Machine Head -- Toledo, OH -- July 18th, 2014
MayhemFest -- Clarkston, MI -- July 17th, 2014
Winger -- Portland, ME -- July 26th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Album Reviews

Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenheart View Post
Does the guy from Crimson Glory have his own voice? Do you hear yourself?
Yeah, I heard myself just fine Obviously if I was aware of this singer's work before he joined Ryche I never would've have said that. But first impressions are he does a very good job of sounding like the Geoff Tate of old.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
My heart, tears, and prayers go out to the sad, abused, and suffering children of the world!

For me it's easily the best stuff they've had since Empire. And compared to Mindcrime 2 and Dedicated To Chaos, it's WAYYYYY better!

The sound that QR is going for is a metal album that sounds like a mix of the first EP throug PL. They want to make up for all the shit that tatertot did with them which made them lose a lot of their popularity.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Oh, cool. It's just a different kind of terrible than they've been for the past decade and a half.
I think I love you.

Q2K, Mindcrime II, American Soldier, and Dedicated to Chaos proved that without Chris DeGarmo, QR's studio material ranges from eh, to meh, to . What this song proves to me is that without Geoff Tate they still don't have Chris DeGarmo and they still have the same issue.

As for this new song specifically: It's generic metal. It's poorly produced. The vocals are way too hot in the mix. Where's EdBass? The Auto-Tune is obvious. The guitar solos are meandering. The lyrics are cheesy and like fonzbear2000's obnoxious user text ("Proud to be a Christian/NObama!") seem to be trying really hard to say something.

As for Geoff's QR... there's no way an album written and recorded in six weeks by the guy that produced the last few QR albums is going to be anything other than mediocre at best.

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 03-27-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 AM
N00B

What about Tribe???

Atleast the other one has Dio's rhythm section and members of Priest and Slayer on it, so there's that
Uproar
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
What about Tribe???

Atleast the other one has Dio's rhythm section and members of Priest and Slayer on it, so there's that
I love Tribe. I think it's a good album, but not surprisingly it has Chris DeGarmo writing credits and performances on half of the material (and that's the good stuff too like "Open" and "Desert Dance" and "Art of Life.")

Well GTQR's touring line-up is a bit different than the studio one. Paul Bostaph played most of the drums on the album.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
I love Tribe. I think it's a good album, but not surprisingly it has Chris DeGarmo writing credits and performances on half of the material (and that's the good stuff too like "Open" and "Desert Dance" and "Art of Life.")

Well GTQR's touring line-up is a bit different than the studio one. Paul Bostaph played most of the drums on the album.
I thought Degarmo was involved,and you mentioned my 2 favorite songs off it

The touring band should be decent, Kelly and Rudy did Geoff's solo run last year
Uproar
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
I thought Degarmo was involved,and you mentioned my 2 favorite songs off it

The touring band should be decent, Kelly and Rudy did Geoff's solo run last year
Good taste

Despite the criticisms on some corners of the Internet, I'd agree that Geoff's QR touring line-up could be pretty good. I saw Dio's band when Sarzo and Wright were in it, and they were a great rhythm section. Gray is an okay guitarist, so hopefully Rudy Sarzo's brother, the other guitarist, is a much better guitarist than Gray. If he is, there's a chance this line-up might be worth something. If he's equal to Gray or less than in terms of playing, I don't think GTQR will be worth that much since QR music, and Operation: Mindcrime in particular, are so guitar driven.

GT's band is also getting some better bookings. The real QR is playing in a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. Literally a motorcycle dealership. That's the only show in my state they're playing. GTQR's on the other hand will be playing the House of Blues here.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Good taste

Despite the criticisms on some corners of the Internet, I'd agree that Geoff's QR touring line-up could be pretty good. I saw Dio's band when Sarzo and Wright were in it, and they were a great rhythm section. Gray is an okay guitarist, so hopefully Rudy Sarzo's brother, the other guitarist, is a much better guitarist than Gray. If he is, there's a chance this line-up might be worth something. If he's equal to Gray or less than in terms of playing, I don't think GTQR will be worth that much since QR music, and Operation: Mindcrime in particular, are so guitar driven.

GT's band is also getting some better bookings. The real QR is playing in a Harley Davidson dealership in my town. Literally a motorcycle dealership. That's the only show in my state they're playing. GTQR's on the other hand will be playing the House of Blues here.

Geoff's version is doing the TLA in Philly(where I'm apparently getting comped a ticket), last year his solo band did a now closed sports bar/club in NE Philly

If anything it sounds like things are picking up, he went from a venue maybe holding 150 to one holding 1200, and that's with being in the area twice within half a year
Uproar
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
N00B

The only weird part was his solo band using picks from old tours(I caught a Parker Lundgren pick from their 09 run)
Uproar
Crue/Alice Cooper
Fishbone
Slayer/Suicidal/Exodus
Living Colour
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
The only weird part was his solo band using picks from old tours(I caught a Parker Lundgren pick from their 09 run)
Wait, are you saying you caught a Parker pick on GT's solo tour? That's pretty strange and hilarious