Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
Wow, thanks for the kind words. I didn't think anyone liked the old concert reviews but I'll see if I can dig up a few more for you.

With Sonic Youth I'd suggest checking out Goo first. Daydream Nation is good but I think they have better. Just remember what I said that for every good song on their albums there's usually a fucked up, skippable song. And for the Melvins I'd suggest Houdini.

KEN mode is opening for Today is the Day next month I think, so if I get to go I hope to make it there in time for them. Did they just release a new album that has some Lovcraftian looking octopus on the cover or something?
I've never read any Lovecraft but is this what you're talking about? I just heard it the other day, it's fantastic.

All right, so I checked out Goo, Sister, EVOL, and Washing Machine. (Dirty's queued up next.) Those first three kinda blend together, but I'm mostly a passive listener so I definitely need to spend more time with them. EVOL's probably my favorite of those three, though. and Washing Machine is just amazing. I probably won't get to the Melvins for a while as I'm gonna try to listen to all of Sonic Youth's shit in the coming days/weeks.

And while I'm on this thread...
I've been checking out Neurosis' discography recently. TSAB is pretty good but Times of Grace is my favorite by far.
Downward Spiral is great, obviously.
I've always liked Dismember more than Entombed, dunno why, but recently I've gotten so sick of the Sunlight Studios guitar tone it's ridiculous. (probably because of all the southern lord bands I've been listening to...)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
I've never read any Lovecraft but is this what you're talking about? I just heard it the other day, it's fantastic.

All right, so I checked out Goo, Sister, EVOL, and Washing Machine. (Dirty's queued up next.) Those first three kinda blend together, but I'm mostly a passive listener so I definitely need to spend more time with them. EVOL's probably my favorite of those three, though. and Washing Machine is just amazing. I probably won't get to the Melvins for a while as I'm gonna try to listen to all of Sonic Youth's shit in the coming days/weeks.

And while I'm on this thread...
I've been checking out Neurosis' discography recently. TSAB is pretty good but Times of Grace is my favorite by far.
Downward Spiral is great, obviously.
I've always liked Dismember more than Entombed, dunno why, but recently I've gotten so sick of the Sunlight Studios guitar tone it's ridiculous. (probably because of all the southern lord bands I've been listening to...)
That's the cover.

Dirty's actually my least favorite Sonic Youth album that I've heard but a lot of people like it. I got laid-off the day I bought it so it has some shit memories associated with it. It's their most mainstream sounding album that's for sure. I listen to that album and I hear early-1990's. Theresa's Sound-World, Wish Fulfillment, Sugar Kane, Against Facism and On The Strip are all good songs.

Times of Grace is a really good too (that's why I didn't mention it when I was listing all my gripes with later Neurosis)

And the Sunlight Studios guitar tone had its time but it sounds dated today.
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 PM

"Masters of Misery" Black Sabbath: the Earache Tribute (1992/1997)

This is a special album. I go turned onto so many bands from buying this tribute album. I first bought it just for Sleeps cover of Snowblind, then I listened to it and it didn’t grab me as much as their original work. So I looked at the back cover and was a little worried. Rather than have all Earache’s bigger acts (Napalm Death, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Entombed) the album was filled with bands I’d never heard of or didn’t really like. But I gave it a whirl anyway. The first surprise was that I liked the Cathedral song. I never liked them that much but that gave me hope. After that it was an hour of a whirlwind when every band was actually more enjoyable than the last. I couldn’t believe it. This comp introduced me to Godflesh, Anal Cunt, Fudge Tunnel, OLD and Brutal Truth; all bands I ended up buying music by afterwards and even seeing live if I had the chance. Then there were a ton of bands that were enjoyable but I wasn’t too interested in hearing anything else by. Even the gabber-beats techno cover of Paranoid by Ultraviolence was pretty cool. This is a great comp because the bands make the songs their own to the point where you don't even realize they're doing Black Sabbath covers. If you ever come across this little gem pick it up, whether you’re a fan of Black Sabbath or any of the bands on it.
Favorite Song: Who Are You? covered by OLD
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM

the Crow (1994)

Nine times out of ten soundtracks are crap. Even if it’s full of your favorite bands the songs are usually just:
a) leftovers that weren’t good enough to make it on their last album
b) covers
c) remixes
d) already on albums so therefore you already have them
e) just not very good songs
But every once and a while a really good soundtrack comes along. The Crow soundtrack was one of those. The movie was actually pretty good and it had some of the best alternative bands of the era on it (Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, Helmet, who all had great songs). There were some great dark songs on it by the Cure and Rollins Band, some great underground industrial from My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, and one of the best Pantera songs out there; a cover of Poison Idea’s the Badge. But there was some filler by artists I didn’t really care for; like Jane Siberry and the Violent Femmes. But those songs were all still really dark and fit in. Really with this album the bands I knew had songs I really liked. And all the bands I didn’t know or knew I didn't like already had songs that I didn’t, except My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult (that song was awesome). I wish I knew what happened to my copy of this album. It's gone, somewhere, and I don't really feel like buying it again. If you've never seen the movie you should check it out too.
Favorite Song: Burn by the Cure
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-18-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Not a number, I'm a free man

