Deathwish Fest -- Cambridge, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Hunting High And Low

The Top 10 Most Important Bands Of Your Life

I was thinking the other day about bands that had a really big effect on me.I decided to create this thread wandering if anyone else would like to list their top ten most bands that had a real big effect on them music wise, life wise, and anything else that can be effected.I would also like to know why that band is so important to you, not looking for huge paragraphs and stories here, just a little info.Well here is mine:

10.Metallica
Effect: Introduced me to a more heavier style of music.My love for heavier stuff was spawned from me listening to "One" the first time.

9.Crashdiet
Effect: Told me that glam metal is not dead, in fact very far from it.Also made me actually want to discover underground bands, no matter what genre, and led me to discover lots of other new glam bands.

8.Extreme
Effect: They introduced me to funk metal, and all of their albums have had a significant effect on my guitar playing.I now and from now on will always go to their first three albums for inspiration for guitar.

7.The Beatles
Effect: The Beatles tought me to not just always care about how fast you can play or how good your riffs are on guitar.They tought me to focus on the simple chords and progressions, and I'm a much greater guitar player because of that.

6.Blind Guardian
Effect: These guys introduced me to power metal, and really got my interested in heavier stuff again after a long time of not wanting to listen to it (besides Metallica of course).Nightfall In Middle-Earth in particler has had an effect on my guitar playing.On a side not I love playing the Imaginations album when I'm playing a rpg/adventure game.

5.Aerosmith
Effect: Aerosmith really opened doors for me to discover other classic rock bands such as The Stones and Zepplin.Other than that, their bluesy style has probably had the most effect on my guitar playing out of all bands.

4.Bon Jovi
Effect: Bon Jovi was possibly the first rock band I ever listened to when I was in pre-school.Richie Sambora is at a tie with Joe Perry and Brad Whitford when it comes to guitar inspiration.This band has also released several albums that I've always listened to since forever, and they all bring back memories.

3.Stryper
Effect: At a time when I was getting really into rock/metal, Stryper was introduced to me very early on in my musical journey.They were a christian band that played the music I liked, so it was kinda exciting for me when I was little because nobody was doing that at the time (I was not a fan of quote on quote "Christian Rock" so to say).These guys also led me to being introduced to the whole glam metal genre, and you can see what effect that had.

2.Van Halen
Effect: Van Halen, basically the band that made me want to play guitar.Their whole first two albums were what really started it all for me guitar wise.I still remember when I would go to my friend's once a week and try learn all the songs on both of those records, good times.

1.Kiss
Effect: At the top spot, is Kiss.This is actually were it all started.They are the reason why I like rock/metal music, and I can't thank them enough for it.I was about 8 years old when I was flipping through OnDemand, when I found a couple of live videos by a band I once heard the name of, Kiss.It was Detroit Rock City, Strutter, Calling Dr. Love, Love Gun, and Rock And Roll All Nite from the the recently released at the time Kissology 2.These five videos made me go onto the internet and look up more, and that's when I became addicted.Those five videos are probably the most important videos that I watched of my whole life.

Last edited by TheWildAndTheYoung; 03-14-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Good thread. I'm not going to post in order of importance but in order of when they affected me.

Van Halen (1984?)
I’m not a big fan but my dad always tells me a story about when I was four years old and we were driving to my grandparent’s cottage. It was an hour and a half drive. He tells me that he had an audiocassette mix tape of stuff he’d recorded off the radio and that Jump was on it. And apparently I made him rewind and listen to Jump the whole drive there. So I guess it’s the first song I ever loved.

The Beatles (1987 or 1988)
The first band I ever listened to. At the age of seven my aunt bought me a compilation cassette by them called Rock & Roll Vol. 2, that was the first piece of recorded music I ever owned.

Nirvana (1991)
I liked the Beatles as a very young kid but that was pretty much it. Nirvana was the first band that made me start to really love music, made me start watching Muchmusic (Canada’s MTV) and start buying music.

Final Fantasy games (1991)
Not a band but maybe you could say Nobuo Uematsu, the composer? Favorite bands have come and gone but this is some of my favorite music ever spanning over twenty years.

Beck (1994)
Not a band, but an artist. He taught me that you didn’t have to just stick to one style. You could do everything on one album or sometimes in one song.

Nine Inch Nails (1994)
The first band that got me into music that wasn't just guitar, bass, drums and vocals. And the first band I listened to that was really experimental and more extreme, twisted and against the "norm".

