Death Angel -- San Francisco, CA -- December 27th, 2014
Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
That Guy

Facepalms.....Facepalms everywhere.....

I'm sorry I live in the near Suburbs of The Twin Cities. I grew up in a population of 1051 people. and I'm older than a lot of you by at least 7 years *Not all of you get your panties out of your vaginas*

Yeah maybe times have changed where you are from, but living in Rural Wisconsin and not living in any kind of city life besides going to shows, and keeping to myself besides close friends and the bands I interview. I have my own opinions based on what I encounter. I get my news information from label emails, band emails, discovering music on my own and on here. Hell Blabbermouth features me and I don't even read my articles on there. I don't have other things to tell me what is cool and what is not. I just have myself and really, that's all a person should rely on is themselves to know what they like.

Also, why the fuck would you go to fucking Hot Topic to get your Metal in any capacity? The last time I walked by one, they had a giant Taylor Swift banner hanging from the ceiling

And yeah, Maybe Metallica is the most celebrated Metal band in the world, but if you ask people over a certain age, or of the right religious group, it's as Satanic as Mainstream Jazz was in the 20s and 30s.

The point of all of this is that Metal is one of the most underrated genres of music out there, NOT INCLUDING SUB GENRES. Maybe Metal is more listened to than Acoustic based Hip Hop Folk Rock, but again Metal fan are stereotyped and persecuted all the time, just now a days its not as often to their face.

Maybe I'm just to old to get what's cool and hip and whats not cool and not hip. meh...
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

I never stated I go to Hot Topic to get anything metal related I simply said you can walk into a Hot Topic and buy cds and shirts from bands like COB.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetal108 View Post
I never stated I go to Hot Topic to get anything metal related I simply said you can walk into a Hot Topic and buy cds and shirts from bands like COB.
Just to prove this point one more time, at the Mall of America, the company who owns Hot Topic, who also owns the GAP, now has a store dedicated to One Direction for the next 6 months...

Now why would their fan base of Asking Alexandria and Taylor Swift fans correlate to anything Metal related?

I've been to plenty of shows when I was in high school where I asked people where they go their Dimmu Borgir, or Cannibal Corpse shirts, and they said Hot Topic. I asked them what songs they liked and almost verbatim the answer is " I didn't know they were a band. I just thought the shirt was cool."

Granted maybe things have changed, I graduated 6 years ago, but I can't imagine the metal scene exactly got stronger in those 6 years in the mainstream crowds without THOSE kinds of people filling out the bases.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM
So either make a change or shut the fuck up about it already.

MPF. Metal being stereotyped yes very true but that wasnt the point. It's def a popular genre in the US. I mean mainstream metal bands are featured in movie soundtracks and whatnot. Black Sabbath --> Ironman, hell there was def a plug for Sabbath reunion in The Avengers! Anyhow no need to get mad and rant about Hot Topic and Taylor Swift they didnt do anything to you.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoomsayerX View Post
MPF. Metal being stereotyped yes very true but that wasnt the point. It's def a popular genre in the US. I mean mainstream metal bands are featured in movie soundtracks and whatnot. Black Sabbath --> Ironman, hell there was def a plug for Sabbath reunion in The Avengers! Anyhow no need to get mad and rant about Hot Topic and Taylor Swift they didnt do anything to you.
This.

I mean god damn how many metal songs are featured in mainstream horror movies now a days.

Prime example Rob Zombie is pretty much known to everyone know for his work in movies and everyone that knows about his movies knows about his music.

Black Sabbath played Lolla last year as the headliner. One of the biggest fests in the US got headlined by a metal band, a fest in which 99% of the stuff isn't metal.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Altars of Radness

Guys, what you need to realize is that Wisconsin is a lot like Buffalo; bands like Metallica are still underground there.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:19 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Quote:
But you never go around and hear anyone use the term underground to describe bands like COB or anything. You can walk into a Hot Topic and buy COB shirts and cds.
This is news to me. The last time I walked into a HT, the closest thing they had to CoB is ONE Iron Maiden hoodie (which I bought ) a few Metallica shirts, and a Slipknot wristband or something like that.

I do get the point though. Honestly, the term I use to describe bands like that is "mid-level". They aren't selling out the local arena or shit like that (Metallica, Iron Maiden), but they're clearly not a band that plays at dives in the middle of nowhere for gas money to see their fans either (Exhumed, Eyehategod).

Quote:
And where the fuck are we that people think Metallica is the devils music with vocals you can't understand? Are we in the 80's or in the deep south or something?
This.
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 03-17-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
Facepalms.....Facepalms everywhere.....

I'm sorry I live in the near Suburbs of The Twin Cities. I grew up in a population of 1051 people. and I'm older than a lot of you by at least 7 years *Not all of you get your panties out of your vaginas*

Yeah maybe times have changed where you are from, but living in Rural Wisconsin and not living in any kind of city life besides going to shows, and keeping to myself besides close friends and the bands I interview. I have my own opinions based on what I encounter. I get my news information from label emails, band emails, discovering music on my own and on here. Hell Blabbermouth features me and I don't even read my articles on there. I don't have other things to tell me what is cool and what is not. I just have myself and really, that's all a person should rely on is themselves to know what they like.

Also, why the fuck would you go to fucking Hot Topic to get your Metal in any capacity? The last time I walked by one, they had a giant Taylor Swift banner hanging from the ceiling

And yeah, Maybe Metallica is the most celebrated Metal band in the world, but if you ask people over a certain age, or of the right religious group, it's as Satanic as Mainstream Jazz was in the 20s and 30s.

The point of all of this is that Metal is one of the most underrated genres of music out there, NOT INCLUDING SUB GENRES. Maybe Metal is more listened to than Acoustic based Hip Hop Folk Rock, but again Metal fan are stereotyped and persecuted all the time, just now a days its not as often to their face.

Maybe I'm just to old to get what's cool and hip and whats not cool and not hip. meh...

*standing ovation
Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

I hate this thread, but feel the need to point out that using Black Sabbath as evidence of metal's popularity isn't a great example. Sure, they're metal, but they're nothing more than hard rock to the general public. Not to mention that these people don't care about Tony or Geezer, but only Ozzy. The Dio era (or others) mean nothing to them.

Also, Hot Topic has changed a lot of the years. It used to be ok, stocking a lot of melodeath and metal around the same popularity. Then, it became pretty bad, going to mainly Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. Then, it was awesome, and they started stocking Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction stuff. And now, it is worse than it's ever been. Last time I went to one, I could only find Metallica and not Slayer.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
I hate this thread, but feel the need to point out that using Black Sabbath as evidence of metal's popularity isn't a great example. Sure, they're metal, but they're nothing more than hard rock to the general public. Not to mention that these people don't care about Tony or Geezer, but only Ozzy. The Dio era (or others) mean nothing to them.

Also, Hot Topic has changed a lot of the years. It used to be ok, stocking a lot of melodeath and metal around the same popularity. Then, it became pretty bad, going to mainly Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. Then, it was awesome, and they started stocking Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction stuff. And now, it is worse than it's ever been. Last time I went to one, I could only find Metallica and not Slayer.
Its more rap and pop stuff. Theres a few slipknot, metallica, iron maiden etc. But the rest is 1D, 2chainz, BMTH, Asking Alexandria etc. Really sucks. And i havent seen a cob shirt in there ever, and i also havent seen a Cannibal Corpse on in about a year
Killswitch Engage-10/24
Slipknot-11/26
Exodus-12/7