I don't really listen to much of the stuff listed but I have to say that this list is diverse as hell which is cool.
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Nativity in Black: A Tribute to Black Sabbath (1994)

This album is nowhere near as good as the Earache records one a few posts ago but nevertheless it was so important to young adamclark52. When I bought this album it was the first time I ever heard Sepultura. So who knows where my musical tastes wouldíve gone if I never heard them. And it was also the first time I ever heard Type O Negative, one of my favorite bands of all time. Those two reasons alone are why this was such an important album for me. But there were some other really good songs on here too (the covers by White Zombie, Megadeth, 1,000 Homo DJís, Corrosion of Conformity, Faith No More and Ugly Kid Joe were all great). I havenít listened to this album in years and if I lost it I wouldnít be heartbroken but it pretty much turned me into a metal head.
Favorite Song: Black Sabbath by Type O Negative
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM

Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh (1998)

When most people rattle off their favorite Morbid Angel album you usually hear Alter of Madness, Illud Divinum Insanus or Coventant. The Steven Tucker years are always forgotten and I donít understand why. I guess itís because I never listened to them during the David Vincent years but this album is fucking sick. It has some of the best riffs Morbid Angel ever came up with (the intro to Nothing Is Not, the bridge in Prayer Of Hatred ) and I really think Steven Tucker has a better death growl than David Vincent. It's short, it's fast and it's super sludgy. If thereís anything that kills this album itís the last three instrumental tracks. I donít see why they wouldnít have strewn them between tracks on the album. Or really theyíre not very good so I donít know what made them decide that they had to be on the album in the first place. But aside from those there is really nothing wrong with this album and I think itís worth your time. Theyíre released worse.
Favorite Song: Prayer Of Hatred
11/30 - Devin Townsend
Old 03-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Broken Social Scene
Broken Social Scene (2005)

Forgiveness Rock Record (2010)

Another Canadian band that I doubt many people on this forum have ever heard of but a pretty popular band in Canada. I usually hate most radio rock but Broken Social Scene do something a bit different. It’s not just verse-chorus-verse-chorus music and it doesn’t sound a bit like Three Days Grace. BSS were a pretty creative band and on the self-tiitled album they took it to a whole other level. It was a very experimental, spastic almost improvisational album. BSS was basically two guys at the core who invited friends to come and play and on their albums you had everyone just doing their thing but making it work in the end. It could’ve been a mess but it turned out really good. The follow up was a little more laid back and thought out but was still a great album. The best memories I have of that album are that I got it around the same time my first son was born. So the bliss of new parenthood still surrounds the songs. It’s too bad they go away for years at a time because I’d love more music from them.
Favorite Song (Broken Social Scene): Superconnected
Favorite Song (Forgiveness Rock Record): Sentimental X's
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-20-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
When most people rattle off their favorite Morbid Angel album you usually hear Alter of Madness, Illud Divinum Insanus or Coventant.[/url][/i]
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM

Opeth
Morningrise (1996)

My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)

You know what, I bite my tongue a lot when people are discussing Opeth. But I’m just going to say it; new Opeth is gay. I can’t believe that the same band that released these two wicked albums turned into that lame-ass coffee shop band. My Arms, Your Hearse is pretty important to me since it was one of the first underground albums I ever got. I was still listening to a lot of Roadrunner bands in 1998 (Machine Head, Fear Factory) so they were totally different for me. Odd that they would sign to Roadrunner some years later. I'll never forget when my friend Evan came to my house with this import CD by some band that I had no idea how he'd discovered. The vocal fade-in for April Ethereal sent a shiver down my spine then blasted into one of the heaviest songs I'd heard in my life. They were pretty much the heaviest band I'd heard up until that point. Now I even hear they're doing an acoustic version of Demon of the Fall. Sigh. Morningrise is just a better album I think; just the songs are a little too long (I’m looking at you Black Rose Immortal). There are some boring parts but then are those incredible parts that grab you. Like that little bass break at 3:13 of Nectar . I love the covers for both albums too.
Favorite Song (Morningrise): the Night and the Silent Water
Favorite Song (My Arms, Your Hearse): April Ethereal
11/30 - Devin Townsend

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.