chat with Rick Wartell from Trouble. So originally we were scheduled to talk on Tuesday morning. I called him and said "Hi Rick, we have an interview scheduled, are you ready to go?" He says "Um, I was not informed of this. I have literally left my house." Needless to say, what followed was me apologizing like a fool and we agreed to reschedule. Apparently Trouble's PR lady just totally spaced on letting him know we had an interview scheduled. We then talked the next day and I think we had a really fun conversation! This wasn't in the transcription since it's kind of tough to make readable, but when I mentioned that "The Last Judgement" was thirty years old, I heard a loud smacking sound come from his end of the line and he said "I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!" I think I accidentally made him feel old haha.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...-rick-wartell/

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the chat, I have an interview with Eric Wagner from The Skull scheduled for tomorrow morning and maybe an interview with one of the Orchid dudes tomorrow night, so those should be fun!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
One who onions things

Alright, here's one doozy of a chat. This is with Eric Wagner, the original singer for Trouble and now he's in The Skull, a band that plays nothing but old and obscure Trouble songs. Eric's voice was absolutely nothing like I expected, it honestly might have been one of the lowest I've ever heard. And if you've listened to Trouble, you know that most of the time Eric does this high pitch screech thing. Personality-wise, Eric was everything I was expecting, saying dude and man all the time haha. Just a fun conversation overall, although I was afraid I might have bummed him out when I mentioned that The Skull-era of Trouble was a dark time in his life. Anyway, there's lots of random trivia and whatnot from all the eras of Trouble in here, so I think it'll be a fun read!

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...t-eric-wagner/

Now here's my interview with Orchid. Now these guys are all friends of friends to me, so I didn't want to come off as some forgettable douchebag journalist guy, especially since I'll more than likely see them pretty often in the future. I straight up derped on a question or two, but otherwise I think this one is an enjoyable read. If you think I put in "laughs" a lot, that doesn't even describe half of the funniness that happened, I actually cut out a bunch of random quips and whatnot that resulted in even more laughter. Stuff like when guitarist Mark mentioned that the Moog was the only instrument he could play with his feet, I replied "Oh, well tell that to Geddy Lee!" Drummer Carter walked in during the interview, so Theo gave him the "shush" finger. In response I said "Well cool, we have Carter joining us!" and he threw in a few random jabs for the rest of the time he was there. There's nothing really revelatory, but I think it's a cool look into what fun and jolly guys the Orchid guys are.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...n-with-orchid/
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM
One who onions things

Alright friends, here's another couple of chats for you all, Crag Dweller and Ovvl. I saw them both at a house show in Concord, was mighty impressed and offered on the spot interviews. Both bands ended up crashing at my apartment in LA when they dropped by on tour haha.

This one is Crag Dweller, a seriously sick stoner rock trio from Portland. They're all really cool dudes, their bassist Cliff is especially super nice. I think they'll really be a band to watch out for in the next couple of years. Apparently this was their first interview ever, so that's pretty cool haha.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...-touring-more/

Next up is Ovvl, an old school hard rock/classic metal band from the bay. I met their drummer Clint when I helped track some songs for his other (fucking awesome) band, Hazzard's Cure. Clint's always a really cool and cheery guy to talk to, and he's basically King of the Road. Dude's toured all over the country with a bajillion bands, despite only being like 30ish. Anyway, the chat was a little odd since those guys were a bit inexperienced with interviews, the long pauses of them thinking of answers to the questions obviously didn't make it into the transcript.

http://metalassault.com/Interviews/2...g-record-more/

My next project is something beyond awesome, a huge in-depth article on Impaled. The scope of it just keeps getting bigger and bigger the farther into it I get, so I really can't wait to share more with you all on that.

Last edited by Onioner; 09-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:07 PM
One who onions things

Hey all, so I've occasionally posted about an article I've been working on about Impaled and their re-recording of their first album, The Dead Still Dead Remain. Well, here it is!

http://metalassault.com/articles/201...retrospective/

The whole reason this article came to be was because I saw the band make a post about the album actually coming out on 10/29 over the summer and I was bored, so I sent an email to drummer Raul Varela about possibly doing the article. He said that everyone would be down to talk, and gave me info for contacting Leon del Muerte, who played guitar and sang on the first album, and sang on the re-recording.

I met with Leon first over in Echo Park. He basically went through his entire recorded career in our chat and gave me the bulk of the info for the article. He was just a total pleasure to chat with for an hour or so. Really nice guy, and super candid about his life experiences. I can't wait to run into him at shows here in LA.

Next was bassist Ross Sewage and guitarist Sean McGrath. I first met up with them over at Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland for a Ghoul show- there was this dumb mariachi band playing without any care, and they were even putting their food and beers on Ross' amp head. Fucking idiots. Poor Ross had to drag his cab out of the way and plant a backpack on top of the head so no one would think to put fricken food on it. Anyway, they realized that they needed a WWII helmet to play Ghoul Hunter off of Maniaxe, but Ross was too drunk to drive so I gave him a lift to their rehearsal studio. It was an interesting experience to say the least haha. When we got back, we basically got locked out of the back entrance to Eli's, so my way into the show was screwed. I went home, and from what I heard the show was insane.

I then met with Ross and Sean again at their rehearsal space after a Ghoul rehearsal- that's where the bulk of the material for the article came from. My recorder decided to be stupid and stop recording about halfway through the chat, so I lost about 20-30 minutes of material. It was probably the most embarrassing moment of my entire time doing interviews. Ross stayed for nearly an hour afterward basically saying the same stuff over again for me so I'd have it recorded, and Sean let me call him the next day and do the same thing. Nicest guys in the world, right?

Next was Raul. I had to talk with him on the phone since he was out of town all of the weekends that I was in the bay, but he talked to me for like 45 minutes just recounting all of Impaled's experiences in detail.

Last was guitarist Jason Kocol. He was really tough to get ahold of since he's been working like a dog on the new Rocksmith game, but I finally was able to talk to him for 15 minutes where we just tore through his time with Impaled and his videogame projects. We also talked studio shop a bit- I always love chatting about engineering with people in vastly different recording/mixing situations.

Throughout all this time I was trying really hard to get an interview with Paul Thind from Necropolis Records, Impaled's old label. I emailed him and he said he was down. I replied, "Great, when are you free?" Never got back to me. I called and left a voicemail, never got back to me. Emailed again, dude said "Sorry, been busy, I'll call you later." Never called. I called him again, Paul picks up, says he's busy and asks for me to email the questions, saying that he'd be able to get to them much quicker via email. I email him questions, and he never replies. That was basically it. I know that the article doesn't paint him or Necropolis in the most flattering light (there wasn't really any way to write it differently), but I gave the guy a ton of chances to offer his perspective and he just didn't take the opportunity.

So I spent about two months actually writing the article and hunting for neat photos. Impaled's website had quite a few, as did their facebook page. Leon ultimately sent me about a dozen really great photos of their tour with Nile and Incantation in 2000. I used a couple of them for the article, and I'm hoping to use more when and if I post the full unedited Q&As of my chats with the guys. I would also bother all of the guys again and again on facebook for clarification on stuff they said and all. They were all amazingly gracious and patient to a dumb 20 year old wannabe journalist, which still blows my mind.

Anyway, I hope you guys like the article. I've never put more time or effort into any other piece of writing I've done, so I'm really proud of this thing. I'm pretty sick of standard Q&As, and I had way more fun doing this article than anything else I've written. I have an idea or two for more articles in this style, but I have no clue when or if I'll do them.