Sepultura (1996)
The band that got me into really heavy music. A gateway band to the stuff I listen to today.

Faith No More (1997)
Same as Beck, but better.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (2000)
They’re just my favorite band. I love everything they do. From their samples, to their artwork, to their image and to their music they can do no wrong. This may sound fucked up but when I first started listening to them I was very unemployed and very depressed. And they made me feel even sadder but took my mind off it as well.

Enslaved (2006)
I never went to many concerts between 2000-2006. But for whatever reason I went and saw Enslaved in early 2007. And when I watched them play I was like, “why the hell don’t I go to more concerts?” So I started going to more and was glad I did.

On a side note, a lot of people have a problem with lists and polls taking over this board (I remember one person in particular). But I really have no problem with it at all. In fact, I've found Wild and Young's, Mankville's and the other lists that have been popping up here lately to be really entertaining. This board has turned into a ghost town since the end of 2012 so keep it up.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Not a number, I'm a free man

Here's a few of mine:

Slayer (2005) - My first really heavy band. I bought Seasons in the Abyss and Rust in Peace at an FYE in the local mall back when I was in the 10th grade, I remember I was a dollar short so I had to bum money off my dad. Why Seasons instead of South of Heaven or Reign in Blood? Well, Seasons didn't have a parental advisory sticker and it didn't appear to have any anti-religion songs on it which I wasn't sure if I could handle at the time. Anyways, they really turned me on to thrash and other heavier genres. I don't listen to much death metal or anything but I do enjoy a few heavier bands and Slayer was the first.

Rush (2008) - Before I got 2112 I was strictly into metal and not really into hard rock so I didn't listen to bands like Led Zep, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Tull, Scorpions, etc. 2112 showed me that louder and faster definitely doesn't always mean better. My classic hard rock 'phase' started after I got into Rush and eventually shifted from a phase into just what my tastes were. I deleted a lot of my more obscure metal bands because I just wasn't that into them anymore and now a lot of those classic bands are among my absolute favorites.

And the big one:

Iron Maiden (mid-August 2004) - The fact that I roughly remember the time of the month I first heard Iron Maiden shows in itself that they're pretty big for me. Anyways, when I was 14 I used to love Nintendo games and I was on a Star Fox binge around that time. I was posting on a Star Fox message board and there was a Norwegian guy on there who listened to a lot of metal and was always posting in the music related threads. I thought the song titles from Iron Maiden sounded pretty cool and he raved about them quite frequently so one night I decided to check them out to see what they sounded like. I logged on to AOL Radio () and waited until an Iron Maiden song came on.

The first song up was Infinite Dreams. I sat and listened to that song and was blown away. Once it had finished I couldn't decide if I absolutely loved it or if I was just blown away because it was so massively different to anything I had ever heard before. Prior to this I didn't listen to any music and I was raised on country and christian, I had only sparingly ever heard Kiss or The Beatles or freaking Bruce Springsteen or anything that was closely related to rock. So I didn't quite know how to process a heavy metal band like Iron Maiden. I thought I was in love but I wanted to be sure it wasn't a fluke before I started freaking out. So I waited for another Maiden song to come on and eventually Rime of the Ancient Mariner started (which I thought was a 4 minute song erroneously reported in the radio player as 14, how could a song be 14 minutes long?) and that's when I knew I was hooked.

It was drastically different from everything I ever heard and I loved it for that reason but I also knew I loved it because it was the fucking best. They've been my favorite band ever since that night a week or two before I started high school. I've spent thousands on them and traveled all up and down the Eastern part of the U.S. seeing them. this summer I'll be able to say I've traveled around the world seeing them. I got into heavy metal because of them, I got into rock and roll because of them, I got into music period because of them.

tl;dr they're ok
7/1 - Iron Maiden - Luxembourg
10/31 - Fleetwood Mac
Old 03-10-2013, 11:37 AM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

Iron Maiden

here's how it started for me
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=251

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Kvlt,Grim,Frostbitten,and Grindage

System Of A Down (2002)
The first time my sister played this,I knew right away Rock music was my thing. My first Metal band but also the first band I said I actually liked. Steal This Album is still amazing as the first time i heard it.

The Strokes (2004)
Before the whole hipster thing,I was a HUGE strokes fan. I thought they fuckin ruled. Room On Fire is still important to me.

