Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
with his arms outstretched

Honorable Mention #19

Mass Effect OST

Is it becoming obvious that I love video game music yet? A lot of Mass Effects soundtrack is pretty ambient, unnoticeable stuff. Until you put it on your iTunes or something while you’re typing. Songs will come on and you’ll be like, “what the hell is that? That’s cool” (checks iTunes, sees what it is) “Ohhhh, Mass Effect!”. Of course, the standout tracks really stand out. Personally I love the club music. When I first walked into Upper Afterlife and heard that pumping music through the door I wondered what was going on. Then I walked into the room, saw all the video screens, the dim lights, the Asari dancers and the music hit me in the face. That was fucking awesome. I'm the biggest, fattest, Harry Potter look-alike geek out there, but I still want the music from Purgatory in Mass Effect 3 to follow me wherever I walk.
Favorite Song (Mass Effect): Vigil
Favorite Song (Mass Effect 2): Lower Afterlife
Favorite Song (Mass Effect 3): Purgatory

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM

One of the MOD's was able to change the title of this thread. So I'm going to leave top twenty at the beginning and get rid of all the honourable mention numbers. I'm just going to keep posting stuff I like in random order.

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Shallow, North Dakota - This Apparatus Must Be Earthed (1997)

Another album that was on the cusp of being in my top twenty. This is probably one of the best hardcore/sludge albums I’ve ever heard and no one here has probably ever heard of it. Shallow, North Dakota are in fact from Hamilton, Ontario. Why that name, who cares? The only thing that matters is that when this album wants to be fast it is blistering fast, and wants to be heavy it is heavy as fuck. To give you an idea, seven songs plow through in a little over seventeen minutes while the other three plod along in around twenty three. It sounds like it was recorded live in studio too, which gives it a wicked raw sound. And some songs sound like they don’t even have a guitar but two bass’ instead. They’re probably one of the greatest live bands I’ve ever seen too. I saw them opening for Sons of Otis at the El Macambo in Toronto in late 1999 and they were incredibly heavy. And during the show the guitarists amp blew a head, so while he found and set up a new one the drummer just pounded his one symbol at a very slow, plodding pace. I mean he was pounding it so hard I was surprised the thing didn’t snap in half. After the amp was fix the guitarist strummed the same D-chord for about five minutes before the next song started. You had to be there, but it was surreal! I don’t even know if they’re still around. Their massive drummer/vocalist (three hundred pound plus Tony Jacome, who used bass drums as toms) seemed happier working in the Hamilton lumberyard than trying to be a rock star. And bassist “Biff” was climbing the ladder at Blockbuster the last time I spoke to him but that was fifteen years ago. I think they may have released a vinyl only album in 2004 but I don’t own a record player so I’ve never heard it.
Favorite Song: Speed King (the song starts at 6:29 of the video but you may as well enjoy the rest)

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-26-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Kittens - Tiger Comet (1995)

Kittens actually have a connection to the last band Shallow, North Dakota. They played a lot of shows together in the mid to late 1990ís, they were signed to the same label and they did a bunch of split EPs with them. I never got to see any of those shows but I bet they were insane. And no this isnít Kittie (the band that almost caused the death of music in the late 1990ís) this is Kittens, the manic three-piece noise band from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Theyíve always reminded me of Today is the Day but stripped down to the most simplistic basics. Their riffs are usually one or two note progressions, the drumming and bass is just a constant rhythm that follow along and the vocals are just slightly distorted screaming. But it works so well. It works so well because they are able to do so much with so little. Some of the scariest music youíll ever hear from three of the most normal looking guys youíll ever see. Listen to the first verse of Hornet and tell me something isnít wrong with that guy when he laughs/screams. This album couldíve been in the top twenty too if it werenít for a fact that it actually gives me a bit of a headache after a half hour. It never lets down.
Favorite Song: Hornet

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
and you can never quarantine the past

This is such an awesome thread. Between this, and your old concert reviews, you're becoming one of my favorite posters here...

Anyway, sonic youth and the melvins are two bands that I've actually wanted to get into for a while now, but have been intimidated by the massive size of their discographies, so I'm glad to see 'em on here! I definitely will check out houdini, eggnog, bullhead, lysol, honkey, and the maggot....

as for Sonic Youth, I dig all the songs you posted, especially schizophrenia... the only album I've listened to by them is Daydream nation, which I heard a couple months ago; I wasn't terribly impressed, but I thought the "trilogy" at the end was amazing

ALSO: do you like KEN mode? I think you'd like them based on shallow, north dakota and kittens (very cool bands)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
This is such an awesome thread. Between this, and your old concert reviews, you're becoming one of my favorite posters here...

Anyway, sonic youth and the melvins are two bands that I've actually wanted to get into for a while now, but have been intimidated by the massive size of their discographies, so I'm glad to see 'em on here! I definitely will check out houdini, eggnog, bullhead, lysol, honkey, and the maggot....

as for Sonic Youth, I dig all the songs you posted, especially schizophrenia... the only album I've listened to by them is Daydream nation, which I heard a couple months ago; I wasn't terribly impressed, but I thought the "trilogy" at the end was amazing

ALSO: do you like KEN mode? I think you'd like them based on shallow, north dakota and kittens (very cool bands)
Wow, thanks for the kind words. I didn't think anyone liked the old concert reviews but I'll see if I can dig up a few more for you.

