You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Sigur Rós -- Toronto, Ontario -- March 30th, 2013

Sigur Rós
Support: Oneohtrix Point Never
Date: Saturday March 30th, 2013
Venue: the Air Canada Center in Toronto, Ontario
T-Shirt Worn: Carcass "Symphonies of Sickness"

Not metal.

I was really apprehensive about going to this show on a few different levels. Sigur Rós is a band that I’ve loved for years and have never gotten to see. And I’ve heard they are incredible live. But with growing popularity over the years come larger venues and larger fan bases. I knew I would NOT fit in at this show but I didn’t let that bother me. What did bother me was that I hate shows at such large venues as the Air Canada Center (a hockey arena). The only time I’ve been there for concerts is Bon Jovi, and even though this show was set up to half the arena that still gives you and idea of the size. Also, when tickets went on sale I was really worried that I was going to lose my job, and I have two kids and a mortgage that I pay for myself (my wife stays at home). So fifty to ninety dollars for a concert ticket isn’t the best investment when you’re faced with that situation. Then I realized that Christmas was coming (I bought the ticket in November) and decided to ask my mom to get one for me. I ended getting the most expensive ticket she could afford (ha-ha) and ended up in the fourteenth row on the floors.

I have no idea who the opener was but it was one guy playing ambient nature music. The kind of stuff that's cool as an interlude, segue or outro to actual songs...that are good. I have no idea how or if he was even playing any of this. I'd imagine he was just clicking on samples on his laptop. There were brief flashes of something cool, but I mean brief (like seconds of samples). The rest was Yanni for the hipster generation. After five minutes I'd had enough. He played for thirty. But I had zero expectations for whoever was opening. I give him props for going up there by himself in front of the few thousand people who were already there and had about as much interest in what he was doing as I did. And honestly who do you get to open for Sigur Rós? It's not like you could even throw an indie-rock band up there. This type of music was probably the perfect choice. I think he played six songs but he could've been playing one song or a hundred samples. The fifth and sixth songs (or the last five minutes) were actually okay. They almost had beats that could be considered music.

Sigur Rós disappointed me a little. Part of it was probably due to the larger arena setting of the show. I still had fourteenth row seats but I would way rather see them in a club. But a large part was they played too many songs that I don’t like or didn't know. Of the two new songs I really only liked Kveikur and Brennisteinn. The one they started the show off with was pretty mellow (and a terrible way to start a concert) and the other one reminded me of the ‘Međ Suđ Í Eyrum Viđ Spilum Endalaust’ album (an album that I hated). The crowd was really mellow too. I’ve heard that people just stare in awe when they play but I didn’t see that being the reason. They weren't that great until the end. You could hear a pin drop until they played Varúđ, then things woke up for the rest of the show. It was a bit of a snooze-fest up until then but it got really better after that. They should’ve played another song off last years Valtari because it was a really good album. And they really should have played Svefn-G-Englar.

I actually liked that they didn't say a word to the crowd and barely moved. It fit their music, which was performed perfectly. And the stage setup was awesome with the veil that fell during the climax of Ný Batterí and the light bulbs. The highlights were Varúđ, Kveikur (which is the most aggressive song I’ve ever heard by them), Brennisteinn and the encore. Untitled 8 was really awesome. Like really awesome as in made the whole concert worth going to. They played for two hours bang on and had about ten extra musicians on stage with them playing horns, strings, percussion and extra guitar as well as background vocals.

I can't say if I'll ever see them again. Maybe if they do a smaller club tour. But that'll probably never happen.

Sigur Rós
1. Yfirborđ (new song)
2. Ný Batterí
3. Hrafntinna (new song)
4. Untitled 1
5. Sćglópur
6. Fljótavík
7. Untitled 6
8. Varúđ
9. Hoppípolla (with two bass guitars)
10. Međ Blóđnasir
11. Kveikur (new song)
12. Olsen Olsen
13. Festival
14. Brennisteinn (new song)
Encore:
15. Glósóli
16. Untitled 8
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-31-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM
N00B

they're not an arena band. they wont stay playing venues that big for long. they will def. return to 5000/3500 person clubs.I stayed away from this tour bc im not seeing them in an arena. I saw them in a tent at Bonnaroo 2008 and it was one of the most fulfilling and important musical performances i've ever seen. It was absolutely beautiful.
TBS/Used-4/21
Architects-5/5
Foals-5/6
Graveyard-5/11
Mastodon/Gojira-5/15
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 AM

I caught them at MSG last week. First time seeing them and I thought they were great. The new songs sounded pretty good and I loved the ending of Festival.

Tim Heckler opened the NYC show and it sounds like he opened your's.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
N00B

Untitled 8 is the best encore ever, it almost brought me to tears 8 years ago when I saw them. Also Tim Hecker would be a brilliant opener, lucky ducks!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

It was actually some guy going by the name "Oneohtrix Point Never" opening. I don't know if that's the same guy.
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-31-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
N00B

Do you know the name of this site? It's METALSETLISTS, not non-metalsetlists... Go have your vision checked ok?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 AM

boo hoo
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Music Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko123 View Post
Do you know the name of this site? It's METALSETLISTS, not non-metalsetlists... Go have your vision checked ok?
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21211
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko123 View Post
trollin' HARD bro
TBS/Used-4/21
Architects-5/5
Foals-5/6
Graveyard-5/11
Mastodon/Gojira-5/15
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
It was actually some guy going by the name "Oneohtrix Point Never" opening. I don't know if that's the same guy.
OHHHH Sweet!!! His name is Daniel Lopatin, great stuff actually. Him and Tim Hecker put out a colab album last year.

Tags
sigur rós