The Adicts (2005)
This is the band that got me into Punk and made be open to more of of my favorite bands around that time(Dead Kennedys,Misfits,Ramones). But it all started with them. Also my first show,and it started with Rockers Into Orbit(live) being borrowed in 7th grade.

The Germs (2006)
My all time favorite band. They showed me punk can be whatever the fuck you want it to be. Crappy vocals,fast music,and genius lyrics. I still worship this band. Fuck you're Street Punk/Oi! bullshit,this is punk rock.

Black Flag (2007)
One of the most angry,pissed bands ever. Holy shit i thought they were great with the first 4 dudes then Henry made this go a whole other level. DAMAGED.

The Locust(2009)
I see how people see this band as the Greenday of Grindcore/Powerviolence. I had never heard fast music,with random lyrics,and strange costumes like that before. This was alien to me and it made punk seem like the slowest shit ever. Noisecore at its finest. Still not ashamed to say they're one of my favorite bands to this day.

Suicidal Tendencies/D.R.I./Municipal Waste (2009)
All 3 affected me the same way. I seriously couldnt not just choose 1. All 3 made me open my mind more to Thrash and just Metal and all its sub generes in general. The fact They could mix Punk and Metal like that still blows my mind this day. I saw all 3 one in 2009. Still to this day some of my favorite shows of all time.

Slayer (2010)
Thee band. Luckily Crossover got me into the real deal. And Slayer was the band that that i fuckin loved. I still do. You can't just not love slayer,you just cant.

Anal Cunt (2010)
The band i was looking for. Speedness and noise as the locust/naplm death and as offensive as the mentors and gg allin. The worst band ever,and i loved em for it. There will never be another AxCx. Rip seth.

Deafheaven (2011)
Trve Hipster Black Metal. Never has a band touched me this emotionally. Not only did it make me love black metal way more,it just changed my life forever. I <3 DFHVN
10/31-King Diamond

Last edited by elturtleboy; 03-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Semper Fidelis

Great idea for a thread. Off the top of my head:

1. Styx - Growing up my Dad listened to country and my Mom listened to classical so whatever exposure I had to rock music began at school. In 1980/1981 "Paradise Theater" was the first record I ever bought. Soon thereafter I bought "4" and "Escape." To this day, I still love 70's arena rock.

2. AC/DC - About the time I was getting into Styx, "Back in Black" had been released and was all over the radio. By the time "For Those About to Rock" came out the next year I was a big AC/DC fan. They introduced me to music that was a bit heavier than most of the radio rock I was listening to at the time. Which led me to...

3. Judas Priest - When I bought "Screaming for Vengeance" in 1982 it absolutely blew me away. I didn't think I would ever hear anything faster or heavier than "The Hellion." Priest immediately became my favorite band and is still one of my favorites to this day.

4. Rush - The first concert I ever attended was Rush/Golden Earring on the "Signals" tour in February 1983. I was a big Rush fan then and now. Rush is probably still the band I've seen live the most times.

5 - 7. Anthrax/Metallica/Raven - I lump these three together because I bought "Fistful of Metal," "Ride the Lightning," and "All for One" right around the same time. Basically anything that was on Megaforce was alright in my book. These bands were my introduction to thrash (a genre I still love) and served as a gateway to more extreme bands. I still listen to their 80's stuff frequently and cherish the fact that I got to see them all live in the mid 80's when (to me) they were at their peak.

8 - 9. Venom/Slayer - I've seen a few of you guys mention that certain bands seemed scary to you when you were younger. That is the way Venom and Slayer seemed to me back in 1984/1985. In those pre-internet days there wasn't much information available about bands outside of the radio or mainstream rock magazines like Circus or Hit Parader. I wasn't religious, but reading the lyrics to albums like "Hell Awaits" or "At War with Satan" was a bit scary at the time. They seemed pretty evil, but I still bought all of their albums!

10. Thin Lizzy - By the time I was getting into Thin Lizzy in 1984/1985 they had already broken up and before long Philip Lynott would be dead (January 1986). I remember hearing about his death on the radio before heading to high school one morning and how much it saddened me. It still saddens me. I've seen Thin Lizzy numerous times over the years with their various reunion lineups but if I could go back in time and only see one live act, it would be Thin Lizzy with Phil. I still listen to Lizzy all of the time and the older I get, the more I appreciate Phil's music.

I still love all of these bands and, with the exception of Metallica, try to catch their shows whenever they come through town.