With Sonic Youth I'd suggest checking out Goo first. Daydream Nation is good but I think they have better. Just remember what I said that for every good song on their albums there's usually a fucked up, skippable song. And for the Melvins I'd suggest Houdini.

KEN mode is opening for Today is the Day next month I think, so if I get to go I hope to make it there in time for them. Did they just release a new album that has some Lovcraftian looking octopus on the cover or something?

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 AM

Strapping Young Lad – City (1997)

Yeah, I’m one of “those guys”. The guys who got into Devin Townsend early on in Strapping Young Lads run and never understood what people see in Alien or Deconstruction. The guys that are like “what the fuck guys, his best album with Strapping was City”. City has probably one of the greatest openings in the history of recorded music. Velvet Kevorkian isn’t anything special but when it segues into All Hail the New Flesh, all that feedback and chaos, then the guitar riff starts playing, then the whole band kicks in and shit gets real. Yeah, Alien (). But maybe Alien is more consistent. After Detox this album does lose a lot of steam, only picking up during Underneath the Waves and the last song Spirituality. But you can’t blame it for losing steam. The first half of this album is just unrelenting and by Home Nucleonics I’m just done. You always have a special place in your heart for “your first”, and this was my first Devin Townsend record. This would've been in my top thirty because in all seriousness guys, his best album with Strapping was City.
Favorite Song: Detox

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-13-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM

Entombed
Clandestine (1991)

Wolverine Blues (1993)

DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth (1997)

Sepultura was the first really heavy band I got into but Entombed was the first one hundred percent legit death metal band I was into. It started with my friend Eric buying Wolverine Blues (for reasons unknown, he hated death metal) then giving it to me. I loved the hell out of it. I don't know why but I guess we always thought albums had to be an hour long because we found it so funny that a band would put out an album that was only a half hour (my version is the one that cuts Out Of Hand). Then I got DCLXVI and loved it even more. At that tender age I had never heard a piano solo in the middle of an extreme metal album (the title track) so I thought it was some of the coolest stuff I’d ever heard in my life. But things hit full tilt ten years later (don’t ask why it took me ten years) when I got Clandestine. That album just floored me, thanks in large part to the insane first two tracks Living Dead and Sinners Bleed. That little whistling feedback between the two songs into the chugging riff of Sinners Bleed is one of the best segues I’ve heard in my life. I personally love the odd chugga-riff and the one in Sinners Bleed is right up there with the Art of Dying by Gojira. One thing I’ve always loved about Entombed is their use of feedback. I don’t know if it’s done on purpose but all three songs I selected as my favorites have very prominent feedback. What kept the first two albums out of the top twenty is that there are just albums I like better, and what kept Clandestine out is I just don’t like the mastering. The volume’s too low. People may have a problem with Left Hand Path not being here but while that album has its moments, aside from the title track I’ve never really liked it that much.
Favorite Song (Clandestine): Sinners Bleed
Favorite Song (Wolverine Blues): Eyemaster
Favorite Song (DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth): Wreckage (I never even knew there was a video for this song until I went to post this!)

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (1994)

I canít believe that this album is almost twenty years old. A lot of music I have from back in the day is showing its age but this album still sounds as fresh to me now as it did then. This album opened my mind a lot. At the time I was listening to Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Primus; all great music but very barebones. There was so much going on during this album that it blew my head off. After listening to it on my CD player for weeks I taped it and started listening to it on my walkman and heard so much more that wasnít present during my first listens. The broken keyboard melody during the closing moments of Piggy, the tripped out guitar work during the intro to Eraser and the depressing theme that repeats during the end of Closer and the title track. Even today Iíll hear a song once and awhile and notice something I never heard before. It was also a lot more disturbing that a lot of the music I was listening to. Itís a sick, twisted album detailing sex, torture, disease and death. Tame by todayís standards, even tame then considering Cannibal Corpse was around, but pretty intense for a mainstream album that sold millions of copies.
Favorite Song: Reptile

07/06 -- U2
Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood (1996)

I’m of the minority that likes Neurosis’ later work but doesn’t see what the big deal is. A Sun That Never Sets wasn’t that good. The Eye of Every Storm sucked. Given to the Rising had its moments. The newest album I haven’t heard. I think they peaked with this album. While their later stuff is pretty stripped down and organic sounding this album is still undoubtly Neurosis but was very mechanical and almost industrial in parts. You just have to hear the sample that opens the album and you’ll realize that it’s not the same band. Now when they get into those long drawn out ambient parts they can get really boring but for whatever reason on this album it works for me. I think there’s just more going on. The bagpipes during the end Purify are so haunting and cleansing after the chaos of the song, and the intro to Strength Of Fates sends chills down my spine. I found too on this album that when they did rock they did it with a lot more aggression then they do now. The last shreds of the hardcore edge were still present on this album. And the artwork is fantastic. It fits how the music sounds perfectly. I still respect Neurosis but I don’t enjoy them as much as I did back then.
Favorite Song: Aeon

07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-21-2013 at 12:58 AM.