Gojira -- Providence, RI -- October 30th, 2014
Slipknot -- El Paso, TX -- October 29th, 2014
Saint Vitus -- London, England -- October 29th, 2014
King Diamond -- Seattle, WA -- October 28th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 AM
One who onions things

Mutilation Rites -- San Francisco, CA -- March 24th, 2013

What an awesome show. Nile was playing literally next door at Slim's and I honestly don't give a shit that I missed them. This show was just way too cool.

First up was Wild Hunt. Progressive/technical/post wierdshit black metal is the best way I can describe them. Very cool set, and the guys in the band are very chill and nice guys. 3/4s of the band also plays for Dimesland, a so called 'psychedelic thrash' band. I think of them as Voivod on steroids. Anyway, both bands are sick and worth checking out. Dimesland will have their debut album out sometime later in the year (I helped track some of the guitars for the record), and Wild Hunt already have a great debut album out already, Before the Plane of Angles. They played parts of songs from the first album and did one new song as well.

1. Enumerate (working title)
2. Plane of Angles (middle section)
3. Eidetic Parallax (middle and end if I remember right)
4. Panorama/Window to the Nether

Next was Embers, an old school black metal group from Oakland. They totally killed, and their singer Kelly was just awesome. There was definitely a Ludicra influence going on here, but more overtly black metally.

1. Eucharist
2. Shadows
3. Dust
4. Forsaken

First of the two touring bands was Inter Arma. They were also very cool. Their singer had no room to move onstage, so he just spent the whole set running around on the floor. He split black metal shrieks and Scott Kelly like yells.

1. Carve My Name in Your Bones (working title)
2. The Survival Fires
3. 'sblood
4. Destroyer

Last was Mutilation Rites, who tore the fucking roof off. Seriously, after hearing way too much atmospheric bullshit black metal, this was such a relief. There were d-beats, Celtic Frosty thrashiness, and plenty of plain badass riffs. Too cool for words.

1. A Season of Grey Rain
2. Realms of Dementia
3. White Death
4. Blood Will Tell
5. Goliath
6. Negative Space
7. Fogwarning
8. Dead Years
9. Ancient Bloodoath

This show basically made me realize how awesome the bay is for metal when I can actually get into the cool shows (I was easily the youngest dude there, which is kind of depressing considering I'm 20 now). The vibe was so laidback and communal, I couldn't have loved it more. Nothing but great music all night, only for $10. Hell yeah.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM
and you can never quarantine the past

Embers are great! Also, can I ask you how you got that recording gig (internship?) I don't know too much about music theory and shit but production sounds awesome. Either that or I be a merch guy ah lack of ambition...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Embers are great! Also, can I ask you how you got that recording gig (internship?) I don't know too much about music theory and shit but production sounds awesome. Either that or I be a merch guy ah lack of ambition...
Well, I've been a nerd about album production for forever and it's something I've wanted to do since I was like, 15. I cold-called Justin Weis, the dude who engineered Slough Feg, Ludicra, Hammers of Misfortune and Cormorant one day, and he actually wasn't too keen on taking on an intern. He was willing to let me sit in on a session though, so I came in and made myself useful. He's let me help out on tracking sessions ever since- the guy is easily one of the coolest dudes I know, and I've learned so much from him just by watching him work. After watching the Amenra mastering session last summer I remember he and I spent a couple hours just talking about how awesome the album Mob Rules by Black Sabbath is haha.

You don't have to be super into music theory or anything to be a good engineer, but it certainly helps. What you do need is a sharp ear and a willingness to never stop learning and adapting. You also just gotta put yourself out there and send a few emails and make a few calls. Working with these smaller metal artists is much easier than you'd think, sometimes it's easy to forget that in the grand scheme of things, metal is just a microscopic part of popular music and culture today.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Buahahahahaha

Ah snap, I didn't realize you were in town. You going to Metal Alliance on thursday?
12/07 Pallbearer
12/12 Lil B 'The Based God'
12/19 Lil B 'The Based God'
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
Ah snap, I didn't realize you were in town. You going to Metal Alliance on thursday?
I hope! The show is sold out, so my only hope is getting hooked up through one of the bands playing. I'll be at Clutch tomorrow night for sure though.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Tags
embers, inter arma, mutilation rites, wild hunt