I'm glad this thread got started. It made me think back to when I first started listening to metal and brought back a lot of great memories. Good times...
07/31 - W.O.A.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 AM
One who onions things

No real order here at all, except Priest and Van Halen being at the top.

1. Van Halen- The first album was one of the first CDs I ever bought and it's still my all time favorite album. Without it, I definitely wouldn't have such a huge love for hard rock and heavy music in general. I wrote my college essay to get into UCLA on how this album made me who I am today, and I still love every single DLR album (and 5150) to death.

2. Judas Priest - I was lame and heard You've Got Another Thing Comin' for the first time through Guitar Hero. But literally from the first time I heard it I fell in love with the downpicked chugging riff. When I was first getting into music and listening to a lot of classic rock, I'd listen to British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance all the time. I love all of their albums with Halford except Rocka Rolla and Nostradamus- the streak from Sad Wings to Painkiller is the most amazing in metal history as far as I'm concerned, and I love every one of those albums so much. It was when I decided to learn Judas Priest songs that I also started to get really good at guitar. Living After Midnight was the first full metal song I ever learned to play, and it just skyrocketed from there. Priest have basically been my favorite band since I was 14, and I doubt that'll change any time soon.

3. Kreator - Junior year of high school I was insanely overwhelmed with just a big variety of stuff. Hordes of Chaos, Violent Revolution and Pleasure to Kill were the soundtracks to my mental exhaustion, and also the super fun times I would have. It was both an outlet for the stress and frustration that I experienced that year, and the music that I would love to play in the car as my friends and I would adventure to In n Out. That year I also saw Kreator for the first time, and the Pleasure to Kill shirt I picked up was the first band shirt I wore that made me feel really special and unique among my peers. I wasn't just that metalhead kid anymore, I was that metalhead kid who would wear his passion on his sleeves, and not care what others thought. I still kind of feel that way whenever I wear that shirt.

4. Slough Feg - When I picked up The Animal Spirits during senior year of high school, I basically altered the course of my life forever. When looking for bands like Slough Feg, I ended up discovering bands like Hammers of Misfortune, Ludicra, and Cormorant through sites like Pitchfork, Invisible Oranges and of course, this site. I always knew how amazing these albums sounded and that the bands were all from the bay, but I slowly began to see one name appear everywhere when it came to these bands: Justin Weis. When Dwellings came out in late 2011, I realized that Justin was a true master of audio engineering, and that I would do anything to be able to work with him. Long story short, that actually happened (that's a story for another day ) and after working with Justin for a good while, I got to assist with the engineering of the upcoming Slough Feg album. This shit was cyclical as fuck. Without the Feg, I would never have met Justin, and who knows where I would be at as an audio engineer. Not to mention, every one of Slough Feg's albums rule, that's important of course!

I'll add more later when it isn't 4 in the fricken morning.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM
PAAAAAAANTURRRUUUHHHHHH!! !!!!

1. Rainbow
Rainbow was the first band that I ever remember listening to. I remember everytime "Man On The Silver Mountain" would come on the radio I would force my Mom to turn it up.

2. Rob Zombie
The first album I ever bought on my own was "Hellbilly Delux". I am not much a fan anymore, but I still have this album on my CD shelf and cherish it for being the album that I first got.

3. Slipknot
Yes, I was around in the almighty "Slipknot Era". As with Zombie, I am not much a fan anymore, I do enjoy a few songs, but overall it is just blah to my musical ear these days, but they were the band that started to get me more into the "heavier" music. Also, the Disasterpieces DVD was the DVD that inspired me to drum (Joey drum cam).

4. Slayer
Slayer is the band that really bridged the gap for me. I started with Slipknot, and then found Slayer. I had always known the name, but never the music. I believe the first song I ever heard from them was "Raining Blood" in the GTA: Vice City game, and I was hooked ever since. And with Slipknot, the drumming... THE DRUMMING!!! I knew what I had to be after listening to this beast.

5. Sepultura
Who the hell are these guys? I'll give them a shot. Those were my first words when I put in the "Heart of Roadrunner" compilation CD. I had no idea who Sepultura was, the name was cool, but that's all I could tell. Well shit... they are now one of my favorite bands ever. The first track I heard, Roots, got me hooked. Sure, this album is looked down upon, but the drumming... THE DRUMMING. It was insanely influencial and really opened my mind to everything outside of the normal metal drumming. Add some toms, add some tribal shit, be different.

