Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO-- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990
Korn -- Denver, CO -- July 29th, 2002
Queen + Adam Lambert - Toronto, ON - July 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Fuck you.

Why not? The Top 100 Favorite Albums of PVH5150

Doom metal, death metal, drone metal, grindcore, black metal, hair metal, hard rock, classic rock and a few childhood guilty pleasures will all make appearances on this list.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Fuck you.

100. Godsmack - Faceless

1. Straight Out Of Line
2. Faceless
3. Changes
4. Make Me Believe
5. I Stand Alone
6. Re-Align
7. I Fucking Hate You
8. Releasing The Demons
9. Dead And Broken
10. I Am
11. The Awakening
12. Serenity

The first of a few childhood favorites starts off the list. I remember this being one of the first brand new CDs I ever bought and the never ending argument with my mother over the Parental Advisory sticker. Those were fun days. This is still my favorite Godsmack album. I feel that Tony Rombola is a highly underrated guitarist. One of the few modern mainstream hard rock guitarists that has an instantly recognizable tone/signature. I've seen them live twice and both times were excellent.

Favorite track: Re-Align
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbyUST2gOn8
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Fuck you.

99. Cheap Trick - Dream Police

1. Dream Police
2. Way Of The World
3. The House Is Rockin' (With Domestic Problems)
4. Gonna Raise Hell
5. I'll Be With You Tonight
6. Voices
7. Writing On The Wall
8. I Know What I Want
9. Need Your Love

I had no idea who Cheap Trick was until 2009. I'm friends with the dude that runs the local guitar shop and he invited me to go backstage to Def Leppard, Poison & Cheap Trick on June 30th, 2009 at the Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA. He built 2 guitars for Rick Nielsen. Ended up meeting Rick, Robin & Tom. All were super nice guys and put on a fantastic show. Immediately checked out their music after the show. I'm a fan of the majority of CT's work, but this album stands out for me. In short, just a great rock n roll album. Another crying shame that these guys aren't in the RNRHOF yet.

Favorite track: Gonna Raise Hell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hvmgymgo0Y
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Fuck you.

98. Dokken - Back For The Attack

1. Kiss Of Death
2. Prisoner
3. Night By Night
4. Standing In The Shadows
5. Heaven Sent
6. Mr. Scary
7. So Many Tears
8. Burning Like A Flame
9. Lost Behind The Wall
10. Stop Fighting Love
11. Cry Of The Gypsy
12. Sleepless Night
13. Dream Warriors

Dokken remains one of my favorite bands that hit the big time in the 80s. This was their last album before the initial break up after the 1988 Monsters of Rock Tour. As I started getting into playing guitar and experimenting with different tones/sounds, this was one of the albums I found myself coming back to. There's a certain crunch from Lynch that's found only on this album. I had the good fortune of meeting him last year at Matt's Music in Weymouth, MA when he was doing a clinic. There were maybe only 20 or 25 people there so everybody was able to talk to him for a few minutes. I asked him how he got the "Kiss of Death" tone. He recalled going to extreme measures to get certain sounds back in the day. Something along the lines of "stick the cab in this room and angle the mic at the wall so the sound hits it just right". 25 years later and he's doing a clinic in support of his Randall Lynchbox, which sounds like absolute dogshit compared to his Plexi. Oh how the times & hearing change. Either way, definitely an album I listen to at least a few times a year and one of my standards for great electric guitar tone.

Favorite track: Kiss Of Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9oPBWsX-AY
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Fuck you.

97. KISS - Psycho Circus

1. Psycho Circus
2. Within
3. I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock & Roll
4. Into The Void
5. We Are One
6. You Wanted The Best
7. Raise Your Glasses
8. I Finally Found My Way
9. Dreamin'
10. Journey of 1,000 Years

I'm not gonna get into the whole Ace/Tommy & Peter/Eric deal. I don't give a flying shit. Regardless of whoever really played on this album, it's a damn good hard rock album. I found this gem at the old CD Spins store in Davis Square in Somerville, MA for 4 bucks a few years back. Took only one listen and I was hooked. Tracks 1 thru 4 are a goddamn bulldozer, slows up a bit and ends great. A must listen if you're looking for a good ol' fashioned rock album.

