Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Altars of Radness

I thought you gave up. You're going to be at it for the rest of the year at this pace.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Blessed Death were a band hailing from that famous little place called Old Bridge, New Jersey and how the hell they got a record out before Overkill, I'll never know, because this is some pretty pedestrian sounding shit. These guys play fast and the vocalist can fucking belt it out like crazy, but Blessed Death manage to sound generic before the genre had even fully formed!

Score: 1/10 (I give it a point because the vocalist screams like his nuts are being crushed)

Will have to check them out ASAP. Sounds like essential stuff.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treghet View Post
I thought you gave up. You're going to be at it for the rest of the year at this pace.
Dude, I'll be at it much longer than that. Starting in 1988 shit gets ridiculous. I can't possibly listen to all of it, but I'm serious in wanting to listen to as much of it as I can.

I've listened up to almost the end of 1986 at this point, and have review written until then. I could just keep posting them but I'm a busy man.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Razor - Executioner's Song - April, 1985

At this point, Razor are still pretty much the same band that released the Armed and Dangerous EP. The new songs are a little different, with a bit more of a thrash feel to them, especially "Escape the Fire", "Gatecrasher" and "Deathrace", but this is still fun, loud speed metal for the most part. Dave Carlo and company have obviously been listening to what's been happening in the scene though. There's an attempt at greater aggression and varied songwriting in the newer songs, so much so that the old songs from the EP sound almost poppy in comparison. The better songs from Armed and Dangerous still kill though. "Take This Torch" will go down as one of my all-time favourites.

Standouts: Escape the Fire, Gatecrasher, Take This Torch

Score: 7/10
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Overkill - Feel the Fire - April 15, 1985

As soon as album-opener "Raise the Dead" kicks in, it's pretty apparent that Overkill are no rookies. The band possesses an obvious sense of drama, a flair for the epic and a serious knack for writing great songs, so much so that I truly believe that if Iron Maiden were a thrash band from New Jersey, they'd sound a hell of a lot like Overkill did in 1985. Feel the Fire is all at once a throwback and a forward-thinking affair -- it sounds a lot like the NWOBHM-meets-punk of Kill 'Em All, but at the same time it thrashes like no one really has yet. At a time when most of their brethren were banging their head against the wall at 100 mph, Overkill fully understand the dynamics of fast versus slow, heavy versus soft, and use them to great success.

Blitz's vocals are an obvious highlight. Sure, Hetfield and Araya can scream and convey anger and hatred, but Bobby can do those things and then croon and warble like (a decidedly less talented and trained) Ronnie James Dio! Bobby G's performance on guitar is another plus. Precise when it needs to be, sloppy when it wants to be and always deadly, Gustafson's riffs serves as inspiration for countless thrash guitarists-to-be. Add to that DD's thundering bass and Rat's lively drumwork, and you have the total package. I haven't even mentioned the songs, but it doesn't really matter. The album is as solid as any.

With Feel the Fire, Overkill established themselves as one of the premier bands of the fledgling thrash movement. They've put themselves in the same league as Metallica and Slayer, and at that point it's very prestigious company. How they didn't get thrown in to the "Big #", I'll never know but maybe it was for the best -- just look at them now. "Ride high, ride tall, Overkill will never fall."

Standouts: Rotten to the Core, Second Son, Overkill

Score: 9.5/10
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Second Son is the weakest song on Feel The Fire IMO, but it is a tried and true underrated thrash classic!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Second Son is the weakest song on Feel The Fire IMO, but it is a tried and true underrated thrash classic!
Yeah, a lot people probably share your opinion, but I've always loved it.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Exodus - Bonded by Blood - April 25, 1985

As soon as the first frantic riff of the title track kicks in, it's obvious that this is another step forward for thrash metal. We haven't heard this before. The level of violence has been increased, not only in the riffage, which is obvious, but in the lyrics too. James Hetfield hinted at one of thrash's major lyrical themes of street violence with "Seek & Destroy" but Paul Baloff got downright explicit. I mean, "We'll kick in your face, and rape and murder your wife"? These guys aren't messing around!

There's a bit of a disconnect between Baloff and the rest of the band though. The band -- the 'H-team' and all that -- are a well-oiled killing machine. These guys lock into a groove and are almost business-like about it. They're so fucking tight, it's ridiculous. Then we have Paul fucking Baloff, who is more metal than a goddamn anvil but any true skill or talent he does not have. Paul flails into every song like a drunken street fighter while the band systematically dismembers you with the steady hand of a trained killer. It's a mismatch.

That being said, this is probably the most influential thrash record we've seen other than the first two and Ride the Lightning. Bands will emulate this style throughout the 80's to varying degrees of success -- hell, bands are still emulating it. Is it the best album ever made? No, there are songs that are less than great, but Bonded by Blood is one of those blueprint albums, and it's a good one.

Standouts: Strike of the Beast, Metal Command, Bonded by Blood

Score: 8.5/10
Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Good writeup, but I'd give it much closer to a 10. This was the album that really got me into metal that was not entirely mainstream. I also think this is literally the most violent album ever made. The only other album that comes close is Pleasure to Kill, but Bonded By Blood manages to be a little more coherent.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Good writeup, but I'd give it much closer to a 10. This was the album that really got me into metal that was not entirely mainstream. I also think this is literally the most violent album ever made. The only other album that comes close is Pleasure to Kill, but Bonded By Blood manages to be a little more coherent.
I don't think you're going to like my Pleasure to Kill review much either...