6. Faith No More
FNM is most likely THEE band that helped me open my mind. Not everything I listen to has to be brutal, fast, heavy, etc, it can be more along the rock lines, and FNM helped me find that. After becoming so big on them I finally started to pay attention to Mike Patton's other projects, and realized how amazing he is at what he does.

7. BTBAM
I never liked BTBAM. I hated them. They sucked. They sounded like every other noodly tech death band out there... until I heard Colors. There isn't much I can say, other than my mind was blown, I had escaped into a whole new thing. It was amazing.

8. Absu
Everyone here knows how much I love Absu, and as for most of the other bands on here... the drumming. How can someone manage to do lead vocals AND drum with such intensity as well as technicallity? Proscriptor changed my whole perspective of drumming, as Igor did when I first got into Sepultura. It wasn't until recenetly that I revisited "The Sun of..." and realized just how amazing Absu actually was.

9. Melechesh
Most of these bands are about how the bands have affected my drumming, and this is no different. Melechesh brought me into a realm of Genies, Sorcerors, and.... Mesopotamian... Music . The fact that they can bring in some traditional rhythms and drum beats from Arabic styles is beyond me, but it is just so fucking amazing

10. PANTURRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHH!!!!!

kidding...
RUSH!

Neil Peart. End of story. And after watching his most recent DVD..... . Could never leave out such an amazing band.

Sorry, quickly typing these up while on my lunch break. I'll probably re-read all of this and realize how terrible I wrote this up

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Cowboy From Hell

While these bands were important in the scheme of what I have listened to in metal through out the years they are not necessarily my favorite metal bands especially at this time.

Pantera – My all -time favorite band. I ended up being a mod on their official website and running the now defunct VinnieAndDime.com. I actually hung out with the boys on several occasions. Nice guys with lots of fond memories.

Guns N’ Roses – Back in my teen years when GNR burst onto the scene it seemed like very few other bands existed. I loved Appetite for Destruction and it helped turn me on to other bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Once Use Your Illusions came out my interested started to sour but those albums are very good too in their own right.

Metallica – Similar to Guns N’ Roses, I was in to Metallica. They were my favorite metal band until the black album dropped. The lack of thrash made me lose some interest although I still enjoyed their music.

Danzig – I was a huge Misfits/Danzig fan. Those first 4 albums were full of great riffs inspired by AC/DC and Black Sabbath. Back in the 90’s I loved that band with all of their cheesy satanic imagery. John Christ was a very underrated guitarist in my opinion.

Black Sabbath – Quiet possibly my favorite band today. I shouldn’t have to explain why. Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master Of Reality, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are all awesome albums. Ozzy, Dio, Iommi, Geezer, Ward, Appice - you can't go wrong with those guys imo.

Alice In Chains – Like Danzig, AiC was inspired by Sabbath among other bands. Layne’s lyrics hit home and I could feel the emotion in the music. The acoustic pieces were fantastic then and their music holds up well today.

Ozzy Osbourne – As a guitar player it was hard not to like Ozzy’s music back in the day. Everything from Randy thru Jake E. Lee until after No More Tears was solid, except for maybe the Bark at the Moon album.

Judas Priest – Painkiller turned me on to the older Priest albums when I bought it back in the early 90’s. This also helped me forge a love of classic metal ranging from Dio to Sabbath to Maiden. Priest was the gateway band that made get into the classic metal.

Down – Another Sabbath inspired and similar sounding (in some ways) band. I love the first two albums. The 3rd album is great and the IV: Part 1 ep is solid as hell too in my opinion. I have seen Down live more than any other band on my list. Windstein and Keenan can create some of best southern sludge riffs.

Mastodon – All of their albums are excellent from start to finish. Some are a bit better than others in my opinion. They create quality music which I believe will be remembered years from now along the lines of early Metallica (KEA thru AJFA), Ozzy era Sabbath (first 6 albums) and those Anselmo era Pantera albums as some of the best albums ever released in their era.

Honorable Mention:
Slayer
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Hank 3
Johnny Cash
Anthrax

I could swap out half of the honorable mentions with other bands on my list depending on my mood or listening preferrences at the moment.

Last edited by WOLVERINEKILLS; 03-13-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Catch The Rainbow

In no particular order since all are important to me for different reasons.

Led Zeppelin
Iron Maiden
RUSH
Scorpions
Styx
Journey
Yes
Metallica
Doors
Black Sabbath