Ceremonial Castings -- Seattle, WA -- July 7th, 2014
Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014

Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Chicks can love metal too

Otep -- Rochester, NY -- April 1st, 2013

This is my first review here. So if i break any commandments, don't send me to the dungeon

Went to Montage music hall here in Rochester for Otep last night. She isn't normally my style, and I originally wasn't going to go, although I like some of her stuff. But my friend and frequent concert buddy is big on her, and she talked me into it. When we got there a local band who I'm unfamiliar with was playing. We weren't really into them so we went to the bar for some adult beverages. The place had quite a few people when we got there, but started getting really full by then. Its a small place so it didn't take much anyway.

Picture Me Broken was next. Couldn't get into them. They were kind of annoying. The lead singer is Greg Allmans daughter. You'd think something would've rubbed off. Daddy must be so proud. lol. Since i wasn't into it much, i went back for more drinks. Holy fuck, I sound like such a lush, don't I?

One eyed Doll was supposed to be next but cancelled due to illness.

So finally time for Otep. I've never seen her before. Her intro music came on and the place really started buzzing. then the first song starts and the roof blows off the place. Holy fuck! I couldn't help but get caught up. She is so full of energy and intense. So much emotion in her voice. Especially with her growling and screaming. Damn can she scream. You can really feel it. She has total control over the crowd because of all that. The rest of the band complimented her pretty well too. I was surprised what a good show it was. Although rowdy at times, which was totally understandable, it was pretty well behaved. She did a few of the songs i really like from her. Ghostflowers, Rise rebel Resist, Eet the children, crooked spoons, warhead. She stayed after for a meet and greet but we couldn't stay. I'm not quit sure if they were charging for it anyway. Whenever she comes back this way I won't need to be talked into it again. great freakin show.

Otep:

Eet the children
TRIC
Crooked Spoons
Apex predator
Warhead
My Confession
Blood Pigs
Battle Ready
Ghostflowers
Confrontation
Hag
Breed (nirvana song)
Rise Rebel Resist
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

If what I remember hearing was right she won't be coming back because shes leaving the band.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
If what I remember hearing was right she won't be coming back because shes leaving the band.
I may be mistaken, but I think someone in another review talked to her and she said it was, "a crazy internet rumor that got out of hand," so I guess it's up in the air.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlamesOfBirchmen View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think someone in another review talked to her and she said it was, "a crazy internet rumor that got out of hand," so I guess it's up in the air.
That was me. She isn't leaving, she said the future is uncertain. And she didn't charge for the meet and greet, but the manager for the tour was a prick about letting people meet her - basically, if you weren't buying merch, you went to the back of the line.
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampinUp46 View Post
That was me. She isn't leaving, she said the future is uncertain. And she didn't charge for the meet and greet, but the manager for the tour was a prick about letting people meet her - basically, if you weren't buying merch, you went to the back of the line.
And thats when I'd walk away. That's kind of a prick move from the manager.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Concert Veteran

Would there be any difference if she did leave the band? She would still be called Otep either way.

Good first review. I saw her a couple years ago when she was touring for Smash The Control Machine and it was a pretty good show. I agree with you about her voice live. Sometimes when you hear a voice on the albums you're not sure if the singer can duplicate that live but Otep sure as hell can. Her voice, especially her scream, is ten times more powerful live. It just engulfs the whole venue and demands your attention. I don't know how her throat isn't killing her after each performance.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 AM
N00B

haha so you are glad you were goaded :3

too bad one eyed doll was sick :/
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post
Would there be any difference if she did leave the band? She would still be called Otep either way.

Good first review. I saw her a couple years ago when she was touring for Smash The Control Machine and it was a pretty good show. I agree with you about her voice live. Sometimes when you hear a voice on the albums you're not sure if the singer can duplicate that live but Otep sure as hell can. Her voice, especially her scream, is ten times more powerful live. It just engulfs the whole venue and demands your attention. I don't know how her throat isn't killing her after each performance.
Aww thanks. Its nice to get a frequent posters approval. Lol. Demanding attention is right. Its so much more big than on the albums. Especially in such a small place. It just overwhelms you. I never thought going in she'd touch me like some of the other big voices I've seen live like Dickinson, Dio and Halford and the like. Seriously. Of course she isn't better but yea. You can tell me I'm crazy now. Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchimyo View Post
haha so you are glad you were goaded :3

too bad one eyed doll was sick :/
Yes sir. I'm for sure glad. One eye doll might've been interesting to see with the setup they got. Maybe another time.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitarium78 View Post

It all depends on when you see her. If you get to her early on like I did, she sounds fantastic. If you find her later or if she's been touring a lot, she'll sound pretty scratchy. Case in point was the second time I saw her; when she wasn't doing her screams, she basically just chanted out the lyrics (this was right after she toured for Atavist and took on a coheadliner spot on a Cavalera Conspiracy tour) because she sounded pretty out of breath.

But I'm glad I've gotten to see her performing a few times, and if I recall correctly, she said she was going to try and support Hydra again in the fall.
7/1 - Cannibal Corpse
7/15 - Motley Crue?
7/26 - Summer Slaughter

Tags
otep