Favorite tracks: Within/Dreamin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwLKcc6PO84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-Ol1JQjcc
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Fuck you.

Off to bed for now. More to come tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:09 PM
N00B

I think it's safe to say my top 100 will have more in common with this list than the one album from TheWild&Young's list.
10/3 Anathema/ Alcest
10/4 Mark Lanegan
11/1 Dax Riggs
11/8 LOG/KSE
12/12 High on Fire
2/22 DT/OG
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 AM
I'm Young, I'm Wild, And I'm Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVH5150 View Post
98. Dokken - Back For The Attack

1. Kiss Of Death
2. Prisoner
3. Night By Night
4. Standing In The Shadows
5. Heaven Sent
6. Mr. Scary
7. So Many Tears
8. Burning Like A Flame
9. Lost Behind The Wall
10. Stop Fighting Love
11. Cry Of The Gypsy
12. Sleepless Night
13. Dream Warriors

Dokken remains one of my favorite bands that hit the big time in the 80s. This was their last album before the initial break up after the 1988 Monsters of Rock Tour. As I started getting into playing guitar and experimenting with different tones/sounds, this was one of the albums I found myself coming back to. There's a certain crunch from Lynch that's found only on this album. I had the good fortune of meeting him last year at Matt's Music in Weymouth, MA when he was doing a clinic. There were maybe only 20 or 25 people there so everybody was able to talk to him for a few minutes. I asked him how he got the "Kiss of Death" tone. He recalled going to extreme measures to get certain sounds back in the day. Something along the lines of "stick the cab in this room and angle the mic at the wall so the sound hits it just right". 25 years later and he's doing a clinic in support of his Randall Lynchbox, which sounds like absolute dogshit compared to his Plexi. Oh how the times & hearing change. Either way, definitely an album I listen to at least a few times a year and one of my standards for great electric guitar tone.

Favorite track: Kiss Of Death
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9oPBWsX-AY
just received this album in the mail a few days ago.I agree killer tone on this one.Tooth And Nail is Dokken's best IMO though.Dream Police and Psycho Circus are great additions as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Fuck you.

96. Motley Crue - Motley Crue

1. Power To The Music
2. Uncle Jack
3. Hooligan's Holiday
4. Misunderstood
5. Loveshine
6. Poison Apples
7. Hammered
8. Til Death Do Us Part
9. Welcome To The Numb
10. Smoke The Sky
11. Droppin' Like Flies
12. Driftaway

The lone Crue album with someone that can actually sing, Mr. John Corabi. This was another one of my used CD store discoveries. I think I paid 2 bucks for this gem. From the second I popped it in the car CD player and the opening riff of Power To The Music hit, I knew it was gonna be a good one. Mick sounds ridiculous on this album. With many of the songs tuned to drop C on this album, his guitar gained a new growl. As much as I like the catchiness and riffs of previous Crue albums, this is the only Crue appearance on my list. Something about the songs as a whole really hit me when listening to this and it's definitely a great, hard rock/bluesy album. A must listen for anyone.

Favorite track: Power To The Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zUEREwk0Y
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Fuck you.

95. Motorhead - Inferno

1. Terminal Show (Ft. Steve Vai)
2. Killers
3. In The Name Of Tragedy
4. Suicide
5. Life's A Bitch
6. Down On Me (Ft. Steve Vai)
7. In The Black
8. Fight
9. In The Year Of The Wolf
10. Keys To The Kingdom
11. Smiling Like A Killer
12. Whorehouse Blues

The first of 2 Motorhead appearances on my list. This still hold up, IMO, as the best Motorhead album of the last 20 years. There's something for everyone on this album. Traditional Motorhead style songs combined with borderline speed metal and a lovely acoustic number to close out the album. This was the first Motorhead album I listened to all the way through, so it holds a special place for me.

Favorite track: In The Name Of Tragedy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWsjLRfeHI